PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

agree completely
prewitt and Harvey-clemons are along with Collins from Alabama my top safeties for next year. Im sure a lot more will rise during the year but thats the ideal type of player i would like to see next to mccourty

agree completely
prewitt and Harvey-clemons are along with Collins from Alabama my top safeties for next year. Im sure a lot more will rise during the year but thats the ideal type of player i would like to see next to mccourty

It's interesting that the Chadiha article which I listed - only 2 years old - spoke of the safety position like it was becoming extinct:

"You will get to the point where you're playing with four cornerbacks out there," [Mike] Pettine said. "The day of the true safety is about over because of the speed of the game. When we're looking at safeties in the draft, once you get past the no-brainer guys -- like Eric Berry -- we're looking at slower college cornerbacks. Because right now, safeties are becoming like fullbacks on offense. They're becoming extinct."

Interestingly, both safeties and fullbacks seem to be evolving rather than becoming extinct. Guys like Trey Millard and Gator Hoskins are Swiss Army Knife offensive weapons, and the big safety is evolving to a hybrid role rather than disappearing as well. Note that with McCourty and Logan Ryan at Safetry and Revis, Browner and Denanrd at CB the Pats would effectively have 5 cornerbacks on the field - or 5 guys with CB capability and coverage ability. But the big safety isn't going away, either.

For all the Jadeveon Clowney accolades, I expect Shawn Oakman to have a huge year:

Shawn Oakman gave a sample of what he could achieve as a full-time starter in 2014 with two of the Bears’ five sacks. The 6-foot-9, 275-pound defensive end racked up 12.5 tackles for loss in a part-time role last season and is poised to take his game to the next level as a junior, on a defensive line that coach Art Briles believes can be good as any in the country. “We can’t block him,” Briles said, “and I don’t think anyone else will, either.”

2014 Big 12 spr - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

I doubt the Pats will get within 20 picks of him, whenever he does come out.

It's interesting that the Chadiha article which I listed - only 2 years old - spoke of the safety position like it was becoming extinct:

Interestingly, both safeties and fullbacks seem to be evolving rather than becoming extinct. Guys like Trey Millard and Gator Hoskins are Swiss Army Knife offensive weapons, and the big safety is evolving to a hybrid role rather than disappearing as well. Note that with McCourty and Logan Ryan at Safetry and Revis, Browner and Denanrd at CB the Pats would effectively have 5 cornerbacks on the field - or 5 guys with CB capability and coverage ability. But the big safety isn't going away, either.

Interesting indeed. The field is getting any larger horizontally so teams go for the advantage vertically. I like it.

My Personal Favorite Prospect Team for 2015:
QB: Bo Wallace, Ole Miss; Marcus Mariota, Oregon; Connor Cook, MSU; Anthony Boone, Duke (project); Braxton Miller, Ohio State (project)
RB: Todd Gurley, UGA; Duke Johnson, Miami; Keith Marshall, UGA; Kenyan Drake, Bama; Prince-Tyson Gulley, Cuse'; Josh Snead, Duke
WR: Amari Cooper, Bama; Jordan Taylor, Rice; Jamison Crowder, Duke; Stefon Diggs, Maryland
TE: Devin Funchess, Michigan; Tyler Kroft, Rutgers; Braxton Deaver, Duke; Jesse James, Penn State
OT: Brandon Scherff, Iowa; Cameron Erving, FSU
OG: Laken Tomlinson, Duke; Arie Kouandjio, Bama
C: Hroniss Grassu, Oregon; David Andrews, UGA

DE: Shilique Calhoun, MSU; Mario Edwards Jr., FSU
DT: Leonard Williams, USC; Arik Armstead, Oregon
OLB: Jordan Jenkins, UGA; Shaq Thompson, Washington
ILB: Ramik Wilson, UGA
CB: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon; Damian Swann, UGA
FS: Jermaine Whitehead, Auburn
SS: Josh Harvey-Clemons, Louisville

P: Sam Irwin-Hill, Arkansas

Wouldn't this be the outline of an absolute insane NCAA team?
Remember these names and remember I called it :)

Next man up for the title of "the next Jamie Collins"? Utah St. red-shirt junior LB Kyler Fackrell (6'5" 245#):

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/56730439-77/fackrell-state-utah-football.html.csp

Fackrell was a basketball and volleyball player who used those sports to cross-train and hone his movement skills for football, and who played QB, WR and kick returner as well as LB in high school. He was a 2012 freshman All-American (87 tackles, 3 sacks, 8 TFL and 3 INTs), and followed that up with a stellar 2013 season including 82 tackles, 5 sacks, 13 TFL and a pick-6.

Here's a clip showing Collinesque coverage and running ability, making a 99 yard pick-6 against Hawaii:

Here's another clip which includes him making a sack coming off the edge that forced a fumble and clinched the game against San Jose St. (see around 4:40 in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67xO9m4B7Q&feature=player_detailpage

And for anyone thinking he's "under the radar", Mel Kiper has Frackell at #18 on his first top-25 big board:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015-nfl-draft/2014/5/26/5746230/2015-nfl-draft-utah-state-kyler-Fackrell-mel-kiper

An intriguing guy to keep an eye on for 2015.

Last edited:
Dane Brugler profiles Baylor prospects for 2015, including a couple of guys who would be great fits for the Pats:

1. OT Spencer Drango, RS Junior (6-5 | 315 | 5.10 | #58)

One of the top offensive linemen in college football, Drango has an impressive NFL skill-set as the game appears to come very easily to him, showing similarities to Dallas Cowboys' 2014 first rounder Zach Martin in some areas. The Bears starting left tackle the last two seasons, he has an easy kickslide with a wide base and the fluid lower body movements to properly protect the pocket from speed or power rushers. Drango is always alert and rarely caught off guard with a high football IQ and overall awareness to process situations quickly. He has the stone hands to jolt with little resistance, displaying the balance to handle defenders and stay off the ground. Drango has very few holes to his game, but Nov. 2013 back surgery is a bright red flag and definitely something to monitor. If healthy and there are no long-term concerns, he has the overall ability to compete to be the top tackle drafted when he goes pro.

2. DE Shawn Oakman, RS Junior (6-8 | 285 | 4.92 | #2)

A freakish specimen on the hoof, Oakman is just scratching the surface of who he can be as a football player. He started his collegiate career at Penn State, but several off-field issues and poor academics led to his dismissal by then head coach Bill O'Brien. Tabbed as angry and troubled, but not a bad kid, Oakman transferred to Baylor, sitting out the 2012 season, and played a part-time role in 2013, finishing among the Big 12 leaders in tackles for loss (12.5). While leverage will always be an issue due to his height, he plays much lighter than he looks with burst off the ball to rush the pocket and the coordination to drop and play comfortably on his feet in space. According to Briles, Oakman has a “chance to be dominant” and if he takes the next step in his development in 2014, he has legitimate talent to be considered an early first round pick, projecting best as a five-technique in a 3-4 scheme.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24576829/nfl-draft-baylor-preview

Drango could be a good tackle-guard option and potential long-term replacement for Logan Mankins. Oakman combines elements of Calais Campbell and Michael Johnson - his is unusually explosive for such a big man, though he needs to get more consistent.

I mainly watched the Big 10 last year. I know boring. But, I'm a PSU fan/alum. Shawn Oakman would have really helped us the last couple of years. He got booted from PSU. Can't find the link but have read that he's really cleaned his act up since going to Baylor. Our best senior pro prospect is probably Adrian Amos. He might actually fit what NFL defenses are trying to do. He played cb as frosh and soph. Got moved to safety and struggled. Switched back to cb. I never thought we had good db coaches and it held our pass defense back. Franklin's staff is moving him back to safety and he's got pretty good coverage skills. Could be a mid-round prospect 3-5 who fills a hole. Another kid who might fill a hole is Mike Hull - LB 6'2 220LB. He ran a 4.55 and benches over 400lb. Animal in the weight room. Hurt his knee in the first game and never got a chance to show what he can do. Was very highly touted coming out of high school. 5* recruit. Another position where he seems to fit what we can use.

A couple of guys who impressed me playing against PSU last year were;

1. Randy Gregory - 6'6" 240lb(last year) - DE - Nebraska - Very highly touted JUCO
Some think he's the top senior de. Oakman is a red-shirt soph.
2. Frank Clark - DT - Michigan could be a very good 3-tech dt if he puts some weight on. 6'2" 277lb. Originally recuited as a safety, John Randle type quickness.

