PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak thinks Edelman could be a secret weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Edelperson but who is not on the field when he is on the field? A short field over the middle slant oriented offense where run deep Tate sits? Then we'd have 2 TEs, Welker, Edelman, and maybe even Woodhead all colliding with each other over the middle and sidelines in a short field. :)

Maybe Zolak has been hit in the head just a few times too many.

Indeed. Not sure why taking out Welker at ANY point would be a good idea.

Well a lot of people thought taking Randy out for a whole year wouldn't be a good idea either, but that seemed to of worked out. Welker is more of a product of Brady's Brilliance. Insert Edelman and the results could be the just as good, if not better. Edelman has more big play ability after the catch, Welker is probably with out a doubt, better in terms of being on the same page as Brady, with blitz adjustments, but why not put Edelman in for some WR screens at the least.

Also Welker's hands haven't been great latley. Better then Edelman in that department, but I'm not buying that Wes is that much better then Edelman.

I think the point of the OP was what to do if the Jets "take him out" by focusing on him (man coverage by Revis).

I think the point of the OP was what to do if the Jets "take him out" by focusing on him (man coverage by Revis).
Branch, Tate, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Woodhead (any combination of the aforementioned four with Welker should suffice).

Also Welker's hands haven't been great latley. Better then Edelman in that department, but I'm not buying that Wes is that much better then Edelman.

notsureifsrs.jpg

he will be a big part on punt re-turns and i could see him play a few snaps at wildcat ( only if the jets find a pass rush ) that would slow them down

I was honestly thinking the xfactor in the post-season for the Pats could be either Brandon Tate or Taylor Price.

Well, here's one example of why Edelman should be on the field at least a bit more than he is:

Three times they used an Edelround (i.e., Edelman on the end-around). The results?

* A fake that turned into a dumpoff in the flat that Edelman took 40 yards
* A fake that turned into a 42-yard TD, Hoyer to Tate
* A real end-around that gained 13 yards

Not saying it'll be as successful here, but I don't think getting Edelman more involved would turn out disastrously, either.

Feeling pain from a Jumbo beatdown,
their vision blurs with the contrarian
Mini Zoom group.
Edelman/Welker/Woodhead, mini stacked weak side.
Motion confusion chaos,
mixed with no huddle 3 step, quick snap.

jets respond with Cover who? D.
(modified cover 2)

OT
Zoltan and Zolak in the same room
could enable travel to parallel universes.

Last edited:
OT
Zoltan and Zolak in the same room
could enable travel to parallel universes.

Nah. Zoltan would just kick Zolak into outer space. :D

Nah. Zoltan would just kick Zolak into outer space. :D

passed the end zone right into another dimension.
:)
While on that theme...
NFLPA: “Any suggestion we want a lockout is coming from outer space”

Taylor Price will be the secret weapon...

I would be very surprised. For one thing, the only time he was active was in the game where our top two receivers sat. And while he played well (as well as 3 catches can indicate), remember that he's probably getting most of his practice reps with Brian Hoyer, not Tom Brady. Tom is probably practicing mostly with the guys likely to play each Sunday. So Taylor looking good with Hoyer for 3 or 4 plays does not mean he can translate that to chemistry with Brady in a playoff game.

Stick with what got ya here. Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman (to a much lesser extent), Gronk, Hernandez, Crumpler, Woodhead, BJGE. No room for a 3rd round rookie project if all of them are healthy.

Why do we need a secret weapon when our non-secret weapons are already more than the Jets can handle?

Right. While I briefly had the same thought -- absent injury, I don't see which of Welker, Branch, Gronkowski, or Hernandez NobleMan would take significant numbers of snaps away from.

I CAN envision Edelman leapfrogging Tate on the depth chart against a team that's good at covering speed receivers, but that's more a matter of Tate dropping into oblivion for a week than Edelman getting very high.

Not to be offensive here... but you wouldn't do well as a Patriot.
What's BB's 2nd favorite quote besides "It is what it is"? I'd say it's "do your job".
A WR's job is to catch passes when they are thrown to him period.

After a TE blocks all day and is then open in the end zone on his first pass target he needs to make the catch.
If Revis is covering a guy who is not open 30 out of 30 times, maybe he will be open on the 31st attempt and in that situation needs to make the catch.
No rhythm no flow. Do these things do these help? Of course. But as a professional you are expected to do your job regardless of the situation.

You would have cut Jerry Rice.

Why do we need a secret weapon when our non-secret weapons are already more than the Jets can handle?
Agreed. The Patriots have no need to spring anything on the Jets. We'll beat them with proven players, scheme, personnel changes and the fact that we're more fundamentally sound and a better coached team who will be better prepared for this match.

Leave the gimmicks to the desperate.

Last edited:
Agreed. The Patriots have no need to spring anything on the Jets. We'll beat them with proven players, scheme, personnel changes and the fact that we're more fundamentally sound and a better coached team who will be better prepared for this match.

Leave the gimmicks to the desperate.

THIS!!!! Good point Mack & Aus

Bring back Sam Aiken or Doug Gabriel or Reche Caldwell to be our secret weapon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back