PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your reaction if Drew Bledsoe win a Super Bowl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
Drew or me?

Regardless, I guess I can take my bow or do a victory lap.

Whenever someone need resort to name calling in any debate, they've all but admitted they've lost.

Read your previous post. You asked a question and I responded.
Do try to keep up.

EDIT
Ah - I notice that since I responded you edited your post thereby further confusing yourself.

The response was to what WAS your last sentence asking the Rick Mirer question.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Flutie received the sendoff he did from Belichick as well as Kraft because they both recognize his career as a football player and respect him for making the very most of his talent against almost insurmountable odds. The next time Drew Bledsoe does that will be the first time.

They wouldn't have made anything of Doug retiring other than to comment in passing had he not retired as a Patriot, but they also brought him here because they respected his talent and work ethic and passion for the game of football - not because of Boston PR. In fact Belichick had been hoping to bring him here in 2003 or 2004 had SD not decided they weren't ready to let him go. Belichick could give a hoot about feel good PR stunts when it comes to team matters. His admiration for Doug as a football player is genuine, hard as that is for some to acknowledge, and that is why he attended and spoke fairly eloquently.

I don't think he feels that way about Drew, although I'm sure he would not stand in the way of a retirement signing/announcement and would say the gracious things. Just not gonna happen because Bledsoe quietly burned that bridge in late 2001 and in 2002 when he tried to undermine BB quietly in the meeting rooms and in the press, failed to attend the parade or come to the white house and basically told them to mail the ring. He essentially left here under the same phony guise as in Buffalo, that "they" were not going to give him a chance to compete....it's always somebody elses fault when things don't go Drew's way.

He had 9 years to compete for the job here, and three in Buffalo, and now he's in Dallas because they didn't have anyone capable of competing and Tuna is tired of even looking.

And I never said I wished we picked Mirer - rather our italian friend was gushing gratitude that we hadn't, and IMO for all we know it would have been at worst a wash. It was Bill Walsh (and some say Parcells at one point concurred) who thought Mirer was the #1 choice. He went to a lousy situation and after a better start he went into a decline. Maybe with Parcells he would have blossomed. Maybe if he went to Seattle at #2 Drew would have suffered much the same fate as Mirer. Drew had Parcells and company, and by his own revisionist admission after Tuna left Drew's career went into decline.

Actually Mo, you said that In Your Opinion you thought we'd have an additional Lombardi with Mirer. That sounds a lot like a suggestion that Mirer is a better QB than Bledsoe...and I think you're a bit out on a limb on that one.

No doubt very few athletes would have reserved the sendoff that Flutie got, but its clear his hometown roots were one reason for it.

But MTB's attempt to use Flutie's retirement sendoff as proof positive that Patriots fans resent Bledsoe just defies logic.

Last edited:
PatsWickedPissah said:
Read your previous post. You asked a question and I responded.
Do try to keep up.

EDIT
Ah - I notice that since I responded you edited your post thereby further confusing yourself.

The response was to what WAS your last sentence asking the Rick Mirer question.

I'm sure you can address everyone's confusion by explaining who you were calling a "cretin" as it might have helped had you quoted the question you were responding to.

Is "cretin" what one would call someone who thinks Mirer is better than Bledsoe?

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
But MTB's attempt to use Flutie's retirement sendoff as proof positive that Patriots fans resent Bledsoe just defies logic.

Joe, I'd given up on this thread because it's clear that difference of opinion had crossed the line into argument.

But I can't leave it with you misrepresenting me completely -- again.

My reference to Flutie's retirement was intended to illustrate how the Patriots organisation (and Bill Belichick in particular) honors and values someone who has committed themselves to the franchise to the full extent of their ability, whatever that is.

That point has nothing whatsoever to do with what the fans' attitude towards Bledsoe was at that time or is now.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
I'm sure you can address everyone's confusion by explaining who you were calling a "cretin" as it might have helped had you quoted the question you were responding to.

Is "cretin" what one would call someone who thinks Mirer is better than Bledsoe?

I think YOU'RE the one who's confused. I'm not surprised.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I think YOU'RE the one who's confused. I'm not surprised.

Really? Well, I guess it doens't really matter WHO you are calling a "cretin" - that's really just inapporpriate.

You really shouldn't have to go so far as insulting people in a response, whether it was me, MoLewisRocks, or anyone else. Do try to take the high road in the future.

Mike the Brit said:
Joe, I'd given up on this thread because it's clear that difference of opinion had crossed the line into argument.

But I can't leave it with you misrepresenting me completely -- again.

My reference to Flutie's retirement was intended to illustrate how the Patriots organisation (and Bill Belichick in particular) honors and values someone who has committed themselves to the franchise to the full extent of their ability, whatever that is.

That point has nothing whatsoever to do with what the fans' attitude towards Bledsoe was at that time or is now.

Mike - you might do well to go back and review the thread on Flutie's retirement, as well as Flutie's stats while with the Patriots as that may help you better understand why Flutie is an icon here.

Doug Flutie's "commitment to the franchise" was not why he was being honored. He was being honored because he is FROM Boston and had a very good NFL career when everyone said he was too short, too weak, etc...

Flutie's "commitment to the franchise" as a 2nd string QB - no matter how great it was, wouldn't result in that type of an event.

Cretin Hop...The Ramones

"4,5,6,7...all good cretins go to heaven"

Hey Mike the Brit...when I read your posts I imagine you speaking with an English accent...like Michael Caine....cool

Drew was good at the Statue of Liberty play...sorry...best I can do

Drew was a HUGE, HUGE part of this organization. He helped turn the team around, and put the Patriots on the map in this area. Before he was here, I remember not being able to watch some of the games on TV because tickets weren't selling out. Now there's a paid waiting list of eleventy billion people (which was still large before Brady).

And don't forget the work Drew and teammates did to get local support from Foxboro townspeople for the new stadium. If Drew wins a super bowl, we should all be happy for him, as long as it isn't against the Patriots.

My Accent

Joker said:
Hey Mike the Brit...when I read your posts I imagine you speaking with an English accent...like Michael Caine....cool

Michael Caine?!!? :rofl:

On a good day: Hugh Laurie. On a bad day? Tony Blair. Kermit the Frog ...

JoeSixPat said:
Really? Well, I guess it doens't really matter WHO (WHOM) you are calling a "cretin" - that's really just inapporpriate.

You really shouldn't have to go so far as insulting people in a response, whether it was me, MoLewisRocks, or anyone else. Do try to take the high road in the future.

Corrected for cretinism!

What about Plunket

TNPatsFan said:
I've always been a huge Drew fan. He was the best QB in team history until Brady came along.
--- cut ---
Was he? Or was Plunket the better QB of the two? My recollection of Plunket's play is vague, but he did take Oakland to one SB (or was it two) victories. Plunket was poorly supported in Foxboro, but a very good QB.

I also have always thought of Drew as a "class act" with extraordinaly talent.

JoeSixPat said:
Actually Mo, you said that In Your Opinion you thought we'd have an additional Lombardi with Mirer. That sounds a lot like a suggestion that Mirer is a better QB than Bledsoe...and I think you're a bit out on a limb on that one.

No doubt very few athletes would have reserved the sendoff that Flutie got, but its clear his hometown roots were one reason for it.

Actually Joe no I didn't. As with Mike you are misrepresenting what I said because you disagree with my assessment and recollection of the Bledsoe years. What I said and what it was in response to is:

italianpatthepatriot said:
very nice that we did not took Rick Mirer over Drew Bledsoe otherwise...

Drew imho was and is a great men and a very good qb.

we should never forget a game against MIN (trailing 20-0...) with 26-20 victory : 45 complete passes on 70 attempts (probably an NFL record ?).
at 22 years he went to the Pro Bowl and he sent the Patriots to the play-offs after several bad bad years and he lead in 1996 to the Super Bowl at only 24 years.

probably if Bill Parcells was more involved on the game we should have won it

MoLewisrocks said:
Otherwise what? The 1993 Rookie of the Year might have blossomed here under HOF coaching and competent ownership into what Bill Walsh predicted he'd be - the next Montana - instead of gradually floundering in far less than optimum circumstances in Seattle. He had a better QB rating than Bledsoe in two of their first three seasons on a team that never did turn it around and whose HC left shortly after him, soon to be followed by an ownership who was trying to move the team to LA finally selling out to Paul Allen.

Heck - we might have 4 or more Lombardis by now.....

PaulNEPats said:
Drew was a HUGE, HUGE part of this organization. He helped turn the team around, and put the Patriots on the map in this area. Before he was here, I remember not being able to watch some of the games on TV because tickets weren't selling out. Now there's a paid waiting list of eleventy billion people (which was still large before Brady).

And don't forget the work Drew and teammates did to get local support from Foxboro townspeople for the new stadium. If Drew wins a super bowl, we should all be happy for him, as long as it isn't against the Patriots.

If we can stop the insults and arguements long enough to re-read what Paul wrote, I think it pretty well sums it up as far as addressing the original question posed.

I also apprecate Drew's contribution to the New England Patriots and wish him well. I would love to see him get another ring, as a starting QB, as long it was not against the NEP.

MoLewisrocks said:
Actually Joe no I didn't. As with Mike you are misrepresenting what I said because you disagree with my assessment and recollection of the Bledsoe years. What I said and what it was in response to is:

If someone said "we might have won more Super Bowls if we had Peyton Manning as a QB rather than Tom Brady" wouldn't you tend to think that person was suggesting that Peyton Manning was a better QB than Tom Brady?

I think most people would... it certainly wouldn't sound like they are suggesting Manning is a WORSE QB than Brady.

So when you say "we might have won more Super Bowls if we had Rick Mirer as a QB rather than Drew Bledsoe" it seems pretty clear that you think Rick Mirer was a better QB than Bledsoe.

I don't blame you for trying to back off that statement now because its a pretty unsupportable notion, but if you really feel that way you're entitled to your opinion.

yeah, but

Tyler Faith said:
Hate to go against the grain here but...Drew is the Ultimate CHOKER! He just can't win the big games and I don't think he ever will. Just my observation. :)
he does have that tendency, tyler, to throw that interception at just the wrong time. i'm glad he's playing elsewhere. but he's still a good guy. he was good enuf to get us to a SB. he brought patriots to respectability.
i wish him the best, every season.

My overall reaction would be total surprise. But he'd hardly be the first non-stellar QB to win a SB.

Pats726 said:
I would mind it at all..didn't he get a ring here????
BUT Dallas?? Parcells..TO??? Hard to cheer for them...
He has one ring...YES???? I would be happy for him if he did...I have NO problem will DB..he is a class guy!! His cast?? I really despise them...Parcells..and TO..I do think he has been a real choker in the big games...but?? Maybe that would change??

Wow! Drew talk can still generate 10 pages here, all these years later.

Count me among those who think he was overrated in New England. He rested upon the laurels of his pedigree: Big, tall, strong arm, No. 1 pick of the draft, "parenting with dignity", blah blah blah.

Those who support him still point to the same things: "classy", "full-page ad", "MINNESOTA GAME!!!", "pin-in-his-finger games", "helped save the franchise". Did I get them all?

To answer the original poster's question, if Drew won a Super Bowl in Dallas, I wouldn't feel happy for him. I don't think he's the classy guy he's been made out to the be. Like others mentioned in this thread, books like "Won For All" and "Patriots Reign" showed Bledsoe wasn't such a good soldier after all. He even went behind Belichick's back up to Robert Kraft. That's not being a team player; that's looking out for number one.

I admit that there were times in '93 and '94 when Bledsoe showed flashes of Marino-like ability. He even was able to make his teammates better in '94 when the team got high production out of the likes of Michael Timpson, Leroy Thompson, Kevin Turner and Vincent Brisby. But then, in '96, when he was surrounded with some nice talent (Martin, Coates, Glenn, Jefferson, Byars, Meggett), he had a lackluster playoffs. If he really was the player he was billed to be, he should have shined then. I think there were many QBs of that period who could have done more with the arsenal the Pats had. Oh but wait, if only Drew had a decent offensive line, right?

And given how close the team came that year, that's when the excuses started with all of us: "Drew's really gonna break through this year. This will be the year it all comes together." And then when different players starting departing the team, that became the excuse ("If only we had a decent running back").

Bledsoe deserves our contempt because despite being extremely well-paid, well-loved by fan and owner alike, and with special privileges not granted to the rest of the team (e.g., pay raises for Drew buddies), he never put team first. He never worked to improve his game (Montana, here I come), he never took the mantel of leadership when it was obviously needed ("Bruce Armstrong is our leader"), and although maintaining a humble demeanor in public, he let it be known through his media kissups that what was wrong with the team was never his fault.

If Bledsoe finally gets it together (some 13 years into his career), plays to the standard we were led to think he personified, and the result of his play leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win, then I'd have to say good for him. But as a Pats fan, I'd think, "Where was that effort ten years ago?"

Snapper said:
Wow! Drew talk can still generate 10 pages here, all these years later.

Count me among those who think he was overrated in New England. He rested upon the laurels of his pedigree: Big, tall, strong arm, No. 1 pick of the draft, "parenting with dignity", blah blah blah.

Those who support him still point to the same things: "classy", "full-page ad", "MINNESOTA GAME!!!", "pin-in-his-finger games", "helped save the franchise". Did I get them all?

To answer the original poster's question, if Drew won a Super Bowl in Dallas, I wouldn't feel happy for him. I don't think he's the classy guy he's been made out to the be. Like others mentioned in this thread, books like "Won For All" and "Patriots Reign" showed Bledsoe wasn't such a good soldier after all. He even went behind Belichick's back up to Robert Kraft. That's not being a team player; that's looking out for number one.

I admit that there were times in '93 and '94 when Bledsoe showed flashes of Marino-like ability. He even was able to make his teammates better in '94 when the team got high production out of the likes of Michael Timpson, Leroy Thompson, Kevin Turner and Vincent Brisby. But then, in '96, when he was surrounded with some nice talent (Martin, Coates, Glenn, Jefferson, Byars, Meggett), he had a lackluster playoffs. If he really was the player he was billed to be, he should have shined then. I think there were many QBs of that period who could have done more with the arsenal the Pats had. Oh but wait, if only Drew had a decent offensive line, right?

And given how close the team came that year, that's when the excuses started with all of us: "Drew's really gonna break through this year. This will be the year it all comes together." And then when different players starting departing the team, that became the excuse ("If only we had a decent running back").

Bledsoe deserves our contempt because despite being extremely well-paid, well-loved by fan and owner alike, and with special privileges not granted to the rest of the team (e.g., pay raises for Drew buddies), he never put team first. He never worked to improve his game (Montana, here I come), he never took the mantel of leadership when it was obviously needed ("Bruce Armstrong is our leader"), and although maintaining a humble demeanor in public, he let it be known through his media kissups that what was wrong with the team was never his fault.

If Bledsoe finally gets it together (some 13 years into his career), plays to the standard we were led to think he personified, and the result of his play leads the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win, then I'd have to say good for him. But as a Pats fan, I'd think, "Where was that effort ten years ago?"

I think most people would agree with you about his failings... he was not a perfect QB by any stretch of the imagination... nor does a team need a perfect QB to win a SB...

But it seems like some go to great lenghts to villify the guy, and in particular point to the fact that he spoke up & stood up for himself with his coaches after coming back from his injury to regain his starting job as evidence that he was effectively some kindof a team cancer.

That's just not the case IMO and I certainly think we were better off with Bledsoe than we would have been with a lot of QBs over his tenure with the Patriots - including Rick Mirer.

fgssand said:
re-read what Paul wrote, I think it pretty well sums it up as far as addressing the original question posed.

I also apprecate Drew's contribution to the New England Patriots and wish him well. I would love to see him get another ring, as a starting QB, as long it was not against the NEP.

and i am with you too fgssand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back