Your short list

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Give me your first-round short list.

Guidelines:

(1) You can only have three players on the list, in order of preference.
(2) You have to have a realistic prospect of landing them in the first round. Indicate whether you're willing to trade up for the player, and how high you're willing to go.
(3) Remember, assume you'll only get one of the three players.

#1 Lendale White
At this point, White would have the best overall value for the pick if he fell to us. White proved himself at USC and performed well at the Rose Bowl. He would have the benefit of not being pressed into a starting role immediately, instead being able to learn from Dillon for his first year. With the recent signings of Chester Taylor by the Vikings and Edge by Arizona, the only team that is likely draft White is Baltimore, who still can re-sign Jamal Lewis or draft DeAngelo Williams. I would not trade up for White, however, because other needs could be addressed with this pick.

#2 Manny Lawson
Lawson was ranked as a first-round prospect even before the combine, where he wowed everyone with a 4.43 40-yard dash. Lawson would either train behind McGinest, if we resign him, or start in his place if we don't. Lawson has great size for the elephant position (6'5", 240) and appears to have the physical skills to fit the position. However, I would not trade up for Lawson because players at the same position could be availabe at #21 (i.e. Chad Greenway) or later in the draft (i.e. Stanley McClover)

#3 Sinorice Moss, Miami
Moss is very similar to his brother Santana: he is fast, agile, small and has huge upside. We have a major void at WR right now (Branch, Bethel, Childress) and need someone who can immediately step in at no less than a #3 role. I am confident that Moss could do exactly that. However, we would trade down to make this pick, possibly with Indy, who might want a chance at DeAngelo Williams (if he falls) or Lawrence Maroney; perhaps we would get their 3rd or 4th rounder in the trade. If someone picks Moss during this time by a bad stroke of luck, we can take Chad Jackson (Florida). One of the two players will likely be there.

Last edited:
My 1st round short list:

Bobby Carpenter: Perfect fit for the patriots. Smart, tough plays inside and outside linebacker, good clean-cut solid citizen. Trade up to 18 if neccesary.

Richard Marshall: Solid DB, good tackler, special teams demon, Patriots love Fresno State/ Pat Hill players.... Trade up to 25-28 range.

Lendale White: if he falls to 21 they grab him. Corey Dillon is approaching the RB wall. 1 year left to be a force in the NFL 2 tops. Lendale White is solid, powerful runner. Will need a season to learn to pick up blitz' and hone recieving skills.
:rocker: :

1a. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa. I think he has a chance of falling to #21 as his measurables have been a little disappointing. Greenway is a smart, instinctive, experienced LB who played for Kirk Ferentz in Iowa. After Hawk, probably the surest thing in a deep LB class.

1b. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State. Like DeMarcus Ware last year, Lawson looks tailor-made for the 3-4 OLB position. 6'6" 240, with speed and quickness just a smidgen behind Deion Branch. Lawson has some learning to do, but unlike many tweeners he has played some LB.

I can't imagine that both of these players will be available at #21, but I think it's at least 50-50 that one of them will be. What's more, I see a pretty significant dropoff after these two players. There should be some good RBs available, but the RB class is deep and there's no urgency there. Ditto for tight ends and offensive tackles and safeties. I don't like any WR in the 1st. I'd be content with CB Richard Marshall or LB Bobby Carpenter. But on balance, I'd look to trade a up couple of slots for Lawson or Greenway, or trade down and maneuver to walk away with 2 of these players by the end of the 2nd: Marshall, Carpenter, Kam Wimbley, Daryn Colledge, Joseph Addai.

1a. Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State. Extremely raw a la Ellis Hobbs, but has ALL the physical tool to turn into a Champ Bailey, Chris McCalister, Deion Sanders :D, etc., once in a lifetime player.

1b. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State. Physical Specimen, doubtful he'll be there at 21, but he was built for the 3-4.

1c. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota. Lendale White is fat, DeAngelo Williams is oft-injured, and has a lot of thread on his tires. Maroney is built is the mold of Clinton Portis, and was in my eyes, the most patient runner in NCAA last season. He's 5'11 and 217, for comparison purposes Portis is 5'11 212.

mavfan2390 said:
1a. Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State. Extremely raw a la Ellis Hobbs, but has ALL the physical tool to turn into a Champ Bailey, Chris McCalister, Deion Sanders :D, etc., once in a lifetime player.

1b. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State. Physical Specimen, doubtful he'll be there at 21, but he was built for the 3-4.

1c. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota. Lendale White is fat, DeAngelo Williams is oft-injured, and has a lot of thread on his tires. Maroney is built is the mold of Clinton Portis, and was in my eyes, the most patient runner in NCAA last season. He's 5'11 and 217, for comparison purposes Portis is 5'11 212.

At least Ellis started at CB in college. Cromartie didn't. At least that I can find.

I agree with Lawson, but not Maroney. BTW, I don't believe that Portis clocked in at 4.55. I believe that Portis was in the 4.4 range. Not that it means much. However, the knock on Maroney is his route running, his ability to run between the tackles, and his blocking ability. Sounds like a one dimensional back to me. Not really what the Pats look for in a #1 RB.

Believe we go LB with #21 and my order of preference is:
Lawson - do not think he will be available.
Greenway - if he falls out of favor.
Carpenter - should be there and it all depends on Vrables recommendation.
Don't believe we will trade up for anyone but good possibility we trade down.

1). Trade down to the top of the second, with a 4th tossed in.
2). Trade down to the higher part of the second with a 4th tossed in.
3). Trade down to the middle of the second with a 3rd tossed in.

Does anyone else here think that there is only about 1/2 of a first round of talent in this draft, and the bottom half is comprised of what could be determined to be of equal value to the second rounders, but with first round contracts?

shirtsleeve said:

Does anyone else here think that there is only about 1/2 of a first round of talent in this draft, and the bottom half is comprised of what could be determined to be of equal value to the second rounders, but with first round contracts?

I'm eager to see how the cognoscenti reply!

shirtsleeve said:

i agree with the fact that the talent pool at the bottom half of first rd is about same as top of second rd

but ur wrong with the trade
check out a draft value chart and u'll see if we trade into early second round that we will get an early third back as well

what ive been proposing is trade 21 for an early second and early third
then trade one of the early 3's and our late 3 for another early 2nd

so we would have two early 2's and a mid-late 2 and an early 3 left

bb has always said his fav round is the second
and we could end up with three of the following: ot marcus mcneil, wr martin nance, rb joseph addai, cb richard marshall, lb kam wimbley, etc

Darryl Tapp, Eric Winston, Montavius Stanley

patsfan55 said:
i agree with the fact that the talent pool at the bottom half of first rd is about same as top of second rd
but ur wrong with the trade
check out a draft value chart and u'll see if we trade into early second round that we will get an early third back as well

what ive been proposing is trade 21 for an early second and early third
then trade one of the early 3's and our late 3 for another early 2nd
so we would have two early 2's and a mid-late 2 and an early 3 left
bb has always said his fav round is the second
and we could end up with three of the following: ot marcus mcneil, wr martin nance, rb joseph addai, cb richard marshall, lb kam wimbley, etc
Thats a good trade, if you can't make that one here is a back-up plan:
We trade our #1 (800) for the Texans two 3rd's (265 & 260)
and switch positions in the second round Texans (580) - Pats (380)
Math is 800 for 725.
We get a nice selection at #33 and just mine the gold that falls through the cracks with four picks in the 3rd. On day two with two 4ths we just sweep things up...............

Bobby Carpenter, Chad Greenway, and nervously Len-Dale White if he falls to #21.

As far as trades are concerned, I won't get into that. It takes more than one team willing to trade. Trades are ususally done just before a pick, then you know what player the other team really want or what player you really want is still on the board.

No-one who I expect to be there is knocking me on my butt right now.

I would say Santonio Holmes but it sounds like his personality has some Terri Glenn in it. Or Chad Jackson but some Gator fan said he doesn't fit the Patriots' profile.

Gut feeling is Belichick might like a little more speed at RB than Dillon / White but I just don't see a first round RB.

I figure Lawson will be gone. Greenway could be there and Bobby Carpenter will be. Marshall I like. Eric Winston but OL is deep.

Honestly, I'm clueless right now.

But if I have to list three I'll say :

Winston
Marshall
Maroney

If they decide to trade up...

1) Manny Lawson: His workout, production, and character has him headed towards a high selection. Two months ago he would've been available at #21. Unfortunately for the Patriots, teams picking before #21 have "discovered" him. He would be the perfect heir to Willie McGinest...

2) Vernon "Duke" Davis: I've been watching him for 3 years. Best receiver in the draft...by far. He transcends the TE position. He's good enough to probably make it at WR...

If they stay at #21:

1) Sinorice Moss: I don't care about his measurables. The team is in need of some quality receivers. Moss is a good one. He's a true home run threat with good hands...

2) Bobby Carpenter: Versitile, athletic, and productive. Would look good teaming with Vrabel and Bruschi...

3) Marcus McNeill: Depending on what happens with the rest of FA, OL could be as big of a need as any for the Patriots. McNeill would be a steal at #21...

If they trade down to late first/early second round...

1) D'Qwell Jackson: This guy is a BB/Pioli type of player all the way. Productive, smart, athletic, natural leader. Earned the nickname Qwella-Monster for a reason...

2) Max Jean-Gilles: Would team with Mankins and Koppen to form one hell of an interior line. Good value pick...

3) Antonio Cromartie: The knee is a major concern. Gamble on greatness...

Last edited:
1. Richard Marshall or Jason Allen, may be able to trade down in 1st for them.

2. Kam. Wimbley, Mark Anderson of Alabama, or Chris GoCong of Cal Poly for LBs

3. RBs D'Arrius Howard, Arkansas, PJ Pope Bowling Green, Jerious Norwood MState. Jerious Norwood is a little on small side.

4. WR Two or three of Jennings W. Michigan, Brandon Marshall C. Florida, Mike Haas Oregon State, Martin Nance

5. OL Setterstrom Minnesota, or other

6. S Bernard Pollard or Keith Ellison (OLB) or Jon Alston or James Anderson (VT)

Ok, no trades to think about, here goes.
By needs/value:
Lawson
Greenway
Marshall

Now for the Mankins shocker. Jon Alston in the first. Guy will be just as good as Huff, but played OLB in college. Put him next to Rodney, Move Gino to corner and your secondary is set.

shirtsleeve said:
Ok, no trades to think about, here goes.
By needs/value:
Lawson
Greenway
Marshall

Those would be my three as well, unless someone falls unexpectedly to us like Wilfork did, ( and I still wouldn't take a RB not named Bush)

I am 100% for trading down in the first round, and maybe even multiple times and as far down into the second round, if need be, to around the 40s.

However if I can not trade down I would look to CB. Hill, Joseph or Marshall.

I realize that thus far since the end of the season we have lost Chatham, Willie and now C Brown from the LB corp. And given the age of those left, we really need to replenish this position, but there are enough 'tweeners with height in this draft to secure a future OLB a little later in the draft.
At ILB the idea of Vrabel moving back to the outside scares me half to death because that means Beisel starts.

Short List

I would trade up a few spots for:
Huff or Jimmy Williams

Staying at #21

1. Manny Lawson (has to slip past Clev)
2. Tye Hill
3. Chad Greenway

I think free agency has given us a better chance at players slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back