“Unselfish” Ninkovich Bids an Emotional Adieu to the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
“Unselfish” Ninkovich Bids an Emotional Adieu to the Patriots

Steve Balestrieri

In a media workroom packed with family, teammates, coaches, owners and the Patriots media beat writers, Rob Ninkovich retired in an emotional ceremony that celebrated his Patriots career.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

It certainly was emotional. Some really beautiful moments.

One that stood out to me is when he mumbled . as if he wanted to only say it to himself but somehow the words found their way to the mike even if sottovoce: “I love it here. I will miss it.“ A very emotional testimony that behind the “iron courtain“ there is a lot of love . and that if you can embrace this culture . you will love it deeply.

The other is Bill throwing detailed descriptions and datings of big number of Ninko's plays and moments like they all happened yesterday. Like only a parent would know about his child. Maybe he doesn't pay every player acc. to his (players) expectations (because he can't) but these moments show how deeply he loves so many of them. Players nowadays like to say that they want some love from the organization (meaning big money) but if they wanna know real love they should better watch this ceremony. That's why it was so great so many players were there to witness.

It was a powerful conference. I won't lie, I was crying. I'll miss Ninko.

BB's sendoff was amazing. And it's incredible how he remembers each of Ninko's strip sacks and interceptions (he even counted all 5 of Ninko's interceptions like he remembered each of them "2 against Miami, 2 against Jets, and the 5th was when you got Manning on that crossing pattern") . BB showed a lot of regard for Ninkovich, and I believe everything BB has a message and the message here for the team is that you have to work hard and be dedicated like Ninko to earn this kind of respect and regard from BB and the coaches and ownership.

It was definitely moving and reminded me of the day Bruschi retired. Belichick called him "the perfect player" and it's funny that Ninkovich got here not much before that press conference.

Here's the piece I wrote 8-years ago for Bruschi. A lot of similarities in that one as well.

Bruschi's Retirement Marks the End of An Era

Really enjoyed Ninko's press conference and thought the team did a great job. Tough to see him go, but I'm glad he got to go out on his own terms.

See you in five years Ninko…we’ll recognize you. You’ll be the guy in the red jacket.

Sums it all up perfectly. Thanks for the report. Gonna miss the big guy.

Reactions: Ian
I hope the rookies, FAs and Ealy were watching.

If they want to learn how to be successful as a NEP and a class-act, first - rate professional and team mate, Nink just taught them at a doctorate level

It was definitely moving and reminded me of the day Bruschi retired. Belichick called him "the perfect player" and it's funny that Ninkovich got here not much before that press conference.

Here's the piece I wrote 8-years ago for Bruschi. A lot of similarities in that one as well.

Bruschi's Retirement Marks the End of An Era

Really enjoyed Ninko's press conference and thought the team did a great job. Tough to see him go, but I'm glad he got to go out on his own terms.

I remember that day. And yes, this bringing up similar feelings for me as well.

Very emotional and classy.
I admit a little welling up.

Ninko is up there.,,,
But, Bruschi is still my #1 Pat.

Reactions: Ian
He had "it," on the field and as we saw today, in the locker room, being a leader and accountable, taking coaching well and helping the coaches to get their messages and plans across to the team. Hey the guy even understood the right way to deal with the guys covering the team. What a tremendous story, and how great is it to have this event here at the start of camp, a beautiful way to bring the guys together emotionally. Hopefully a memorable kickoff to a magical season.

GO PATS!!!!

I'll always remember Ninko staying at home and busting screens and sweeps. Sweet!

Ninkovich knew it was time to walk away.. a really smart football player knows.

Thought he lost a step in Superbowl LI.. but will miss his on the field intelligence and leadership.

IMO would make a great coach, but not sure he wants the commitment that entails..

Class act, just like the last player to wear #50. I hope coach can get another to wear the number in the patriots way....

He was money.

He was Boston too. A player perfect for that city.

Class act. Great player for us. For those of you wondering this will be how Brady retires as well. He will know he lost it and not force himself to play subpar.

One interesting . and somewhat comforting . thing was that both said he will stay around. BB on the podium and Ninko when he was hugging people.

Later he said he will be available to young guys during TC.

Hopefully he does stick around..

Thanks for the memories, Nink...

markfailed.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

Your daughter's gonna love you in that red jacket. :)

One interesting . and somewhat comforting . thing was that both said he will stay around.

Later he said he will be available to young guys during TC.

Hopefully he does stick around..

NIce article on the topic :

Ninkovich open to helping out young Patriots pass-rushers: 'They're like my brothers'

quote:

As Ninkovich embraced Wise he said, "I'll be here. Just let me know, all right?"

By the sounds of things, though Ninkovich is retiring, he hasn't given up on the idea of hanging around the Patriots to help younger edge-defenders and linebackers.

"There’s certainly a degree of sadness in the way that we’ll miss him," Bill Belichick said in his opening remarks at Ninkovich's presser, "although he’ll be around and be part of the team."

_

"He's been tremendous, man," Wise said. "Ever since my first day here, he's been talking to me about little things, whether it was about recovery, the ice tub after practice, stretching, how to do weight room stuff. He's kinda been like an older brother in a sense in the locker room.

"His presence is great. On the field, he'll tell me small things, how to turn my hands to get more extension, little small steps when I'm going down the line instead of big, long steps. He's been great. Everything he's taught me I will remember."

"Rob, he helps me out. He's a teacher," Rivers said last week. "He's a helper. He loves to help and serve younger guys . . . Rob always, as soon as he's done with his rep, he comes around and talks to us when we're not taking one."

_

"These young guys, I think they have a bright future and I'm not going anywhere so I'm going to help those guys out. They're like my brothers so I'm going to do the best that I can even though I can't go out there and play. But I'm going to help them as much as I can, give them anything that I know with the knowledge that I have."

Fkcing Early Edition has Trainy and Felger whining about why Nink hasn't been hammered more on his PED suspension and also how the media is too soft on the Pats. I stopped watching squeaky and douche a couple of years ago..... sorry I saw him on Comcast. What an ahole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back