PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak excited about Crable, thinks he can contribute immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet Mayo starts from day 1 (with the caveat that in the first few weeks, he may not be 'called the starter' but will play the 1st or 2nd most snaps at the ILB position).
The concept that BB holds rookies back is a misconception.
Seymour, Light, Wilson, Mankins, Koppen, Wilfork, Graham all started basically from the get go.
Maroney was not held back at all, but had Dillon to split time with. Warren didnt begin the year as astarter only because of the other players we had, and was a starter by mid-year. Kaczur and OCallahan played a lot as rookies. Samuel was the nickel week 1. Hobbs started in his rookie year.

There are very few draft choices who turned out to be good picks that werent on the field immediately.
In reality the fact is that BB doesnt play his bad draft picks as rookies, but the ones that are good picks play as much or more than other teams rookies (with the obvious obstacle that they are drafted by a team that has the most talent in the NFL)

That's exactly what I meant by "good feeling".:D

Although, I'm hoping Crable has more upside than what your suggesting.

That's exactly what I meant by "good feeling".:D

Although, I'm hoping Crable has more upside than what your suggesting.

I probably shouldnt be saying 'upside'. What I mean is if he develops into an NFL player thats what I see him becoming as the best case I can envision.
The whole thing here is, and everyone seems to miss this fact, the day you draft a guy about 1% of what is going to happen in his career is already decided. There has never been a player drafted that would have been any good if he learned nothing and improved nothing after draft day. No college player comes out with enough knowledge of how to play the game at the NFL, none come out with techniques mastered (most of the best players find out in the NFL that when the competition level rises, all of sudden technique means everything and raw talent wont get you by, and most raw talents lean on that in college) none come out prepared for what it is to be an NFL player.
The teaching and coaching they either absorb or don't means more than how much talent they walked in the door with. Just the discipline to avoid the off the field problems waiting for them, to workout at a level you have to when everyone else is as big, strong and fast (when that wasnt the case at the last level) and the mental part of not facing people you are clearly better than every week, causes TONS of 'cant miss guys' to miss.

What Crable is going to be is going to depend on today forward (or first rookie camp forward) not what he was on draft day. If he approaches being an NFL player the way Tom Brady did, he is a lock to be very good. If he approaches it like Kenyatta Jones or Ryan Leaf he is a lock to fail. That goes for everyone drafted.

Most teams that draft well, coach well. Most teams that draft well are also drafting coachability. You can't teach talent, but when every player that shows up for camp has enough talent to be very good if he is coachable, those that are not coachable fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes