Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
15 Offseason Needs

1. Starting K (Vinatieri)
Gotta be Adam

2. Starting #2 WR (Givens, free agency or draft)
With the turmoil in Buffalo, the Bills may be prepared to trade Eric Moulds (32 yrs old). Under contact through 2007. How good would he look opposite Deon Branch? Far more likely: re-sign Givens. The draft doesn't have a #2 receiver who'll be ready as a rookie.

3. #3 WR (Brown or draft)
This year's WR crop doesn't look so good in the 1st round. But a 3rd rounder should be enough to claim someone like Jeff Samardzija who looked like a revelation in Charlie Weis's offense.

4. Starting RG (Neal or draft)
Bring Neal back!

5. Young depth at ILB (free agency or draft)
This year is going to be a historic for LB talent in the first two rounds. If we can land Greenway at #21, it would be a coup-- big, athletic, team oriented, player with great smarts. And he played for former Belichick assistant Kirk Ferentz.

6. Insurance at SS (free agency or draft)
The only solution in the draft who could step in for Rodney, if he's unable to comeback from his knee injury, is Bing from USC. We'd have a shot at him at #21, but I'm not sure he's the player I want as the keystone of our secondary for the next 5 years. I get mixed vibes from Bing as a person.

7. Depth at CB (Gay or draft)
I think the world of Randall Gay, ever since his rookie training camp, when he looked so natural in coverage, and later during his rookie campaign when he made a sweet open field tackle on Marcus Pollard to force a 3-and-out. Gay Love.

8. ST Coverage (Chatham, free agency or draft)
Chatham needs to share some blame for the poor kickoff coverage we had in 2005. I think he a favorite to return, unless BB decides to head in a different direction.

9. #4 WR (Davis or draft)
Davis impressed me over the course of the year. I'd be happy to have him back for a reasonable contact.

10. Starting KR (Dwight or draft)
I found having Dwight returning kicks was very reassuring. Plus, he provides good depth at WR. I'd rather keep Tim than Bethel.

11. Young depth at SS (G. Scott)
Can Scott stay healthy? I feel for the kid, who didn't sign a multi-year contract, didn't get that nice signing bonus, and has now ended two seasons on IR. He's this close to being out of the NFL, and just as close to being the starter.

12. Veteran depth at CB (C. Scott or free agency)
I expect to have Chad Scott back next year. BB rarely has so many positive things to say for a guy who never actually did anything much for the team.

13. Depth at TE (Fauria, Weaver or draft)
Unless Christian plays for the minimum, I think his career is done. This is a big year for TEs in the draft. Even though we have Graham and Watson on the roster, the idea of spending a 3rd rounder on Anthony Fasano is tantalizing. Huge value.

14. Depth at HB (Evans or draft)
I loved what I saw from Evans. I have no hesitation bringing him back. If Lendale White falls to us at #21, that could be a transformational pick.

15. Depth at QB (Flutie or draft)
If our staff can find Brady in the 6th and Cassel in the 7th... hell, let's try for another one.

Mock Draft
1st - LB Mike Greenway/ HB Lendale White/ LB Thomas Howard
2nd - CB Ashton Youboti/ LB Bobby Carpenter/ S Ko Simpson
3rd - TE Anthony Fasano/ CB Will Blackmon
3rd - WR Jeff Smardzija

resign vinatieri, givens.

Jeff Samarja(sp) is not coming out of the draft. Not trying to be disrespectful but it's chad greenway not mike. :)

restructure dillon, mcginest, let poole walk, sign rgay, restructure starks, (we all know how much depth we need)

long term extension: seymour (a must) branch, samuel.

just my 2 cents

Warren94 said:
resign vinatieri, givens. restructure dillon, mcginest, let poole walk, sign rgay, restructure starks, (we all know how much depth we need)

long term extension: seymour (a must) branch, samuel.

just my 2 cents

Wow. Ty Warren94, he of the measely 24 posts, knocks it out of the park. Couldn't agree more. A truly excellent 2 cents. Post more.

Thanks, Rook -- great summary. A few stray thoughts in bold...

rookBoston said:
15 Offseason Needs

This year's WR crop doesn't look so good in the 1st round. But a 3rd rounder should be enough to claim someone like Jeff Samardzija who looked like a revelation in Charlie Weis's offense.

If we're looking for the next Troy Brown, perhaps David Anderson of Colorado State? Small but reliable.

The only solution in the draft who could step in for Rodney, if he's unable to comeback from his knee injury, is Bing from USC. We'd have a shot at him at #21, but I'm not sure he's the player I want as the keystone of our secondary for the next 5 years. I get mixed vibes from Bing as a person.

Could it be that this year's tremendous LB class will even supply the SS answers? Say a Freddie Keiaho of SD State?

11. Young depth at SS (G. Scott)
Can Scott stay healthy? I feel for the kid, who didn't sign a multi-year contract, didn't get that nice signing bonus, and has now ended two seasons on IR. He's this close to being out of the NFL, and just as close to being the starter.

I Like Scott a lot, hoping he follows the S. Neal path (IR-->IR-->starter)

15. Depth at QB (Flutie or draft)
If our staff can find Brady in the 6th and Cassel in the 7th... hell, let's try for another one.

Astonishing to contemplate...a first-rounder at OG, and no QBs picked higher than the 6th. What a roster.

re:

Nice post Rook.

I think for defense the Pats need to pick up a tough, run-stuffing inside linebacker, and one strong addition to the secondary.

As for offense, the team seems pretty solid; I think we just need to re-sign the key players at good prices. The only change I would make on offense is to use more play-action plays.

Warren94 said:
Not trying to be disrespectful but it's chad greenway not mike. :)

HA! You're totally right.

Here's the thing: everytime I mean Chad Greenway, my mind thinks Mike Greenwell. I usually get the last name right, anyway...

Yeah, very good post.

rookBoston said:
15 Offseason Needs

Gotta be Adam

I've cut all too many Pats in mock rosters who went on to contribute substantially after Bill overruled me. No false pride here then ... so let me be the very first to express this contrarian view:

today's Adam isn't worth 3 million (the approx franchise price).

What have you done for me LATELY?

1 Resign Adam
2 Redo Seymour
3 Get CB depth
4 Get Wr Depth
5 Get RB depth
6 Sign Jay Fiedler or Damon Huard as insurance that Cassel is not ready to be the number 2

rookBoston said:
15 Offseason Needs

I would love it if we drafted that guy this year or next year.

flutie2phelan said:
I've cut all too many Pats in mock rosters who went on to contribute substantially after Bill overruled me. No false pride here then ... so let me be the very first to express this contrarian view:

I mentioned this earlier. I don't think Adam has fallen off that much, but I just don't think we need him as much with the state the team is in now. I feel this team can win on their own without him making a clutch kick for us. If signing Vinatieri and Givens means Seymour walks, I say lets start looking for a new Kicker and WR.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:

You know your seeing blue when ALK agrees with you. :D

True, franchised at 3m seems a bit much, which suggests he needs a new agent so we sign him early or he gets franchised to hold him until his agent is eligible to get things done in July. Chicago grabbed up Robbie Gould, so who do you see available at a lower price, with anything near AV's reliability. I think Vanderjerk is locked up..... :eek:

Box_O_Rocks said:
You know your seeing blue when ALK agrees with you. :D

True, franchised at 3m seems a bit much, which suggests he needs a new agent so we sign him early or he gets franchised to hold him until his agent is eligible to get things done in July. Chicago grabbed up Robbie Gould, so who do you see available at a lower price, with anything near AV's reliability. I think Vanderjerk is locked up..... :eek:

The kicker I had in mind was Ryan Longwell. He's played in Green Bay his entire career so he's familiar with kicking in bad weather. He's definately not going to be asking 3 million a year either.

huskeralk said:
I mentioned this earlier. I don't think Adam has fallen off that much, but I just don't think we need him as much with the state the team is in now. I feel this team can win on their own without him making a clutch kick for us. If I had my choice between signing Vinatieri and Givens means Seymour walks, I say lets start looking for a new Kicker and WR.

Phew! That was a close call.

I am so happy to yield to husker ... all the credit and contumely ... for being the first to sound Adam's departure. Sorry i either missed that, or forgot it. You win!

Glad you could proffer Longwell - whose name, at least, instills confidence in the kicking game. I simply know that the woods are full of AVERAGE kickers. Average, at worst, would be good enough. (Anybody get that?)

Belioli would find one better than average. Like they did Josh.

thechris said:
I would love it if we drafted that guy this year or next year.
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Samardzija[/size][/font][/size][/font] didn't declare for the draft. He's going to be a definite 1st round pick in 2007.

flutie2phelan said:
Phew! That was a close call.

I am so happy to yield to husker ... all the credit and contumely ... for being the first to sound Adam's departure. Sorry i either missed that, or forgot it. You win!

Glad you could proffer Longwell - whose name, at least, instills confidence in the kicking game. I simply know that the woods are full of AVERAGE kickers. Average, at worst, would be good enough. (Anybody get that?)

Belioli would find one better than average. Like they did Josh.

I wasn't really trying to say I was the first to think of it, just that I was thinking the same thing. Only sooner. ;) I don't think I would want to go with just an average kicker if Vinatieri did walk. Longwell's career percentage is on par with Vinatieri and he has only been getting 1 million per season.

Last edited:
Guys, think long and hard about the possible 1-1.5 MM saved by not resigning AV. Think about what will be said when a clutch kick is missed at the end of an important game or playoff game or even a Superbowl.
The guy is money........

Please........AV resigning is imperative, along with Seymour.

The only reason a deal was not done with AV this year was because his agent was suspened in August.

fgssand said:
The only reason a deal was not done with AV this year was because his agent was suspened in August.

I've got to totally disagree with this one.

They were trying to do a long term deal with Adam well before August. After the Panthers Super Bowl win, he had 1 year left on his deal. They started extension taks then as the Patriots typically do with all of their "core players." The talks just went nowhere for the next year and a half before his agent was suspended.

fgssand said:
Guys, think long and hard about the possible 1-1.5 MM saved by not resigning AV. Think about what will be said when a clutch kick is missed at the end of an important game or playoff game or even a Superbowl.
The guy is money........

Please........AV resigning is imperative, along with Seymour.

If there is a 1-1.5 million difference between Adam and Longwell, then I absolutely bring Longwell in. Like I said already if I have to choose between Vinatieri and Givens or Seymour, I say lets start looking for a new Kicker and WR. Seymour is going to be asking for big money and he deserves it. We're going to have a tougher time getting by without him than we will without Vinatieri. If we can sign both for whatever money they're asking and keep the rest of the team intact then I say go for it.

Great discussion-building post. My contributions:
rookBoston said:
15 Offseason Needs

Gotta be Adam
No it doesn't, but at the end of the day I think it will. I don't care how good your kicker is, he's only worth x amount of salary cap dollars. Adam makes great endorsement money and is a local hero, so I can't imagine he'd leave for a small increase in salary elsewhere.

2. Starting #2 WR (Givens, free agency or draft)
With the turmoil in Buffalo, the Bills may be prepared to trade Eric Moulds (32 yrs old). Under contact through 2007. How good would he look opposite Deon Branch? Far more likely: re-sign Givens. The draft doesn't have a #2 receiver who'll be ready as a rookie.

Givens would be ideal, but very unlikely. While AJ has posted several times that he doesn't have the speed or size to be a highly coveted free agent, he will have several suitors who are just looking for an accomplished receiver. Philly. Pitt. Indy once Wayne moves on. Houston. Miami. Mangini.

Andre Davis was the #1 WR in Cleveland for two years. He also returns kicks. I think he was brought in to replace Givens. Moving him back to his natural outside position instead of the slot and a full offseason studying the offense will help him become a legit #2 receiver for this team. We'll see how much money he wants.

This is a situation where I would aggressively target a player in free agency, and that would be Antwaan Randle El. He's got the speed and shiftiness in the slot that Troy did 5 years ago. He's also a punt returner. He can also save a roster spot at quarterback and be the #3, so we can nudge Flutie into retirement. Brown can stick around as a depth WR and CB, or somewhere on the coaching staff.

4. Starting RG (Neal or draft)
Bring Neal back!
Agreed.

5. Young depth at ILB (free agency or draft)
This year is going to be a historic for LB talent in the first two rounds. If we can land Greenway at #21, it would be a coup-- big, athletic, team oriented, player with great smarts. And he played for former Belichick assistant Kirk Ferentz.

I think it's worth keeping an eye on Keith Bulluck. If he doesn't feel like restructuring, and really, he shouldn't, he'll be a cap casualty. Hopefully BB can convince the upstate New York native to come back to the northeast and play in his defense. I'm sure we'll draft a linebacker, maybe two, but I'm not sure how high.

I think Ko Simpson could step in for Rodney. We don't really play a traditional strong and weak safety scheme, so a knockout artist isn't a necessity. Guss Scott may figure into this as well.

7. Depth at CB (Gay or draft)
I think the world of Randall Gay, ever since his rookie training camp, when he looked so natural in coverage, and later during his rookie campaign when he made a sweet open field tackle on Marcus Pollard to force a 3-and-out. Gay Love.
Gay AND Draft

8. ST Coverage (Chatham, free agency or draft)
Chatham needs to share some blame for the poor kickoff coverage we had in 2005. I think he a favorite to return, unless BB decides to head in a different direction.
You can be sure that three/four of the draftees are going to be coverage guys. With TBC, Stone, Izzo, Sanders, Scott, etc. I feel pretty good about our coverage teams.

9. #4 WR (Davis or draft)
Davis impressed me over the course of the year. I'd be happy to have him back for a reasonable contact.
If we draft a 1st day rookie, this could be his spot. It could be Bethel's just because he's cheap and can play Coverage teams. It could be Troy or Dwight's if we don't draft a WR. I'm also intrigued with Jeremy Bloom if he lasts until the second day. He'll be the new Dwight.

10. Starting KR (Dwight or draft)
I found having Dwight returning kicks was very reassuring. Plus, he provides good depth at WR. I'd rather keep Tim than Bethel.

I don't remember Dwight returning many kicks. Besides Bethel, we have Hobbs, and Davis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey