Welcome to PatsFans.com

Zolak excited about Crable, thinks he can contribute immediately

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyManny, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +575 / 6 / -0

All good points. FWIW, Crable's combine measurables on "explosiveness" (10-yd split, vertical, etc.) were all pretty pedestrian. This guy was clearly drafted based on what they saw on the field, not measurables or physique. I frankly wasn't too high on him pre-draft, but I'm eagerly looking forward to being proven wrong!
  2. BestQB

BestQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only way I would respond to that is how much football has BB, Parcells, and lets say even Jason Garrett. Just because he carried a clipboard doesn't mean he can't judge talent.
  3. K-Ro 25

K-Ro 25 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think Crable is going to be a beast I just think he needs time to bulk up. Being the avid Michigan follower that I am, He was great in pass rush but left a little to be desired in run coverage. I think he will thrive with you guys as that situational pin your ears back and rush guy, in a couple years after learning from Vrabel and AD I think he will transition into an every down 3-4 OLB. I think he could get around 5.5 sacks in his rookie year

(BTW who said I cant be objectional?)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  4. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

so i guess your saying i cant agree with him ??? he played so hes right ok i get it your a star gazer
  5. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

you seem to be a believer in zolak , good luck. and keep on cheering,
  6. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

cushy gig on weei fill in?? i wonder what your cushy gig is i can only imagine
  7. patsgo

patsgo Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

thats why you fill 20 hours a day here
  8. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

You still haven't given any reason why you don't think Crable is going to contribute. Still yet to say anything substantive...
  9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +109 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I believe the thread is about Crable and not about everyone who post on the thread. Let's keep our comments on the subject. And Zolak did play Pro ball so his opinion is based on something even if it's proven wrong this time.

Now back on to Crable. From everything I've read and heard about him, I think he'll be a situationsl pass rusher from the OLB position this year. He may be more than that in the future.
  10. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Just a realist is all.......

Tell me, what did Zolak do that turned you against his ability to offer an educated opinion??

Look at what he said - Crable should be able to contribute in his rookie year, on third down utilizing his speed to help in this small way fill some of the void left by Colvin leaving. Not exactly rookie of the year or player of any week if you ask me, but a solid contribution and one I would be pleased as punch to see from a rookie.
  11. K-Ro 25

K-Ro 25 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I see the same thing for him year 1, I think he is going to have a better rookie year then his former LB mate LaMarr Woodley, its crucial for this guy to bulk up and to build on his great raw ability. The only time I ever was really down on Crable at Michigan was when he made a crucial roughing the passer penalty on Troy Smith in the 1 vs 2 OSU Michigan game a couple years back.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

I'll be presently surprised if any rookie linebacker becomes a solid contributer in this defense. I'd really look more for Victor Hobson over Mayo on the inside, and Woods over Crable on the outside.
  13. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think Crable could be a solid contributor with speed off the edge. I think this whole knock about his lack of a strong build plays into exactly what the Michigan fan said. He probably isn't a guy we'd want running down LT, but he could be a spark plug and get after the QB. I wouldn't bet on Crable being like Shawn Merriman, but I think if he understands the defense he could very well be a contributor on this team.
  14. TripleOption

TripleOption Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He was a Center and they called him the "Weak Link"...if that gives you any insight into his playing prowess.
  15. TripleOption

TripleOption Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Garrett was the best of the three; the other 2 never played in the NFL or at a D1 College.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

It could be friggin trash barrels ... not many guys can do that ... somebody piss in your cheerios again.
  17. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +272 / 13 / -8

Why arent you working as a talent evaluator?
    Let me give you an example. I will believe the opinion of someone who has a graduate degree in math over someone he reads their opinion and questions their qualification to make it without having a high school diploma.
    Is Scott Zolak qualified to be the head of personell for an NFL team, or a HC? Of course not. Does he know more about football (anything having to do with football) because he was a starting QB in college, was in the NFL for years, and now analyzes it than you? Of course he does. You have to be in denial if you think someone who spent that much of his life involved in football at its highest level, STUDYING the game has knowledge anything less than FAR ABOVE a typical football fan. Oh, yeah, by the way, Zolak has actually looked at the player and seen him do some things on the football field, so on top of more knowledge to evaluate what he is seeing he has more information to based the opinion on than you.
  18. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Mayo will be starting at least by several games into the season.
    I just have a good feeling.
  19. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +272 / 13 / -8

I dont see that. I see Crable, from what I saw at Michigan, as a solid, all-around guy. A guy who can do everything he is asked to do reasonably well, and nothing really outstandingly.
    I think the top of his upside is a solid every down player, who is unspectacular but not a liability, and his downside is he never sees the field because he doesnt bring that to the next level. Relaible, not a liability can be an effective player in the NFL. If the jump to this level exposes a liability he won't develop too far.
    I think the opinion (or hope) that since his position is OLB and he was a DE/OLB tweener in college that he will be a dominant pass rusher doesn't consider this players true skillset.
    I'm not saying he can't rush the QB, but he is never going to dominate.
  20. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +272 / 13 / -8

I would bet Mayo starts from day 1 (with the caveat that in the first few weeks, he may not be 'called the starter' but will play the 1st or 2nd most snaps at the ILB position).
    The concept that BB holds rookies back is a misconception.
    Seymour, Light, Wilson, Mankins, Koppen, Wilfork, Graham all started basically from the get go.
    Maroney was not held back at all, but had Dillon to split time with. Warren didnt begin the year as astarter only because of the other players we had, and was a starter by mid-year. Kaczur and OCallahan played a lot as rookies. Samuel was the nickel week 1. Hobbs started in his rookie year.

There are very few draft choices who turned out to be good picks that werent on the field immediately.
    In reality the fact is that BB doesnt play his bad draft picks as rookies, but the ones that are good picks play as much or more than other teams rookies (with the obvious obstacle that they are drafted by a team that has the most talent in the NFL)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.