PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1986 MNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacPete1

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Came across this highlight video and brought back memories. Grogan in relief and a win or go home scenario. This was the last game at the Orange Bowl and my buddies and I were out watching this game and getting absolutely hammered.

Man, I remember that game! Great find!

Came across this highlight video and brought back memories. Grogan in relief and a win or go home scenario. This was the last game at the Orange Bowl and my buddies and I were out watching this game and getting absolutely hammered.

Great find, forgot all about Greg Baty.

I think it was!

Yes, it was. The editing cut that part out, but when Morgan caught that TD, the MNF broadcast cut to a stunned Bengals viewing party. After the Marino pick to end it, the broadcast cut again to a dejected group of Bengals with Boomer front and center.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for posting this! I loved that game! Watched it in the basement with my dad when I was 13. My dad HATED Tony Eason, haha.

This is weird but I remember posting something about this game from Hong Kong ~2008. I should try to find it.

I wish Grogan was Brady's back up.

Bless you sir! For years I've wanted to revisit this, my all-time favorite non-BBTB game.

I remember this one. Great replay while work is slow. Some nostalgia points:

Where did all the barefoot kickers go?

Marino and that quick release...Ugh!
There are not many WR duos that were better than Clayton and Duper...Ugh!

Stanley Morgan > Irving Fryar
The AFC championship game the previous season when we beat the Phins was my favorite Pats game from the 80s.

Last edited:
Yes, it was. The editing cut that part out, but when Morgan caught that TD, the MNF broadcast cut to a stunned Bengals viewing party. After the Marino pick to end it, the broadcast cut again to a dejected group of Bengals with Boomer front and center.

Regards,
Chris
I remember that like it was yesterday! Man I hated Boomer that night.

I remember this one. Great replay while work is slow. Some nostalgia points:

Where did all the barefoot kickers go?

Marino and that quick release...Ugh!
There are not many WR duos that were better than Clayton and Duper...Ugh!

Stanley Morgan > Irving Fryar
The AFC championship game the following year when we beat the Phins was my favorite Pats game from the 80s.
That was the previous year.

He was pure Bleephole that night.

I wonder if he regrets that.

Thanks for posting this! I loved that game! Watched it in the basement with my dad when I was 13. My dad HATED Tony Eason, haha.

This is weird but I remember posting something about this game from Hong Kong ~2008. I should try to find it.

I wish Grogan was Brady's back up.

1986 cannot go by -- and to your Dad, Eason had like almost 60 attempts -- without honorable mention of the Rams game. Best game of the 1986 season...

The lineman look small by today's standards.

1986 cannot go by -- and to your Dad, Eason had like almost 60 attempts -- without honorable mention of the Rams game. Best game of the 1986 season...

That Rams game was awesome. And the next week there was some kind of crazy finish too. What a season! Unfortunately it ended in Denver...

That Rams game was awesome. And the next week there was some kind of crazy finish too. What a season! Unfortunately it ended in Denver...

That 86 Patriots team was good. If memory serves me they played with season beginning to season end with much more confidence than the 85 team despite 85's spectacular end season run (the steel wall assault machine of the 85 Bears was looming large for every team). No offense to Ray Berry, they needed BB 2015 as the 86 coach. Ray wanted to share a soda at the malt shop with a player when that Player wasn't getting it done. That Patriots team needed a coach that would drill into them to take care of their responsibility and do not cause their own misfortune.

Side note: if I recall that Denver playoff, the Patriots played well. The game was going the Patriots way. Then the original horseface chucked up a prayer bomb in the middle of the fourth quarter that somehow ended in a twisting completion (in the Patriots red zone). Denver scored, took the lead, Patriots could never get that score back. (if! memory serves me)

A few weeks prior, Cincinnati came into Foxboro and punked them 31-7. Esiason and James Brooks tore through a pretty good D with ease. I remember this because it was the first regular season game I ever attended. Nice warm day for December...something like high 40s.

I enjoyed how the Pats controlled the Bengals destiny in the finale, particularly after that beatdown.

Regards,
Chris

Two thoughts:

1. Stanley Morgan was incredible--great catch. Very underrated the by league in terms of history.

2. Marino is the last QB (other than Brady) I'd ever want my team to face. I'd rather face Montana, Manning, Rodgers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots