PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak - Patriots think the league has NOTHING

If the name of the ball boy/attendant becomes public and the NFL comes down on the Pats for improperly deflated balls and infers it was the ball boy who did it, he would have the best defamation case against the NFL. He is not a public figure and the actual malice standard would not apply to him. At this point, I think it is safe to say he has already spoken to the NFL and denied tampering with the balls and for the NFL to say otherwise is to call him a liar.

Anyone know what the rules are for the uhm ball attendant? I.e. is he charged for keeping possession of the bags until he hands them to the respective teams? IOW if he had to take a leak but left the them outside untended would that be worse?

edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
If the name of the ball boy/attendant becomes public and the NFL comes down on the Pats for improperly deflated balls and infers it was the ball boy who did it, he would have the best defamation case against the NFL. He is not a public figure and the actual malice standard would not apply to him. At this point, I think it is safe to say he has already spoken to the NFL and denied tampering with the balls and for the NFL to say otherwise is to call him a liar.

Exactly. The ball attendant is the only person who could have done what the aholes are claiming was done, and the window to deflate the baseballs was 90 seconds. Anyone who thinks that was what he was doing in the bathroom is a ******. The ball attendant should hire a lawyer and let the NFL know they better be able to prove their claim if they actually are stupid enough to make it.

Anyone know what the rules are for the uhm ball attendant? I.e. is he charged for keeping possession of the bags until he hands them to the respective teams? IOW if he had to take a leak but left the them outside unintended would that be worse?

Yes, it would. What if he comes out and they are gone? Then he's really screwed. People are acting as if that was a private area, it's not, it's a public bathroom for those with access to that part of the stadium, and they were actually discussing the inside of it on the radio yesterday because media members use it when they are at field level.

Exactly. The ball attendant is the only person who could have done what the aholes are claiming was done, and the window to deflate the baseballs was 90 seconds. Anyone who thinks that was what he was doing in the bathroom is a ******. The ball attendant should hire a lawyer and let the NFL know they better be able to prove their claim if they actually are stupid enough to make it.
If I had to defend this ball attendant in court, I would call Goodell to the stand and set him the task of dumping 24 footballs (12 game + 12 backup) from a ball ball bag and putting them all back in the bag within 90 seconds. Footballs behaving the way they do when set loose, I doubt that he could do that.

I think its easy to see they have nothing. Especially after Wells came out and "several weeks".
Yup, long and with leaks to "up the pressure." I've seen this on many TV cop show. The NFL is doing a fishing expedition.

Pity this means the NFL (re: Goodell) is not even pretending to be neutral anymore. Kraft should call for his firing - without pension.

Being objective - if this attendant is a Pats employee then I absolutely think a fine is coming, Not for cheating but for controls and procedures not being followed by team employees when prepping for an NFL game.

There has to be something already in the game ops manual about this. Allowing a dude to go wherever he wants with game balls seems like something that could easily be abused for nefarious purposes. Which I do not believe was the case here but it could be next time. The league will update their policies to ensure this or any "hole" in their procedures is plugged.

What I'm saying is a nominal fine from a standpoint of the balls were under specs. Obviously the only true right is a complete exoneration and apology.
So you would be fining who? The weatherman?

I think it will be more of the "one coincidence may be accepted, but two....."

Coincidence #1: The Ball boy had to take a piss before the game, at that particular time, with a bag full of game day balls.

Coincidence #2: The balls ended up deflated.

Why does nearly everyone ignore the biggest item, the laws of physics?
If the refs set the balls at 12.5 psi or thereabouts n their indoor locker room, the balls HAD to be deflated at halftime.
People ignoring this basic fact is mind-blowing.

Fine the Pats because the ball boy took a leak on the way to the field? Are you kidding?

We aren't talking about guarding plutonium pits for arming thermonuclear bombs here. These are frickin' footballs....

Being objective - if this attendant is a Pats employee then I absolutely think a fine is coming, Not for cheating but for controls and procedures not being followed by team employees when prepping for an NFL game.

Allowing a dude to go wherever he wants with game balls seems like something that could easily be abused for nefarious purposes. Which I do not believe was the case here but it could be next time. The league will update their policies to ensure this "hole" in their procedures is plugged.
So there is a rule that you can't stop to take a leak? There was never been any rule you have to prove you were never alone with your balls.

Yup, long and with leaks to "up the pressure." I've seen this on many TV cop show. The NFL is doing a fishing expedition.

Pity this means the NFL (re: Goodell) is not even pretending to be neutral anymore. Kraft should call for his firing - without pension.
Listening to Florio on WEEI right now. says the NFL can punish the Pats simply because the balls weren't at 12.5. No explanation or proof of intent is needed. said another head coach tested to see if he could deflate 12 balls in 90 seconds and he was told he did and still had time to take a piss. Lets face it, Pats are going down on this. The leaks are leaks for a reason, they want to take the pats down.

Yes, it would. What if he comes out and they are gone? Then he's really screwed. People are acting as if that was a private area, it's not, it's a public bathroom for those with access to that part of the stadium, and they were actually discussing the inside of it on the radio yesterday because media members use it when they are at field level.

So Goodell is going to fine the Patriots because of unauthorized use of a bathroom and failing to properly maintain chain of custody, got it.

Just joking.
Sort of.

If the refs set the balls at 12.5 psi or thereabouts n their indoor locker room, the balls HAD to be deflated at halftime.

Its because the Dolts balls were within the required range. People are hanging on to that "fact".

There has to be something already in the game ops manual about this. Allowing a dude to go wherever he wants with game balls seems like something that could easily be abused for nefarious purposes. Which I do not believe was the case here but it could be next time. The league will update their policies to ensure this or any "hole" in their procedures is plugged.

Should the fine be dictated by the length of the piss? Say half a million for every 30 seconds? 5 million if he takes a dump?

Please tell which "controls and procedures" the Pats would be in violation of?

The Colts wanted the balls checked during the game, I have no doubt they inflated theirs to the max.

Correct --- there are still many facts yet to be revealed. Yet people jump to conclusions. Is this America or North "F*CKING" Korea?

Please tell which "controls and procedures" the Pats would be in violation of?

Section 39 Discharge of Bodily Fluuids

The league provides every attendant with NASCAR JUMPSUITS fully equipped with an internal bladder so they can piss themselves properly. His failure to wear it can result in a huge fine.

They're not ignoring, they're hating...

You say potaeito.... I say potato....

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots