PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your're Drafted in the 17th Round in 2006.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
You're drafted in the 17th round in 2006. You come to the bigs and you have 2 doubles your 2nd game and you homer in your 3rd. Josh Reddick ... 22 year old outfielder who has moved to #2 in the list at www.soxprospects.com/ .

Josh Reddick | SoxProspects.com
Scouting Report: Josh Reddick is a naturally-gifted athlete that can put the bat on the ball. He's a contact hitter with a quick bat and very good present power.

An aggressive hitter at the plate, he needs to improve his plate discipline. He swings at a lot of balls off the plate, and he can also get pull-happy on occasion. Needs to work on hitting to all fields. Has shown some resistance to the Sox disciplined approach, but his pitch recognition and approach have improved after some seasoning.

His frame is athletic and lean, with some potential to fill out. If he adds strength to his wiry frame, there's not much limit to his power potential. In the field, Reddick has above average range to go along with excellent arm strength and outstanding accuracy.

Great hustle, always goes all out. Can play all three OF positions well, probably best suited for right field. However, some scouts have commented that Reddick has the range to be a full time major league centerfielder.

I was researching him last night ... pretty cool story. One amazing thing is even though he was drafted in the 17th round he received a $140,000 signing bonus which is very large for that round. This kid has the inside track on being JD Drew's backup and eventuall replacement ... pretty cool. He's compared to Mike Greenwell.

Last edited:
I wonder how his presence will effect the likelihood of resigning Bay.

Obviously he is no replacement for Bay...but he's has to be a factor in the equation.

Last edited:
Was at Saturday and Sunday's games, he was amazing. He hit the 2 doubles saturday the homer sunday, and sunday he made 2 or 3 outs and I am serious in that every out he made was hit to the warning track. He has some serious pop to his bat, fast, great contact, patient, good fielder, THIS KID IS THE REAL DEAL. In my opinion from the weekend he could be a good starter on the team when Drew leaves.

I wonder how his presence will effect the likelihood of resigning Bay.

Obviously he is no replacement for Bay...but he's has to be a factor in the equation.

he's not ready to replace bay, but he's one of the top prospects in the system... and hes a natural center fielder.

Hits well with all power to all fields, plays fantastic defense, and has a cannon.

he's not ready to replace bay, but he's one of the top prospects in the system... and hes a natural center fielder.

Hits well with all power to all fields, plays fantastic defense, and has a cannon.

In reality he could replace any of our current 3 outfielders even Jacoby who lets not forget has an agent named Scott Boras. I'd love to see the kid stay ... but I've had my doubts about that for a while now. We have several outfielders in the pipeline and I think Bay ends up staying and jacoby and JD end up packing.

In reality he could replace any of our current 3 outfielders even Jacoby who lets not forget has an agent named Scott Boras. I'd love to see the kid stay ... but I've had my doubts about that for a while now. We have several outfielders in the pipeline and I think Bay ends up staying and jacoby and JD end up packing.

They have Drew under contract until 2011 but club may void contract for 2010 or 2011 if he re-injured his shoulder...

Ellsbury is arbitration eligible until 2013.

I can see him replacing Drew evenutally but not Ellsbury unless Ellsbury is traded.

They have Drew under contract until 2011 but club may void contract for 2010 or 2011 if he re-injured his shoulder...

Ellsbury is arbitration eligible until 2013.

I can see him replacing Drew evenutally but not Ellsbury unless Ellsbury is traded.

That's what I am expecting ... Jacoby to be traded ... but we're getting some great ball from him so I'm happy. I don't think the abitration process will go well ... Sox are pretty much sick of Boras.

That's what I am expecting ... Jacoby to be traded ... but we're getting some great ball from him so I'm happy. I don't think the abitration process will go well ... Sox are pretty much sick of Boras.

He's an a-hole but they may just avoid the problem like they had with Papelbon and extend him earlier for cheaper money before Boras gets huge dollar signs in his eyes.

I can't believe you guys are actually talking about trading jacoby. You don't get guys that can bat .300 steal 50 bases consistently and play the type of defense he can. I wouldn't trade him at all. Plus he is young. When he matures he will be one of the top CF's in the league.

I can't believe you guys are actually talking about trading jacoby. You don't get guys that can bat .300 steal 50 bases consistently and play the type of defense he can. I wouldn't trade him at all. Plus he is young. When he matures he will be one of the top CF's in the league.

No, you don't. Unfortunately, hitting .300 doesn't really mean a whole lot when you can't get your OBP above .350, and have no power.

I like Jacoby, but if you can get a kid to play center, and put up an .850+ OPS, thats a HUGE advantage, and Jacoby will probably never do that.

No, you don't. Unfortunately, hitting .300 doesn't really mean a whole lot when you can't get your OBP above .350, and have no power.

I like Jacoby, but if you can get a kid to play center, and put up an .850+ OPS, thats a HUGE advantage, and Jacoby will probably never do that.

Easy now. Currently his OBP is .355. Cut the kid some slack, it's only his second year in the league. The OBP will rise as his career goes on.

Btw, a CF'er who plays elite defense with an .850+ OPS is extremely rare. Guys who do that for a career have a shot at the Hall of Fame.

Easy now. Currently his OBP is .355. Cut the kid some slack, it's only his second year in the league. The OBP will rise as his career goes on.

Btw, a CF'er who plays elite defense with an .850+ OPS is extremely rare. Guys who do that for a career have a shot at the Hall of Fame.

My opinion of what will happen with Jacoby has more to do wth his agent and less to do with his numbers. I love how the kid plays ... it's just the Boras thing IMO. I think he'll be traded before Boras gains any leverage ... but that's a few years away.

Last edited:
Out of all of the outfielders, I'd be happiest for Drew to be traded away first. 14 big ones for his production isn't cost effective in my opinion.

Out of all of the outfielders, I'd be happiest for Drew to be traded away first. 14 big ones for his production isn't cost effective in my opinion.

Never going to happen. Maybe if he's in his last year at the deadline struggling badly and the Sox eat most of the money.

Never going to happen. Maybe if he's in his last year at the deadline struggling badly and the Sox eat most of the money.
Probably not, but the money hasn't matched the production.. for some time now.

Probably not, but the money hasn't matched the production.. for some time now.

That's not entirely true. Sure, his first year was awful but last year he was actually worth $18.6 million. This year he isn't quite worth the $14 but not way off.

That's not entirely true. Sure, his first year was awful but last year he was actually worth $18.6 million. This year he isn't quite worth the $14 but not way off.
Come on Whiskey.. you and I both know sports is about the "what have you done for me lately" mentality :p

Completely agree, but saying hes great because he hits .300 is silly. OBP is more important than BA, especially with a leadoff hitter.

He's been worth $9M so far, and we've played what, 65% of the season?

Thats ridiculous.

Drew is worth +15 Runs with his bat, and +10 with his glove.

Bay is worth +30 runs with his bat, and -22 with his glove.

Drew is the significantly better corner outfielder. Bay would be an elite player, if he didn't have to play defense.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back