I think Braxton Miller can play rb in the NFL. Funchess is a good flex-te.

I mainly watched the Big 10 last year. I know boring. But, I'm a PSU fan/alum. Shawn Oakman would have really helped us the last couple of years. He got booted from PSU. Can't find the link but have read that he's really cleaned his act up since going to Baylor. Our best senior pro prospect is probably Adrian Amos. He might actually fit what NFL defenses are trying to do. He played cb as frosh and soph. Got moved to safety and struggled. Switched back to cb. I never thought we had good db coaches and it held our pass defense back. Franklin's staff is moving him back to safety and he's got pretty good coverage skills. Could be a mid-round prospect 3-5 who fills a hole. Another kid who might fill a hole is Mike Hull - LB 6'2 220LB. He ran a 4.55 and benches over 400lb. Animal in the weight room. Hurt his knee in the first game and never got a chance to show what he can do. Was very highly touted coming out of high school. 5* recruit. Another position where he seems to fit what we can use.

A couple of guys who impressed me playing against PSU last year were;

1. Randy Gregory - 6'6" 240lb(last year) - DE - Nebraska - Very highly touted JUCO
Some think he's the top senior de. Oakman is a red-shirt soph.
2. Frank Clark - DT - Michigan could be a very good 3-tech dt if he puts some weight on. 6'2" 277lb. Originally recuited as a safety, John Randle type quickness.

I think Braxton Miller can play rb in the NFL. Funchess is a good flex-te.

Oakman is a red-shirt junior this year, I believe. Funchess will supposedly play mostly as a WR this year. Gregory is indeed being very highly hyped right now - this year's Anthony Barr, for the moment at least.

Some other big 10 prospects of interest:

- DT Michael Bennett, Ohio St. 6'2" 288#. Not quite as talented as Donald or Easley, but proably the best disruptive penetrating 3-tech prospect for 2015.
- DE Shilique Caloun, Michigan St. (red shirt junior). 6'4" 257#. Very explosive and athletic end who makes a lot of splash plays. Projected as a likely top-20 prospect at the moment.
- OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa. 6'5" 315#. Will be in the mix for the top rated tackle in 2015.
- DT Carl Davis, Iowa. 6'5" 315#. Big body in the middle.
- CB Doran Grant, Ohio St. 5'11" 193#.
- CB Trae Waynes, Michigan St. 6'1" 185#.
- DE/OLB Noah Spence, Ohio St. 6'3" 252#. Edge rusher.
- RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin. 6'1" 207#.

Among others.

Shaq Thompson if he declares. Would be a fantastic safety opposite McCourty. My favorite college player bar none. Probably a little biased since I've known him from when he was a kid and my daughter went to the same elementary and jr high school. Even came to a pool party at my home once.

Shaq Thompson if he declares. Would be a fantastic safety opposite McCourty. My favorite college player bar none. Probably a little biased since I've known him from when he was a kid and my daughter went to the same elementary and jr high school. Even came to a pool party at my home once.

I personally use this time of the year to just identify and follow prospects of interest, and try not to focus too much on any single guy this early. But Thompson is certainly one of about half a dozen defensive players who really intrigue me right now, along with DEs Shawn Oakman and Arik Armstead, DE/OLB Dante Fowler, LB Kyler Fackrell and FS Cody Prewitt. He's certainly on my short list of potential guys for next Spring.

Thompson has amazing change of direction skills for a guy his size (roughly 6'1" 228#). UWashington recently had a "Combine" for their players, and Thompson reportedly posted a 3.99 SS and 6.57 3C:

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2014/5/20/5736266/2014-husky-combine-results

Those numbers are better than what Ryan Shazier posted, and in the elite DB range (Darrelle Revis had a 6.56 3C and 4.08 SS, for comparison).

Last edited:
Shaq Thompson if he declares. Would be a fantastic safety opposite McCourty. My favorite college player bar none.

Another undersized LB with terrific speed to keep an eye on is Oklahoma junior Eric Striker (6' 220#). Very disruptive player, a bit in the Ryan Shazier mold.

