PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zach Thomas to Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Zach Thomas to Cowboys.

Ah great, I know he had a tough year but I feel Zack can be a real contri-

Oh, we didn't sign him. *changes card*

Haha, good luck with that Dallas! Last thing we need is an ageing linebacker coming off a concussion.

Uh, we would need young LBs to groom whether we signed Zach or not. Zach coming here would not prevented us from bringing young LBs into the mix.
I agree,,,it would have been nice..but there will be OTHER vet LBs who will become available..maybe a bit younger who will fit. It is his home..so I am sure that had a lot to do with it. It's the under the radar deals that the Pats usually do..and I am sure they will find some LBs to fill in.

Last edited:

1. I'm kind of amazed Bobby Carpenter is still off the map as a starter.

2. Does this mean the Cowboys are getting rid of a mlb?

Better he gets his next concussion on Wade's watch. Jason Cole was saying the other day that while he believed if healthy he could still play some, he's had over 15 concussions in his football career and this last non football one was a doozie. He said he was hoping he would walk away and call it a day.

We probably offered him a slightly different deal with less signing bonus, workout and roster bonus language and playing time incentives. And that would have likely entailed taking part in the off season workout program and spring camps to gauge his effectiveness. A lot easier to to in his home state.

I don't think the Pats offered him $2 mil in money he can see and I'm wondering how realistic his incentive money is. If he would have signed with the Cowpies for about the vet. min. I would have been upset, but as is I'm glad the Pats didn't drop that on a player with concerns about health and playing in the middle of BB's 3-4. I would have been happy to see him here if it was for a Pats-friendly deal.

For context, compare Thomas's contract to those of Junior Seau in the last two years ($1 mil in salary, $0 signing bonus, $0 in incentives in '06; $1 mil salary, $0 signing bonus, $100,000 in incentives in '07).

I was very lukewarm about him coming to New England ude to his injury history, age and small size.

I am very surprised the Cowboys would sign him.

I do not understand what has happened to Bobby Carpenter.

I wish the Patriots could find a way to get him!

Good. I'm tired of old washed up Lbers who have the on-field impact of a hologram.

Ah great, I know he had a tough year but I feel Zack can be a real contri-

Oh, we didn't sign him. *changes card*

Haha, good luck with that Dallas! Last thing we need is an ageing linebacker coming off a concussion.

:rofl: This is so true, for me at least!

Why would they sign him? Don't they have enough LB's already? Ayodele and James are pretty good inside. I don't know where Thomas will fit in.

Last edited:

That's a relief. I only wanted Thomas if Bruschi was retiring. But I'm assuming Bru is coming back for one more season, and having both on the team would've been redundant.

He was way too young anyway...

i was on the fence with him playing in the 3-4 so its not a big deal he signed with Dallas, i wanted him to come here to sway Taylor. Oh well now we will just have to use brute force to get Taylor.

This is GOOD news. We need to get younger and healthier. I like Thomas, but the Thomas of 4-5 years ago. Let's not continue to sign players in their mid 30's who have their best days behind them. For two seasons now we have lost the last games on the last watch of our aging defense. Our Defense was good last year and maybe even great at times and the same can be said for the year before, but BUT....... as the year wore on our defense wore out. I think it is no coinincidence that our defense got burned on the final two drives in the past two biggest games of the year. Both times the defense was exhausted and I do beleive age contributed to that! Again, happy to hear Thomas did not sign here. Personally, I am sick about hearing how long in the tooth we are at Linebacker...yada yada yada....

WE MUST GET YOUNGER!

Last edited:

We need to get younger, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have signed Thomas for depth and draft a guy to work into the position. Having Zach ensures that one injury doesn't put both Seau/Bruschi (if they do come back) into full time roles again. This is not devastating, but definately not good news either, especially for the price I would have loved to see Thomas in a Pats uniform.

hes a good LB but at 3mill for one yer i think we can get 55 and 54 at that price next yer

He is from Pampa, close to the panhandle of Texas. In the Amarillo, Abilene area.

Good for him...

Nice, that way maybe the Pats might give my man Oscar Lua a shot.

Nice, that way maybe the Pats might give my man Oscar Lua a shot.

You tell YourManOscar
to bite hard into this offseason's work.

He's getting his shot, alright.
But many have tried and few have stuck.

Not a huge big deal to me as he obviously wasn't a perfect fit. His productivity, and having played for Saban, interested me though.

I Agree BF ... for a deal I liked him in that he would have been situational... but only for a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back