Status
Not open for further replies.

tobias funke

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Does anyone really care?

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/02/23/zach-goes-home/

ZACH GOES HOME
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

After receiving offers from the Patriots and the Saints in the past few days, linebacker Zach Thomas has opted to join a team that plays in his home state.

Per a league source, Thomas has agreed to terms with the Dallas Cowboys.
He’s a Texas native, and played college football at Texas Tech.

It’s a multi-year deal. No further details are available at this time.

Thomas was a fifth-round draft pick of the Dolphins in 1996. He spent twelve years in Miami.

DETAILS ON THOMAS DEAL
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2008, 12:09 p.m.

A league source tells us that the contract that eventually will be signed by linebacker Zach Thomas with the Cowboys carries a $1 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2008. Thomas also can earn up to $1 million in incentives.

Though it’s technically a multi-year deal, the structure will make it essentially a one-year relationship.

Per the source, Thomas was very intrigued by the offers to join the Patriots and the Saints. In the end, though, he decided to return to his home state of Texas. Another factor was his belief that he will be a good fit within the Dallas defense.

Thomas played in only five games last season due to a couple of concussions. It remains to be seen whether these problems will return for him in 2008.

Cheaper than I expected.

Last edited:
Re: Zach Thomas to Cowboys.

this is good news. Now i don't have to read about him anymore.

Or his oversized head.

lol

i edited the first post pride

as of 5 hours ago he was still yet to meet the cowboys.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Free-agent linebacker Zach Thomas is in town and the Cowboys are expected to meet with him and his agent Drew Rosenhaus, probably today at some point.

A source said that Thomas is leaning to the Cowboys and would prefer to sign with them.

Thomas visited and was offered contracts by New Orleans and New England. It is believed the Saints will be able to guarantee Thomas more money and a starting job.

When asked how Thomas would fit on a roster that features inside linebackers Akin Ayodele, Bradie James and Kevin Burnett, Cowboys ' coach Wade Phillips said, "We're just looking for good players."
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/490408.html

I'll only be disappointed if it's a cheap deal. Otherwise we probably should be happy that our FO still has its head on its shoulders.

i'd be wary of a guy coming off injuries who parcells didn't think could contribute to a 1-15 team

but it's a nice story that he's going home

i am hhoping michael turner gets to go home to chicago

perhaps we may go younger ;-)

This is good news....

Now he can miss 10 games for them instead of us....

Not a huge big deal to me as he obviously wasn't a perfect fit. His productivity, and having played for Saban, interested me though.

who parcells didn't think could contribute to a 1-15 team

this isn't really an accurate statement. parcells had to deal with an existing contract and also the conventional wisdom would suggest that the parting was mutual.

i don't think zach thomas wants to be part of a rebuilding effort... or complete overhaul of a team at this point in his career.

he may not be the force he once was but suggesting that parcells considers him useless is not close to the truth.

this isn't really an accurate statement. parcells had to deal with an existing contract and also the conventional wisdom would suggest that the parting was mutual.

i don't think zach thomas wants to be part of a rebuilding effort... or complete overhaul of a team at this point in his career.

he may not be the force he once was but suggesting that parcells considers him useless is not close to the truth.
it is probably semi like the donnie edwards situation in sd after the 06 season...but not quite to that extent.

maybe parcells doesn't hate zach, or even feel he can't contribute, maybe he just wants to get younger.

remember donnie going back to kc in 07, in his made to order cover 2 , he looked like crap when i watched him play

maybe it will be different for thomas, he's going to a 3-4 , and i believe he's only got one year of 3-4 experience, last year

DETAILS ON THOMAS DEAL
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2008, 12:09 p.m.

A league source tells us that the contract that eventually will be signed by linebacker Zach Thomas with the Cowboys carries a $1 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2008. Thomas also can earn up to $1 million in incentives.

Though it’s technically a multi-year deal, the structure will make it essentially a one-year relationship.

Per the source, Thomas was very intrigued by the offers to join the Patriots and the Saints. In the end, though, he decided to return to his home state of Texas. Another factor was his belief that he will be a good fit within the Dallas defense.

Thomas played in only five games last season due to a couple of concussions. It remains to be seen whether these problems will return for him in 2008.

Cheaper than I expected.

LMAO, whatever. If he was signed some of you would be happy. He wasn't the ideal fit due to size, but I think he could have worked here. Sucks they didn't get a guy like that, but they still have enough choices to make a move.

If we got him for that deal I wouldn't be upset at all. Like I said, I didn't think it would be that cheap.

Seriously though when I heard "the Saints are the new favorite" I realized the guy has played in great weather for 12 years. How many guys, especially on defense, are going to give that up at his age?

This is good news....

Now he can miss 10 games for them instead of us....

Last year was the first in which Thomas missed any substantial time and it was due to a concussion from a car accident.

I am sure being form Texas had a lot to do with his decision. This is good news imo. We need some young LB's to start grooming.

I am sure being form Texas had a lot to do with his decision. This is good news imo. We need some young LB's to start grooming.

Uh, we would need young LBs to groom whether we signed Zach or not. Zach coming here would not prevented us from bringing young LBs into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes