PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zoltan Mesko Waived By Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow has this guys career taken a nose dive.

That's sad. I hope he regains his confidence and gets picked up by another team.

He'll be ok, the Steelers guaranteed his 1.3m salary by picking him up on waivers before week 1.

Makes me hate the Steelers even more.

God speed Zoltán.

Guy has a good sense of humor

Zoltan Mesko ‏@ZoltanMesko 42m
Well....my schedule just opened up.
That's too funny. Got to have nothing but best wishes for him.

He'll be ok, the Steelers guaranteed his 1.3m salary by picking him up on waivers before week 1.

(A) Mesko actually cleared waivers.
(B) His Steelers salary was only $630K (vet min for a fourth-year player).
(C) Since he's not eligible for free agency (he has to go through waivers), he's not eligible for termination pay.

:(

Guy has a good sense of humor

Zoltan Mesko ‏@ZoltanMesko 42m
Well....my schedule just opened up.

On a serious note . . . is there anyone here who thinks Mesko wouldn't be a good football analyst?

Wow, was he that bad for the Steelers? I was surprised when he was cut by the Pats and now am surprised again that he was cut by the Steelers. I thought he was a pretty good punter. I guess I am not all that knowledgeable about professional punting...

He was terrible. 34 punts, 3 inside the 20. He's not the biggest issue we have, but he's easily the most replaceable.

He was terrible. 34 punts, 3 inside the 20. He's not the biggest issue we have, but he's easily the most replaceable.
Yikes. Were the blocked punts his fault or was it blocking (or both)?

Yikes. Were the blocked punts his fault or was it blocking (or both)?

One was blocked due to a third string TE having to be used out of pure necessity, but he was averaging 30-ish yards/punt when his protection was solid and he had time. I don't know what happened to Mesko, but he was just inefficient.

The most frustrating thing though was when he was punting well, he was punting well. He had a 56 yard punt that stopped at the 1 yard line. It was honestly one of the best punts I've ever seen. He followed it up by a 35 yard shank however.

I don't know how he punted here, but it was infuriating watching him be inconsistent.

One was blocked due to a third string TE having to be used out of pure necessity, but he was averaging 30-ish yards/punt when his protection was solid and he had time. I don't know what happened to Mesko, but he was just inefficient.

The most frustrating thing though was when he was punting well, he was punting well. He had a 56 yard punt that stopped at the 1 yard line. It was honestly one of the best punts I've ever seen. He followed it up by a 35 yard shank however.

I don't know how he punted here, but it was infuriating watching him be inconsistent.
He was good here. Not the best leg but definitely had over 40 yards/punt the large majority of the time when the situation called for it. I also recall him being great at getting punts < 20 and few touchbacks.

Strange that things went south in PIT for him.

EDIT: I'd say his consistency was his biggest strength here, btw.

He was good here. Not the best leg but definitely had over 40 yards/punt the large majority of the time when the situation called for it. I also recall him being great at getting punts < 20 and few touchbacks.

Strange that things went south in PIT for him.

EDIT: I'd say his consistency was his biggest strength here, btw.

He had his outstanding moments, too. The biggest highlight was the OT punt against the Ravens back in 2010. Kept them pinned all the way back near their own 10 at a point where they just needed to get into FG range to win.

Tunescribe said:
His was the only official Pats jersey shirt to bear a player's first name. (Just a bit of trivia I knew would astound everyone.)
Are you sure about that? Mesko's his last name. He's using the American ordering instead of the Hungarian. If he were in Hungary, then he'd be Meskó Zoltán. Over here, he's just Zoltan Mesko.

He had his outstanding moments, too. The biggest highlight was the OT punt against the Ravens back in 2010. Kept them pinned all the way back near their own 10 at a point where they just needed to get into FG range to win.

Are you sure about that? Mesko's his last name. He's using the American ordering instead of the Hungarian. If he were in Hungary, then he'd be Meskó Zoltán. Over here, he's just Zoltan Mesko.
I remember that punt against the Ravens. I was watching with a buddy and was thinking BAL was going to have a very short field since the Patriots were punting from inside their own 20. Mesko booted it 65+ yards to the Ravens 20 and I was happily wrong.

+1

While we did NOT, in any way, deserve to win last Sunday, we actually might have had a shot without a couple of very poorly timed bad punts. Mesko has been a lousy and inconsistent punter on a team that can't afford crappy field position. He may be a great guy but he's been a *bad* punter this year.

I am assuming that releasing Mesko for us to pick up was BB's revenge for us matching Manny Sanders. (Well played, sir...well played!)

:confused:

His jersey shirt said "ZOLTAN 14."

Regardless of ordering, his was the only one featuring his given name rather than his family name.

Wow, was he that bad for the Steelers?

He ~was~ good with New England. I really loved having him in NE. But, imo, he was not that good with Pittsburgh... it could always be a chemistry/timing thing with how the ST works, but he wasn't getting as good results... not surprised by his being waived :(

Sheesh even Ken Walter lasted 9 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye