PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Mock Draft Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done that too, but what I found worked best is if you hit reply and it shows you hundreds of posts of history and then do a Ctrl+F

This is the time of the draft we need to check the lists as much as we can so we don't make duplicate selections. WhiZa and SirApropos have good ideas to follow so whatever works for you lets do that. Have a nice weekend and we will be back at it Monday so get your draft boards updated.

Last edited:
I would like to ask someome to summarize our draft after the actual draft and see how we did. I'm sure out of all the great minds we have on this forum we can find someone to do that for us. If you know of someone please let me know and I will certainly ask if they can do that for us.

I would like to ask someome to summarize our draft after the actual draft and see how we did. I'm sure out of all the great minds we have on this forum we can find someone to do that for us. If you know of someone please let me know and I will certainly ask if they can do that for us.

Speaking of summaries, has anyone went back to our draft say three years ago and see how everyone did? It would be interesting to know if one of us was really good at picking probowlers in the later rounds. Might look good on a resume to NFL scouts :)

Huntingdon College Cody Pearcy Pro Day 2012. @ Alabama State Universty - YouTube

had to look this kid up after seeing the latest selection. holy smokes!

Kid needs to do some work catching the ball, but you cannot overlook the physical skills. He is only 5'10" 162 lbs but his numbers would have been some of the all time best at the combine. 4.31 40 #3 all time, SS #6 VJ 44" top 6, Broad Jump #11. Give him a year under proper professional coaching and weight room training and you could have an absolute steal.

Speaking of summaries, has anyone went back to our draft say three years ago and see how everyone did? It would be interesting to know if one of us was really good at picking probowlers in the later rounds. Might look good on a resume to NFL scouts :)

My one great pick from memory was the Gronk to Baltimore but that was in the 1st round two years ago.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thanks to the mods for their help. I've been ill the past week with cellulitis (don't catch it folks- it REALLY hurts!!) and in hospital since Sunday. Anyway, I'm back now.

Re judging our picks, I suggest doing so in a couple of years' time. Over the years, I've had a couple of good ones - one was Matt Ryan for Miami with the #1 pick and the other was Jon Beason, but I can't remember who it was for. Other than that? :bricks:

I just wanted to say thanks to the mods for their help. I've been ill the past week with cellulitis (don't catch it folks- it REALLY hurts!!) and in hospital since Sunday. Anyway, I'm back now.

Re judging our picks, I suggest doing so in a couple of years' time. Over the years, I've had a couple of good ones - one was Matt Ryan for Miami with the #1 pick and the other was Jon Beason, but I can't remember who it was for. Other than that? :bricks:

glad to have you back! I hope you're ok with my selections for Motown?

Now that'd be cool to look back on, I remember doing the 2010 and 2011 drafts, I forget my 2010 draft though.

I remember picking Tyron Smith at #13 and Andy Dalton at #43 for the Vikings, so that was win, but then reached for Mark Herzlich in 4th.

Last edited:
We will be voting on the Green Bay selections for the rest of the draft unless s3antana5757 send me or bakes781 a PM by tonight with enough selections to cover the 3 picks he has left. Other than that we are not waiting for a deadline for that team. Eagle Eye we would like to hear from you to see if you are still participating if not same rules apply to Houston and New Orleans as well.

glad to have you back! I hope you're ok with my selections for Motown?

Yes! The Lions are a team going places, but they don't have depth in a lot of positions. I think you could make a case for late picks on any position. They're thinner at LB than people realise, so another ILB makes a lot of sense. DE also makes sense, as Van den Bosch is getting old and, again, depth isn't brilliant.

I took a look back at 2009 and it was pretty weak overall. Only 4 probowlers outside the 1st round.

Johnny Knox - Chicago Bears - round 5 -Irish Hooligan
Mike Wallace - Seahawks - round 4 - CanadianPat'sFan
LeSean McCoy - Pittsburgh - round 2 - jmt57
Jairus Byrd - Atlanta - round 2 - Broadwayjoe

2009 was the oldest draft I could find. I'm almost certain we'd done this before then though

We will be voting on the Green Bay selections for the rest of the draft unless s3antana5757 send me or bakes781 a PM by tonight with enough selections to cover the 3 picks he has left. Other than that we are not waiting for a deadline for that team. Eagle Eye we would like to hear from you to see if you are still participating if not same rules apply to Houston and New Orleans as well.

Sorry Joe and everybody else. I've been stuck for a couple of days without internet access. I think you are better to go on without me as I cannot guarantee that I'll have access over the next 7 days.

Sorry Joe and everybody else. I've been stuck for a couple of days without internet access. I think you are better to go on without me as I cannot guarantee that I'll have access over the next 7 days.

Ok I understand. With the draft winding down now over the next few days I look forward to each GM posting a summary of their teams draft. I will be working on mine this weekend for Baltimore, St. Louis and San Diego. I enjoyed it I always look forward to working with you GM's that enjoy doing the draft and the different startegies that you use.

I want to thank everyone that put this together and all that participated ... it was alot of fun ... can't wait for the real deal in two weeks

Sorry about not finishing this up last night. Internet connection went down.

Mr Irrelevant pick being sent in now.

Baltimore Ravens

We feel like we selected a group of players that will give us depth and a few starters this year and in the future.

Round 1 Selection #29 Mike Perry OLB USC 6’3 250

An extremely active edge rusher that will be converted to an outside linebacker in the Ravens defense he plays smart and disciplined and led the Pac-12 in sacks.

Round 2 Selection #60 Bobby Massie OT Ole Miss 6’6 325

Prototypical size and long arms and big hands to be a starting right tackle in the NFL. Adds depth to the Ravens offensive line and will eventually command plenty of playing time.

Round 3 Selection #91 James Brown OG Troy 6’4 307

He can play guard or tackle and has long arms quick feet and smooth movement skills to cover a large area. Will play guard for the Ravens and another addition for the offensive line.

Round 4 Selection #130 Janzen Jackson FS McNeese State 6’0 190

Can play both safety and cornerback he has the vision, range and hitting ability and ball skills teams want at free safety. Can learn from one of the best in Ed Reed and eventually take his place in the Ravens secondary.

Round 5 Selection #164 Jonathan Massaqoui LB Troy 6’2 250

A productive and relentless pass rusher has an excellent combination of explosiveness and sudden movement ability flashing the potential to be a big time pass rusher. His pass rush upside makes him extremely intriguing.

Round 5 Selection #169 Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M 6’4 217

Big frame and hands gives him the look of a potential star outside receiver at the next level. Possess strong hands agility and balance to adjust to any pass thrown in his area. Also has the quick feet to be a good route runner.

Round 6 Selection #198 Edwin Baker RB Michigan State 5’9 210

Has a smaller compact build with adequate thickness throughout his frame. Physical at the point of attack and keeps his feet moving. With the retirement of Ricky Williams will add depth to the backfield to give Ray Rice an occasional breather.

Round 7 Selection #236 Garth Gerhart C Arizona State 6’1 305

He gives relentless effort and played well for the Sun Devils this season and improved his stock significantly. He isn’t afraid to get physical and fights through the whistle. He is the brother of Toby Gerhart RB for the Minnesota Vikings

Last edited:
St. Louis Rams

I felt that we added quality depth and addressed areas of need at critical positions for the upcoming season. The players we selected should be able to contribute immediately in some areas of need.

Round 1 Selection #6 Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State 6’1 215

The top rated receiver in this draft and a major area of need for the Rams. Blackmon is the 2 time Biletnikoff Award Winner and the big 12 Offensive Player of the year. His strength and hands should make him a solid value for this team. He has the physical ability to get off of press coverage and tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and bring in passes with ease downfield.

Round 2 Selection #33 Mike Adams OT Ohio State 6’7 323

One of top left tackles, tall long and athletic pass protector with good knee bend and a wide base addressing another need position to protect our franchise quarterback.

Round 2 Selection #39 Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State 6’3 310

Enjoyed a breakout season earning All-American honors from the Associated Press just to name a few associations that he was honored by. He was the first Spartan defensive lineman to earn first team honors from the AP since the late Bubba Smith.

Round 3 Selection #65 Ronnell Lewis OLB Oklahoma 6’2 253

A very good athelete who plays fast and accelerates quickly upfield Lewis could be a good outside linebacker in the NFL. Nicknamed the Hammer by his teammates for the way he hits. But in a little more than 2 seasons he totaled 118 tackles 67 solo 20.5 for loss, 10 sacks and two interceptions. He looked good at the combine with a 40 time of 4.68 seconds and 36 reps with 225 on the bench press.

Round 4 Selection #96 Isaiah Pead RB Cincinnati 5’10 200

Has excellent straight line speed to be a breakaway threat at the next level. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Pead was named the MVP of the Senior Bowl and in four years with the Bearcats he rushed for 3,288 yards on 545 carries and 27 touchdowns. Also showed off his punt return ability at the Senior Bowl with returns of 60 and 38 yards. Will give Stephen Jackson a break and present a change of pace back for the defense.

Round 6 Selection #171 T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International 5’10 185

Has elite speed and cutting ability with good hands and toughness will make a good slot receiver especially on the carpet at Edward Jones Stadium and will give the Rams another big play threat from this draft.

Round 7 Selection #209 Mike Harris CB Florida State 5’10 185

Excels covering in the slot; has the ability to handle bigger receivers in the slot looks more comfortable in this position but also has the ability to play on the outside. Can play in both man and zone schemes and looks like he can help an NFL team from day one.

Round 7 Selection #252 Danny Trevathan OLB Kentucky 6’0 237

This tackling machine can be the WILL linebacker for the Rams and he finished sixth in the nation in total tackles. In his senior season he had four interceptions, five forced fumbles, and five passes broken up. He recorded 143 tackles with 11.5 tackles for loss. Became the first linebacker in Kentucky history to earn first team All-American honors.

San Diego Chargers

I feel that the Chargers addressed quite a few of their needs and will add quality depth to the team.

Round 1 Selection #18 Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama 6’2 186
One of the top corners in the draft with the size and length to blanket receivers and the aggressiveness to give good run support. Will win jump balls at the sideline. There are plenty of game tapes that show Kirkpatrick has all the athletic ability, instincts and tenacity to be a great cornerback. Scouts need to watch the tapes because statistics don't tell Kirkpatrick's story. In three seasons he had only three interceptions -- all in 2010 -- but his strength is in how he plays the man more than how he plays the ball. He denies receivers. He denies them a clean release. He denies them to get separation. And he denies them an opportunity to get the ball. He is physical to the extreme, both in coverage and coming up on run support, where he is perhaps too much of a hitter and not enough of a wrap-up tackler.

Round 2 Selection #49 Zebrie Sanders OT Ohio State 6’6 308

Sanders proved to be highly versatile and invaluable at Florida State starting most of his first three seasons at right tackle before starting eight games at left tackle in 2011. Has good technique and footwork balanced and agile pass protector. He’s coachable and athletically gifted with the ideal frame physique weight distribution knee bend and hand strength to be molded into a special blocker. With the loss of Marcus McNeil the team needs help in this area.

Round 3 Selection #80 Chandler Jones OLB Syracuse 6’5 266

Has a good burst off the line and times the snap well and vision to locate the ball and recognize cut blocks. Another addition to an area of need to help solidify and give depth to the defense.

Round 4 Selection #110 Chris Childs WR Arkansas 6’3 215

Childs probably has only now recovered from a 2010 right knee injury, but he pushed himself through the 2011 season anyway, catching 21 passes for 240 yards. By the time of the combine he was well enough to run the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds and manage a 36??-inch vertical jump. But he considered his March 7 pro day a coming out when he ran 40 yards in 4.41 seconds and had a vertical jump of 41?? inches. "It was just mainly showing everybody that I was healthy again, showing I was 100 percent again," Childs said after the on-campus workout. The injury was to his right patella and required surgery in 2010, otherwise he probably would have been in the 2011 draft. Instead, he struggled through the 2011 season, missing only a little action. Childs is an extraordinary target because of his unusual combination of size, speed, jumping ability, long arms (34?-inch) and, finally, huge hands, The Chargers like big receivers and here’s a young man I watched for most of his college career and was the favorite target of Ryan Mallett.

Round 5 Selection #149 Ronnie Hillman RB San Diego State 5’10 198

Defying his frame Hillman started 13 games and had 311 carries on the season. With improved receiving and pass blocking Hillman could see the field early in his career. Elusive pogo stick quick back with excellent initial burst and very good long speed. Gets to top speed quickly. Turns the corner and accelerates smoothly with vision to cut or stop and start. Breakaway threat has improved as a receiver. With extra work can help the team in the Darren Sproles type role.

Round 6 Selection #183 Trevor Guyton DE/DT California 6’3 284

Hustle defender with a good bull rush inside that can close and get to the quarterback. Has good attitude and work ethic. Guyton may be best as a five-technique 3-4 defensive end in the NFL. In a 4-3 defense, he could do well to be a power, run-stuffing left defensive end. The senior made 46 tackles with seven sacks and, 15 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles this year. He had decent production as a junior with 29 tackles, five sacks and 11 tackles for a loss.

Round 7 Selection #226 Jaymes Brooks OG Virginia Tech 6’2 310

He brings short area quickness and power to the running game and savy and lateral agility in pass protection. Plays with a wide strong base to handle bull rishers. Alert to recognize unexpected stunts and blitzes switching off and maintaing good levels through his kick slide.

Round 7 Selection #250 Sean Richardson SS Vanderbilt 6’3 216
Richardson is a three-year starter in Commodore secondary … Dependable leader who started every game at safety … Anchors Vanderbilt's secondary with senior defensive back Casey Hayward … Second on the team with 58 total tackles … 36 stops were solo … Had 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks … Sacks came against Georgia and Florida … Had first interception of his career in victory over Ole Miss … Tied career high with 10 tackles, including nine of the solo variety, against Florida … Had six stops against Wake Forest, Tennessee and Georgia.

Last edited:
I took a look back at 2009 and it was pretty weak overall. Only 4 probowlers outside the 1st round.

Johnny Knox - Chicago Bears - round 5 -Irish Hooligan
Mike Wallace - Seahawks - round 4 - CanadianPat'sFan
LeSean McCoy - Pittsburgh - round 2 - jmt57
Jairus Byrd - Atlanta - round 2 - Broadwayjoe

2009 was the oldest draft I could find. I'm almost certain we'd done this before then though

I know that in 2008, I had Chris Johnson to the Titans in the 2nd round.. The Titans ended up taking him in the 1st.. I also had Derrick Harvey for the Titans in the 1st round that year..

Do you have the link to the 2009 draft? I only found the 1st 3 rounds..

Other notables:
I had Richard Sherman in the 5th round last year.. And he's starting for the Seahawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes