PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 / 2019 Celtics Open Discussion

- Nah, I love Baynes. He's perfect for us. We don't really start a center...and Baynes can actually knock down some shots.

- We need a Bird replacement now.

- Man, I cannot wait for this season to start in 32 days!!! 60+ wins is the expectation from me.
are u still hyped? they look like dog sh-t.

They're off to a pretty slow start and missing shots and I can't figure out why exactly.
Annoying!!!

Too much talent, IMO. Need to gel!

This team is really starting to piss me off...
tell me about it. they need more veteran players. the celts have too many players trying to establish their careers. worried about playing time. instead of sacrificing for a championship. they also have too many guys playing for contracts. and Hayward needs a lot more time to regain his all-star form. it's a bad mix.

tell me about it. they need more veteran players. the celts have too many players trying to establish their careers. worried about playing time. instead of sacrificing for a championship. they also have too many guys playing for contracts. and Hayward needs a lot more time to regain his all-star form. it's a bad mix.
I agree. And Hayward, in my opinion, is passing off far too much and not taking shots he should be taking.

Bullet Point Tuesday:
-Currently the C's are averaging 10 fewer free throw attempts per game than the free throw leaders....including Golden State....19 vs 29 attempts.....which translates to approximately 8 extra free points per game
-The C's are (-2) in total rebounds per game compared to their opponents translating to 2 extra shots for the opposition. I suspect the disparity is significantly worse in their losses.
-C's are middle of the pack in assists which is better than I expected....but....if anyone knows where to locate the stat that shows where the baskets from the assists are actually made, I'd like to view this. No doubt most assists are delivered to the perimeter.
-With Kyrie on the floor, the offense defers to him and the other 4 take on a subservient beta role
-Without Kyrie (last year), the starters clearly had a more alpha mindset.
Their energy level changes
-The Brad knows what kind of team he has....weak in the paint (offense, defense, rebounding) ...therefore he compensates with his launch party game plan that includes Marcus Smart (worst shooter in NBA), Jaylon Brown (poor college shooter), the Aussie Sniper, and Max Salary Al with his 10 pts and 5 boards /per game.
-The Bucks game is the perfect example of who the C's are: Knowing they would get destroyed inside by the Greek Freak, and they were, The Brad had his team execute a record setting long distance bombardment.....and the math % worked on this night. Bucks relied on 2's / C's went for 3's.....the new NBA in action.
Note: Golden State has both inside and outside games....and multiple trophies

-My eyes see: A completely uninvested Brown who is given no role in the offense.
A marginalized Rozier. Then there's Smart....compared to last postseason when he was asked night after night to be the heart and sole of the team who propeled his teammates emotionally.....now......a guy who is slotted for minutes with the back up crew.

-I am conflicted about giving Kyrie supermax bucks. No question he's the best baller but the rest of the team becomes flat footed waiting for him to perform end of game miracles. Still too early to over analyze his +/- while he's on the court given the mess this team is right now

-Hayward....what can you do? He needs minutes but he's a liability right now. No question his presence is stunting Brown. Again ....what's the alternative?

-Needs: a presence in the paint and a certified NBA sniper.
-Chips available: Brown and what will likely be 2 mid 1st round #1's (Sacramento and Memphis)
The roster is too deep and should be condensed via trade to begin to fill apparent holes.
-My binky....give Semi more minutes at Brown and Hayward's expense.

-Finally....the C's continue their alarming trend from last year....Horrendous 1st quarter shooting. Instead of lay up drills in pre-game, the Brad should install 5 on 5 half court death match simulations. Get these guys minds and bodies into game mode before the opening jump ball. Their grab-ass shoot around pre-game ain't working.
Outside the box....Bradley....pay attention to this football site's Celtics message board for more amazing future advice!!
:)

Last edited:
good win tonight. the better gordon hayward is the better the offense will be. people forget how good he was before he got hurt.
Great game, lots of intensity, refs let 'em bang a bit....love games that have meaning.
Stats that popped from last night besides Irving going off:
Celts shot 60% from 2 point range, 34% from 3
Celts launched 13 less 3's than average
Hayward played 39 minutes (+13 vs average minutes) including crunch time + OT while Brown sat.
Hayward was a perfect 6/6 from the line most if not all in crunch time.
Brown currently is a 65% FT shooter
Hayward had 5 assists/4 steals last night
Brown had 0 assists / 0 steals

Observations: Hayward looking very comfortable, you can see his basketball IQ in action. Anticipation on defense, creative passing....dimensions sorely needed on the C's.
With Hayward's FT skills, Brown will be riding a lot of 4th qtr pine.
K. Leonard is as fluid an athlete as I've seen in the NBA. If I was to start a roster, I might start with him though Durant would be tough to pass on (setting his ego aside).
Toronto really has a talented starting 5 but Boston's bench is superior
Tatum needs to pump the breaks on his dribble game. Toronto clearly had instructions......when Tatum puts the ball on the floor, go get it....and they did (3 TOs).
Let's see if last night's shift in shot selection is a new trend (I hope) or circumstance vs a team that they match up better against inside the 3 pt line.
Driving to the hoop, dishing to cutters, rebounding, getting to the line have to be a bigger part of the C's offense on a regular basis.

Great game, lots of intensity, refs let 'em bang a bit....love games that have meaning.
Stats that popped from last night besides Irving going off:
Celts shot 60% from 2 point range, 34% from 3
Celts launched 13 less 3's than average
Hayward played 39 minutes (+13 vs average minutes) including crunch time + OT while Brown sat.
Hayward was a perfect 6/6 from the line most if not all in crunch time.
Brown currently is a 65% FT shooter
Hayward had 5 assists/4 steals last night
Brown had 0 assists / 0 steals

Observations: Hayward looking very comfortable, you can see his basketball IQ in action. Anticipation on defense, creative passing....dimensions sorely needed on the C's.
With Hayward's FT skills, Brown will be riding a lot of 4th qtr pine.
K. Leonard is as fluid an athlete as I've seen in the NBA. If I was to start a roster, I might start with him though Durant would be tough to pass on (setting his ego aside).
Toronto really has a talented starting 5 but Boston's bench is superior
Tatum needs to pump the breaks on his dribble game. Toronto clearly had instructions......when Tatum puts the ball on the floor, go get it....and they did (3 TOs).
Let's see if last night's shift in shot selection is a new trend (I hope) or circumstance vs a team that they match up better against inside the 3 pt line.
Driving to the hoop, dishing to cutters, rebounding, getting to the line have to be a bigger part of the C's offense on a regular basis.
i think jaylan brown is trade bait. and k Leonard is unbelievable. he's always under control and plays with so much poise. toronto will be an extremely tough out come playoff time.

Trader Danny and the Brad deserve to shoulder some blame for the C's offensive woes.
Ainge has assembled a starting 5 of supposed "scorers"....but without a certified assist guy to feed them. When your superstar is a shoot first point guard.....it's no surprise the rest of the team is flat footed.
If you look at Irving's career stats, he is very similar to Steph Curry but just a peg lower in every category, but not by much. The difference between the Warriors and C's is that GS has bonafide snipers, not newly created long distance hopefuls. Golden State also has a jack of all trades role player in the starting lineup.
Green averages 11 points, 7+ boards, 7+ assists, 1.2 blocks in recent years.
Boston's role player for all intents and purposes is Max Contract Al.
Horford averages 11 points, 7 + boards, 4+ assists, 1.2 blocks... as a C...but costs $10 mill more.
Even Durant is averaging 5+ assists as Warrior.
Brown and Tatum combined....3 assists this year.
Hayward ....3 assists.
Stats are pretty clear....this team is one dimensional right now and the highly acclaimed coach with his supposed bottomless playbook can't seem to get anyone open close to the basket. Instead......he coordinates the Boston Jump Shooters.

I get that the Hayward injury has handcuffed this coach right now and I do see glimpses of what GH can bring......Shooting accuracy and creativity... and in time GH could be the key to unlocking this offense. But....the starting 5 + Morris are more finesse than anything else and Trader Danny needs to add a guy who can play inside offensively and grab boards.

OT....Draft bounty not so good after 20% of season played
Memphis 10-5 (draft position ....26)
Sacramento 8-8 (draft position 12)
Boston 9-7 (draft position 20)

There are people on this forum that legitimately thought if the 76'ers got Lebron we would still be the odds on favorite to go to the Finals last year. Way too many people played the "what if" game excusing not winning an ECF that was ours for the taking because "our two best players were out".

This team has a lot of work to do and needs to figure out what it wants to be. Because right now it's completely aimless

"Mindset"
Last year....three young ones were heavily invested....Rozier, Tatum, Brown.
This year....Tatum and especially Brown are required to defer to the primary scorer Kyrie, and Rozier is simply a bench piece.
I would like to see The Brad start a lineup of Max Contract Al, The Aussie Banger, Tatum, Brown, Irving.....and just take the ball inside play after play. Create fouls, get to the line, take high % shots....and be relentless. These first quarters of just launching errant 3's has to stop.
0-10 streak from 3 pt range
1-15 before poor shooting ended
These anemic starts crush the team's "mindset" and odds to pull off a victory.
Ainge and Brad are ignoring players strengths and asking some to be what they aren't .....snipers. Tatum has post up moves and a mid range game. Brown was never a shooter but has athleticism. Stop sending them 23 ft out.
Worse....with so much spacing because everyone is on the perimeter, the C's still aren't slashing. In the good ole days, the weave created penetration opportunities with creative passes. The C's weave is designed to create jumpshots, jumpshots, and more jumpshots.
What a mess
Give Smart a start and let him set the tone...'we're here to fight for this win'
These young guys just don't seem as invested now with the two 'superstars' back on the roster

19th......3Pt%
28th.....FG%

The C's 2Pt% must be the worst in the NBA

29th......Free Throw attempts/game

These few stats say it all....A poor shooting team with no game inside the arc.

Consider their Power Forward (Tatum), their starting Center (Max Contract Al), their backup Power Forward (Morris) and at times their backup Center (The Aussie Sniper) are all coached to lurk 22' away from the basket on offense.

Assists, rebounds, TOs, Blocks, etc are all average to above average in ranking

How many amazing assists have you seen this year?
How many easy interior baskets off of set plays?
Who are the C's legitimate inside threats?

The Brad needs to expand beyond the Globetrotter Weave offense that settles for jump shots.

2019 Draft Projection........what a cluster fu**

#15.....Celtics
#18.....Celtics via Sacramento
#27.....Celtics via Memphis

Who'da thunk The Boston Jump Shooters' pick would be their prime draft asset.
I can't root against the BJS yet......maybe after the trade deadline passes when Trader Danny panics and brings in another jump shooting big man for 2 #1's and Jaylen Brown

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back