I was hoping The Washington staff was going to move him back over to full time safety this upcoming season but I'm sure they have other ideas. He was ranked by many sources as the number 1 or 2 safety in the nation and I think 4th overall coming out of high school. He is 6"1 or 6"2 and 220. I just don't see him as a full time NFL LB due to size and I'm not sure he has the frame to get up to 240-250 range. I definitely envision a hybrid role filling in while in a nickel in that role on passing downs and hopefully making a true conversion back to safety. Doubt this kid comes out of Washington without his degree. Hopefully he graduates in 3.

For all the Jadeveon Clowney accolades, I expect Shawn Oakman to have a huge year:

2014 Big 12 spr - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

I doubt the Pats will get within 20 picks of him, whenever he does come out.

It would be nice to be able to dream of having a top 10 pick but not at the price of being ****ty. Hopefully the Pats knocked it out of the park with Easley and it will be just like having a top 10 pick. Very good possibility imo.

It would be nice to be able to dream of having a top 10 pick but not at the price of being ****ty. Hopefully the Pats knocked it out of the park with Easley and it will be just like having a top 10 pick. Very good possibility imo.

Usually only about half the guys who are projected to be 1st round picks in May end up going in the 1st round the following year. There are always guys who come out of nowhere (JJ Watt, Ziggy Ansah, Nick Fairley, Kyle Long), and guys who slip for various reasons (injury, off-field, size, etc.). The Pats have done a great job in recent years adding top 10 caliber talents without having a top 10 pick. Rob Gronkowski (42), Nate Solder (17), Chandler Jones (21), Jamie Collins (52) and Dominique Easley (29) are all top 10-15 caliber talents, IMO. Picking at the bottom of the round the Pats will miss out on a lot of guys of interest, but I'm pretty confident that they will find someone who slips through the cracks. I think the really good teams have a different way of approaching the draft than the rest of the league (not to mention the mediots). What's fun for me is finding those values. There will always be OPOY and DPOY-caliber guys who slip into the 2nd and 3rd round (such as Gronk, Jimmy Graham, Navorro Bowman, Lavonte David, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson, among others in recent years, not to mention Richard Sherman in the 5th). I had both Collins and Easley pegged the last 2 years, and Sherman and David in the 2 prior years. And that's not counting all the guys who Manx spots first, and then I jump on the bandwagon once he's pointed them out.

I'm guessing that at least one of Shawn Oakman (6'8" 280#), Arik Armstead (6'7" 290#), Dante Fowler (6'3" 270#), Kyler Fackrell (6'5" 245#), Eric Striker (6' 220#), Shaq Thompson (6'1" 220-230#) and Cody Prewitt (6'2" 220#) will slip to within reach. That's my early 7 defensive watch list, but there are tons of other guys of interest, and it will doubtless change between now and next Spring. My top offensive priority at this point is probably a long term successor to Mankins at LG such as Spencer Drango, La'el Collins or Josue Matias, among many others. The TE class looks weak at this point.

Mel Kiper has his initial top 5 junior and senior positional rankings out (ESPN Insider only content). Of interest:

- LB: The juniors are the more interesting group. Kiper has Kyler Fackrell rated as his top junior LB prospect, followed by Shaq Thompson. Eric Striker is in a tie for the #5 spot.
- S: Kiper has Mississippi's Cody Prewitt (6'2" 220#, 6 INTs in 2013) as his #4 senior safety prospect; he has Nebraska's Corey Cooper (6'1" 215#) ranked as the #3 senior prospect. Syracuse S Durrell Eskridge (6'3 210#) is Kiper's #4 junior prospect, and also an intriguing guy to keep an eye on.

Just want to declare off the bat that my very early favourite prospects for next year are Brandon Scherff and Stefon Diggs but I've hardly looked at anyone yet. But these two are very interesting:

1. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford (6-1, 215)

Freakish athlete for his size (forums have him in the rumoured 40" vert, 11' broad range) and his speed on video is excellent. Also is a top notch KR.

2. Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (6-1, 201)

RS Soph so no guarantee to come out but had 900 yds receiving in his Freshman year and the rumour is (pinch of salt in hand) that he jumped a 44" vert and ran 4.37.

Two well worth keeping an eye out for.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back