PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 NFL Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soswalter

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted a season preview of the AFC East a few weeks ago. (Pats 13-3).

Just wanted to let you know that an updated 2007 Mock Draft (two rounds) is up on my site.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2007.php

The reason I have New England picking 30th, and not 31st or 32nd, is that I'm extremely concerned about the kicking situation. If Adam Vinatieri were still a Patriot, I'd have them winning the Super Bowl.

H.B. Blades is an inside linebacker (moved at the beginning of last year). He does not fit as a 3-4 OLB, and although he may fit inside in a 3-4 (built guy, 240+), it certainly isn't a guarantee.

Drew,

Nice catch. Careless mistake on my part. Do you agree that the Pats take a linebacker? If not, then what?

Good job.
Pats definetly have a huge need for LB,but as always they'll take best available value.
They'll target a few players and move up or down accordingly.
The only sure thing about a Pats draft is a TE will be drafted somewhere:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The only question I have does the designated Probation officer for the Bengals, know about their extended season?? I do not see the Bengals picking at 31...

Overall, good job, though I have to critique a few Michigan picks. I am curious about the Prescott Burgess pick; Brian Smith was a better pick. Steve Breaston is another Dante Hall; I expect the Chiefs would take Steve Smith or Courtney Taylor first.

LaMarr Woodley would be an excellent OLB in the 3-4; he actually has played there a little at Michigan. Watch for teams like the Chargers and the Pats snatching him up reasonably early.

Great effort on the mock.

Sidney Rice and Calvin Johnson, two very talented WRs. I'd love to see the Pats secure one of them.

It's hard to imagine BB taking someone at OLB in the first round that does not have a ton of experience playing something similar to the Patriots scheme. Last draft he had a chance to gobble up Manny Lawson, an athletic freak (at 6'5", around 250-260 and ran a 4.5 or less) in the first round.
I think part of the reason he didn't was that Manny never played OLB so BB couldn't project Manny to the OLB position. I'm not sure BB would pull the trigger on the Oklahoma kid for much the same reasons.
BB drafts for value in the first round. Projection selections , especially those involving a position change, are not how he operates.

With the possibility of Daniel Graham exiting after this season, I would not be surprised if Clark Harris would up being the pick in the first round.
However if the draft leand heavily toward offense in the first round, then the best value pick could be a defensive player. 3 safties have first round grades going into this season. (Merriweather, Griffith and Laundry.) With Wilson moving to CB and the Patriots propensity for playing the split safety defense, I'd be happy with any one of them.
In the second round CB Bennett of South Carolina looks to have the quick twitch that BB craves in a CB.

how did marshawn lynch fall out of the first two rounds?

I'll cry if Detroit takes a QB in round 1. Apparently Martz has been very impressed with Orlovsky and I seriously hopes he develops into a solid starter someday. He's definetly a project, but he's got the arm and mind to succeed in the NFL.

I'm not sure what to think of PaulPo to Houston. I tihnk Safety(Landry) is a better pick here. However, I commend you for not having Houston taking OLine(in the first round anyway...). I think Winston and Spencer could develop into find Tackles in the next two years.

patsfan55 said:
how did marshawn lynch fall out of the first two rounds?

i was wondering the same thing...

Love it!

I'm not sure BB will "reach" for any player with his first round pick... ever. He always takes the BPA, even when he has more urgent needs elsewhere. As evidence, he drafted Ben Watson in 2004 with needs all over the field (especially RB and OG), because he's patient in terms of team building. Another example, he drafted Lawrence Moroney even with Corey Dillon on the roster, and a collection of good looking LBs still available.

Picking at #30, I two players that I think BB would take ahead of the Best LB Available are Samardzija and Zbikowski, who you have going to GB at 33 and 34. Both have two years of Charlie Weis training under their belt, and that will make a difference for the Pats. TZ, in particular, is a versatile bruising safety who could bring the leadership factor to the secondary that could help anticipate the eventual loss of Rodney Harrison and maybe compete in the kicking game, too.

I'm waiting to see how the Deon Branch situation resolves itself. At this point, I expect the Pats may get a late 1st/early 2nd in trade compensation for him. If that happens, it is not unrealistic for the Pats to have interest in trading up for a player like Posluzsny or Moses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye