PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your prediction: What position player will the Patriots take in the 1st round?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position player will the Pats take in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So what's your prediction folks? Feel free to name your guy but I thought it would be interesting to let everyone go on record and at least predict what position our #1 draft choice will be

We can then see how close we collectively come to predicting what BB and company will do.

OFFENSE

RB
WR
TE
C
OT
OG

DEFENSE

DE
DT
LB
CB/S

Note: Wait for the poll options as the board will post the message before I have a chance to enter all the positions... Looks like I'm limited to 10 choices as well so I'm going to combine CB & S as an option

For arguments sake, even though we've all heard the over-used phrase "best player available" I think I'll leave off QB as an option - write it in if you actually think we will. Likewise, as much as we need a kicker/competition for Gramatica, I can't see them using a #1 pick at K )

Expect the unexpected... all of BB's pre-draft press conference rhetoric leads one to believe he's not inclined to pick a WR in the 1st round. That's exactly what I would expect him to do if he's seriously considering such a move.

Furthermore draft statistics say that there aren't too many starting caliber WRs in the NFL that were drafted outside of the top two rounds, which should lead one to question whether a 3rd round pick or lower used on a WR is a smart move when there are so many other value player/positions to be had in rounds 3-7.

If Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson slide to #21 I think he'll pull the trigger, and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a trade to move up.

Last edited:
Holmes, and Jackson are tempting, I say Greenway, or Manny Lawson...

JoeSixPat said:
Expect the unexpected... all of BB's pre-draft press conference rhetoric leads one to believe he's not inclined to pick a WR in the 1st round. That's exactly what I would expect him to do if he's seriously considering such a move.

Furthermore draft statistics say that there aren't too many starting caliber WRs in the NFL that were drafted outside of the top two rounds, which should lead one to question whether a 3rd round pick or lower used on a WR is a smart move when there are so many other value player/positions to be had in rounds 3-7.

If Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson slide to #21 I think he'll pull the trigger, and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a trade to move up.
i'm thinking LB, but i'm thinking about Jackson more and more.
"Toys for Tom 2006".

JoeSixPat said:

You got these statistics? Terrel Owens, Joe Horn, David Givens, Troy Brown for starters.

I'm going with a DE "tweener" for our next OLB!

RayClay said:
You got these statistics? Terrel Owens, Joe Horn, David Givens, Troy Brown for starters.

That's 4 - there's an interesting culmination of ALL the other starting #1 & #2 WRs and where they were drafted here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/04/24/ramblings/nfl-draft/3828/

I'd have to think that such statistics are factored into BB's multi-layered ranking system, especially when statistics suggest there's a lot of LB and other position value to be found later in the draft (and how many of OUR LBs are #1 draft choices?) ... but that there is very limited potential to find #1 & #2 WRs in the later rounds.

As is the case with running backs, if you have a need here (WR)you'd better plan on addressing it in round one or with multiple picks in the first four rounds.

Although he's our 2nd best WR right now, Troy isn't a #1 or #2 WR - though he did have a few seasons of #1 numbers.

(credit dryheat44 posted this in the draft forum http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34684)

Jackson, I feel, can oneday be a #1 WR, though I like Holmes as well... so while we certainly need a #2 WR this year if you are going to use a #1 pick I think you use it on someone that is a potential/future #1 WR, who can contribute as a #2 right away.

I know I'm a loan man on an island suggesting that we actually have a need at WR, as so many seem to believe we're well stocked there, but barring a pre-draft trade for a #2 WR I think BB makes a move that both represents value and addresses a need, at a fraction of the cost of what a #1 or #2 WR would cost in free agency.

Last edited:
LOL - I'm bumping this back to the first page...

...seems like these polls where you are on the record with your prediction aren't as popular as the anonymous ones!

They will take Bobby Boucher, LB, SWLA ST.

PATSNUTme said:
They will take Bobby Boucher, LB, SWLA ST.

He can do it!

Why no option for QB?

Seriously!

Tunescribe said:
He can do it!

He's a little old but he's only played two years of college ball so he doesn't have much wear. He decide to stay in school until he finished his freshman year.

I'd participate in the poll, but there was no "I haven't a clue" choice.

I picked LB for the first pick, IMO it will be a guy who projects to OLB and will have been a DE in college.

pats1 said:
Why no option for QB?

Seriously!

JoeSixPat said:
Looks like I'm limited to 10 choices as well so I'm going to combine CB & S as an option

For arguments sake, even though we've all heard the over-used phrase "best player available" I think I'll leave off QB as an option - write it in if you actually think we will. Likewise, as much as we need a kicker/competition for Gramatica, I can't see them using a #1 pick at K )

Seriously, write it in if you actually thik we will take a QB.

I suppose if one of the top three slid back to #21 I would think they would only take a QB for purposes of a worthwhile trade but I think that's Plan D rather than Plan A, B or C.

Last edited:
I voted LB. Allmost 99% of college DE project as either OLBs in our system or they just don't fit at all.

I've been saying for weeks and weeks its gonna be Carpenter at 21...... All of a sudden I get the hunch they're gonna trade up, improve their 2 round position and take Mangold.... I must be on drugs but I was influenced by Digger44. He's almost psychic!:rocker:

JoeSixPat said:
Seriously, write it in if you actually thik we will take a QB.

I suppose if one of the top three slid back to #21 I would think they would only take a QB for purposes of a worthwhile trade but I think that's Plan D rather than Plan A, B or C.

Always expect the unexpected from Beioli. You might think they're bringing A, B, or C, but it's actually Q or X!

I voted OT because i have believed Belichick covets Winston Justice. I don't see him trading up though. So my prediction is:

1- Make a small move-up to get Justice is possible...less than 15.

2 - Grab Ernie Sims if he slides to #21.

3- Grab Eric Winston with a small move down and pick up a 3rd or 4th and then wheel our 1st 3rd for a 2nd next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back