PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NE FA market & targets

Pats claimed WR Devin Street, waived by the Colts.

The Pats traded a 2018 4th (possible 3rd) for Rowe. The Eagles were reportedly looking for a 2017 5th for Kendricks initially.

I think it was down to 6th a while ago, so any pick or depth player Id guess at this point.

Pats have two 5th in 2018, and if BB was interested he'd have no problem sending one away (especially since its 5th). He might like LBs he has more. We'll see. Id still like to see one solid and fast cover LB brought in but maybe they like what they see in KVN / Bates.

Here an interesting article on Bates from last preseason w Colts:
Bates says Colts may at some point move him to ILB

quote:
Bates listed his quickness, burst, and initial get-off as some of his strengths, and he noted that at Maine he did play some outside linebacker in some of the 3-4 packages despite playing mostly defensive end in their 4-3 system. In other words, Bates said he's used to playing outside linebacker and dropping into coverage, so he's confident in his ability to adjust at the next level.

Last edited:
I think it was down to 6th a while ago, so any pick or depth player Id guess at this point.

Pats have two 5th in 2018, and if BB was interested he'd have no problem sending one away (especially since its 5th). He might like LBs he has more. We'll see. Id still like to see one solid and fast cover LB brought in but maybe they like what they see in KVN / Bates.

Here an interesting article on Bates from last preseason w Colts:
Bates says Colts may at some point move him to ILB

quote:
Bates listed his quickness, burst, and initial get-off as some of his strengths, and he noted that at Maine he did play some outside linebacker in some of the 3-4 packages despite playing mostly defensive end in their 4-3 system. In other words, Bates said he's used to playing outside linebacker and dropping into coverage, so he's confident in his ability to adjust at the next level.

The Eagles may still be looking for help at CB. After rookie camp and mandatory mini-camp and things have shaken out a bit and both teams have had a chance to see what they have, maybe the Pats could get Kendricks for Justin Coleman, either straight up or the Pats trow in a 2018 7th.

While Bates' 4.78 40 doesn't look so hot, he also had a 1.57 10-yd split, a 4.25 shuttle and a 6.75 3-cone ... at 6010/245. Not too many LBs at the Combine could match that combined score at any weight.

Possibly another positive sign for Langi..

There's little doubt that ILB backup/understudy is Langi's job to lose.

Pats claimed WR Devin Street, waived by the Colts.
This is the 2nd time he has signed here within the year. There is obviously something in him that Bill likes; and based on his measurables & production, I can understand why. The odds are obviously stacked against his making the final 53, but let's see what we have with a full TC & pre-season schedule.

This is the 2nd time he has signed here within the year. There is obviously something in him that Bill likes; and based on his measurables & production, I can understand why. The odds are obviously stacked against his making the final 53, but let's see what we have with a full TC & pre-season schedule.

Agree.

Street's 4.01 shuttle and 6.89 3-cone (6.72 at his Pro Day) certainly got noticed.

And, unlike most Psquadders, BB/Caserio have had a lot of opportunity to scout Street playing at an NFL level.

There also may be some connection with Dion Lewis via Pitt since they were on the team together in 2010 when Street was a freshman.

Just a reminder ...

At the end of business today (Tuesday), every unsigned UFA becomes a street free agent and signing them no longer affects the 2018 comp pick calculations.

Here's the NFLTR List, FWIW.

Let me add this also on this board for some LB discussion that is clearly still very much alive in Foxboro
__

The search for LB depth as expected not over . direction as projected: hybrid, faster option w situational capacity (hopefully also in coverage) + core ST (KGH, Worrilow..)

The guy is quite a story..
#52 LB Andrew Gachkar: Overcame a Life Threatening Syndrome to Reach NFL - 5 Points Blue

quote:

“Physically, I fit better into the Cowboys’ 4-3 defense. With the 3-4 defense we played in San Diego, I was always a little undersized. I was definitely a nickel player for them last year (the “nickel” defensive package is 4 linemen, 2 linebackers, 5 defensive backs; it requires agile linebackers who are good in pass coverage). And even here in Dallas I’ll gravitate more to the nickel because I love to play it. But I fit into the 4-3, too, because the guys are more my type of size and athletic ability. So it’s re-learning different functional movements and run fits. I’ve had to re-learn from the ground-up. It’s a completely different mindset and a completely different set of teaching. It’s a great thing and I really love the way Eberflus coaches it. I’m really glad to be here.”

Last edited:
Just a reminder ...

At the end of business today (Tuesday), every unsigned UFA becomes a street free agent and signing them no longer affects the 2018 comp pick calculations.

Here's the NFLTR List, FWIW.
Nice list.
Out of those listed, my preferences would be, by position:

LT - Ryan Clady
RT - Will Beatty
C - Nick Mangold
OG - Andrew Tiller
OG - Austin Pasztor
TE - Gary Barnidge
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Anquan Bolden
RB - Passthe Blunt
QB - Ryan Nassib
DT - SenDerrick Marks
DT - Roy Miller (if healthy)
DE - Devin Taylor
DE - Jason Jones
ILB - Gerald Hodges
OLB - DeAndre Levy (if healthy)
OLB - Andrew Gachkar
CB - Jason McCourty
CB - Sam Shields (if healthy)
S - Tre Boston
S - Daimion Stafford

Nice list.
Out of those listed, my preferences would be, by position:

LT - Ryan Clady
RT - Will Beatty
C - Nick Mangold
OG - Andrew Tiller
OG - Austin Pasztor
TE - Gary Barnidge
WR - Michael Floyd
WR - Anquan Bolden
RB - Passthe Blunt
QB - Ryan Nassib
DT - SenDerrick Marks
DT - Roy Miller (if healthy)
DE - Devin Taylor
DE - Jason Jones
ILB - Gerald Hodges
OLB - DeAndre Levy (if healthy)
OLB - Andrew Gachkar
CB - Jason McCourty
CB - Sam Shields (if healthy)
S - Tre Boston
S - Daimion Stafford

The trick is finding guys who'd be willing to sign cheaply enough for the Pats to be able to afford to cut them at the end of Camp - if they don't work out or if they get beat out by one of the rookies.

By "cheaply enough", I mean in terms of guaranteed money that would become dead money against the cap.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back