PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You're as Good as Your Last Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRazor

Banned
Reaction score
I was glancing over a few forums after the Jacksonville game to try and gauge what the overall feeling was about this game, and our team. I was astounded by some of things that people were writing, from our suspect defense to our less than stellar offense! I came across a post game quote from the Jaguars' rookie safety, and it proved to me that there are either far too many fans, and players, who don't appreciate football for the game itself, or there is so much jealousy and hatred that it consumes all logical thought.

Here is the quote, that was echoed by many fans outside of the New England area:

"It was a checkdown game, anybody can go 26-of-28 in a dump down game. He ain't all that,... he's just all right"
~Reggie Nelson, Jacksonville Jaguars rookie safety, referring to Tom Brady's performance

A checkdown pass is when the quarterback attempts to complete a short, accurate pass to a running back or tight end as a last option when the wide receivers are covered. The term means that the quarterback has "checked down" his list of receivers. For this reason, the ability to complete checkdown passes, while not as dramatic as longer completions, is often seen as a key sign of an effective and efficient quarterback.

Tom Brady threw 26 out of 28 passes, 3 TD's, and no interceptions to 8 different receivers, and ended up with a 92.9 completion percentage, not only the highest completion percentage in playoff history, but the highest percentage in any game EVER played in the history of the NFL.
(If anybody could do that its pretty ironic that no one ever has in all the years the NFL has been around)

Oh, and less than 1/3 of his passes were "checkdowns", there were also touchdown passes, downfield possesion passes,and screen plays as well, which are not a last resort "checkdown", these are scripted plays that are meant to be executed in just that fashion. Brady also managed to throw in a, perfectly executed, "statue of liberty" play action pass for a TD, and on the nights only WR reverse play, Brady threw a block that allowed his receiver to gain a first down.

Lets see, what else did he accomplish, besides almost throwing a flawless game.

1) Tied Dan Marino, 2nd, for the NFL's longest consecutive playoff games with a TD pass-13

2) Tied troy Aikmen, 7th, for the NFL's Alltime Playoff TD Pass Record- 23

(records he will surely beat next week)

In summary, for all the fans, and I use that term loosely, AND athletes who cannot see what was so special about this night with their own eyes, there is your answer^.

I am willing to assume, that these same people are the ones that say Brady was simply a system quarterback who "dinked and dunked", and couldn't put up Manning like numbers, and then they decried the 3 superbowl victories he orchestrated, citing that they were only won by 3 point field goals, and that when he finally got top notch receivers, and was blowing teams out he was classlessly running up the score, and then when he won the MVP it was not by his own merit, it should have gone to Randy Moss, and now, after a tough divisional win, where the team utilized all their weapons..... all he does is throw checkdowns?

See how contradictory that sounds?

16-0 ( The BEST season the NFL has EVER seen)
50 TD's (The Most TD's a QB has EVER thrown in a season )
92.9 completion % (the BEST game a QB EVER threw)

Wake the **** up!!! He is exactly "all that" ^

Oh, and the defense:

Jaguars Total yards rushing: 80

Not only did the Patriots take away their number one strength, but what makes this stat even more impressive is that of the 22 1st downs the Jaguars had racked up that evening, only 4 of those 1st downs were made rushing, and their 3rd down efficiency was a measly 4-10-40%.

This was the game plan: Take the run away, make Jacksonville try to win by passing.

Not only did the Patriots accomplish this, (Fred Taylor 13 attempts for 47 yards and a 3.6 avg, Maurice Jones-Drew 6 attempts for 19 yards and a 3.2 avg) but pressured their QB constantly sacking him once for 8 yards and forcing a fumble on that play, that the Pats would recover.

Against the pass:

The Jags QB, David Garrard, played a very good game, 22-33-278-2Td's-1 Int, his passes were precise and thrown with just the right touch at the right times. That being said, The Patriots being committed to the run, and pressuring Garrard, left the intermediate, and short routes open, and vulnerable, again this was not a coincidence, this was their game plan, and most, if not all, of the deep passes completed resulted from broken down plays, with Garrard on the run, a traditional pocket passer would have been sacked all night. Kudos to Garrard, and his legs, he single handedly kept the Jags post season dream alive, if only temporarily.

The Patriots defensive backs deflected 4 passes, one in the end zone by Rodney Harrison that SHOULD have been an interception, and they had one clutch, game ending, interception late in the game, by none other than Harrison.

The defense would wind up winning the battle of:
turnovers, 2-0(1 INT 1 FR)
deflections 4-0
fumbles 2-0
hurries 8-2

Not to mention, but I will:

The game was NOT as close as it looked.

The first Jaguar TD of the night should have been challenged by the Patriots, it was clearly a sack, and Garrard's knee was clearly down.

After letting up 2 touchdowns in the 1st half, Jacksonville was shut down defensively the rest of the evening, having to settle for two field goals.

The game could have easily been 31-9

The Patriots defense is nasty, dont let any haters convince you otherwise, dont let your eyes fool you either, sometimes things appear to be alot different then what they actually are

Last edited:
Re: Your Good as Your Last Game

if anyone can do it, then why doesnt everyone do it?

people need to get off the hatertrain.

I've already decided that next season I'm just watching the games, the media on iTunes (minus the four hours a day of podcasts... who listens to that?), and the WEEI stuff that doesn't involve the soccer moms. No more PFT, NFL Network, or other nonsense coverage. I realize there is money to be made but I think brain cells are worth more in the long run.

I've already decided that next season I'm just watching the games, the media on iTunes (minus the four hours a day of podcasts... who listens to that?), and the WEEI stuff that doesn't involve the soccer moms. No more PFT, NFL Network, or other nonsense coverage. I realize there is money to be made but I think brain cells are worth more in the long run.
i agree with the itunes crap and nfl network reruns... why dont you like the stuff on PatsFan Talk.com though?

Last edited:

So you are saying we will kill the Chargers :)

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing