Welcome to PatsFans.com

Zynga IPO values company as high as $9.04 billion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 2, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Seriously?

A "social game" company that sells nothing tangible? Makes one wonder who spends the money to "buy" "virtual weapons" :nooo:

It used to take years to build up a company to even $1 billion. Personally, I see investing in these companies as extremely risky. I'd even consider Facebook risky because I think it's a fad industry....btw...what happened to "MySpace"? :rolleyes:

Zynga IPO values company as high as $9.04 billion - Yahoo! Finance
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They actually do sell stuff. You can buy points, and upgrades so you can catch up with your friends in these games. As well, they allow companies, say Blockbuster for example, to post a deal, and if someone takes that deal they get game points, and block buster pays the game maker.

I think anyone who invests in this would be stupid. 1 Billion is WAY over priced, but then again, that's probably only 3 million in terms of 2001 money. ;)

Remember, Google doesn't sell anything of real value either. The only way google profits is by people buying ads, and other people clicking on them. Android the OS is giving away free, and every other product Google has made, is either free or doesn't make that much.

So when you say "company that sells nothing tangible?" - Ask your self the same questions of Google.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I think Google is the exception, not the rule regarding internet companies. We could ad Ebay and few others in the company of Google.

MySpace is more like what happens to most internet juggernauts. Expecially the social networking ones.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree, but Facebook is so large, nothing else has every achieved it's size before. MySpace, while large, was never as lasge as facebook. And I agree, that today you hear "Follow Us on Facebook" where 10 years ago it was "AOL Keyword: Bikes!"

It's just the next trend.

I believe Google will eventually have a real competitor as well. Since google makes most of it's money from ads, if anyone seriously puts a dent in their search traffic, let's say and Apple search engine, then google's valuation is dramatically effected.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Big upps to my SF developers! Lots of my liberal friends just became 1%ers. However...they will soon taste the sting of being a public company, and being a slave to #s and 'the street'. As with almost all good ideas gone public, this company and its ideas will never be the same.

enjoy the $$ now, friends....you now enter the world of the earth largest shell game.

Going public is fun for those who enjoy the short term profit. It sucks for those creative people who now have an invisible master.

I'm going to pick out chrome ferraris with a few animators...be back later....
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I'm 100% with you on this PR. Investor beware. Even with Google, while I completely agree that they are the exception, remember how powerful or valuable Yahoo was at one point. With trend like, fad driven, internet based, produce nothing tangiable entities like these, the cliff is always nearby.

2005 Myspace sold for $580 million.

2011 Myspace sold for $35 million.

Ouch.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Those last 2 points are amazing...I can't think of another business where things can turn so fast.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Lehman Brothers?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Ba-da....BING!:p
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

ZYNGA,
    Sounds like one of Obama's Illegal Alien Relatives.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's give a shout out to everyone who got in on CMGI at $100 a share! :rocker: