PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your prediction: How many receptions will Ben Watson have this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many receptions will Ben Watson have this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This is a public poll so you're on the record with your predictions for the year.

Everyone's expecting this to be Watson's breakout year, and coincides with a season in which the WR is potentially thin. What's your prediction for how many receptions Watson hauls in this season?

20-30, along the same lines as his production as last year?
30-40?
40-50?
50-60?
60-70?
70-80?
80-90?
90-100?
Dare I submit an "other" option? (For off the charts success or God forbid, the opposite end of the spectrum)

Remember, you're on the record with your prediction. Let's see who nails it at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Might be optimistic ,but.....70-80 is a possibility...

Krugman said:
Might be optimistic ,but.....70-80 is a possibility...

Very optimistic... he's a backup TE. Even in a two TE set 50 catches would be an amazing season. The real question is watch will his YPC and YAC be. I'm guessing he'll avg close to 15 ypc. Pretty good for a TE.

I don't think Tommy plans on his being the backup TE, so I went with 40-50. He will be the new favorite target in camp supplanting Deion "show me the money" Branch. However camp receptions don't always translate. We all know what he can do. We have yet to see him do it consistently. Here's hoping between them they pull in 80+ and I'd guess the lions share of those go to Watson if he establishes early he can be trusted to be where he's supposed to be to catch them, and he does in fact catch them. If Tommy can in fact do his Vulcan mind meld with Ben and I have underestimated I will be thrilled.

MoLewisrocks said:
I don't think Tommy plans on his being the backup TE

I thought this was pretty clear as well. Even in training camp his first season I think we all recognized that Watson seemed like a more natural receiver than Graham. Last year, Watson's "true" rookie season gave us a preview of what's to come.

My prediction is that Watson catches in the mid 60s. I think BB has always intended to feature a TE as a prime receiving threat and has been frustrated that thus far, it hasn't come to be.

Looking at the roster it wouldn't surprise me the least to see Branch and Watson as the #1 & #2 receiving options looked to by Brady.

Just trying to bump this to the first page... seems like most folks are in the 40-70 range

50-60, Ben Coates comfort range. Any more and Grahambo will be upset. 30-40 for him is my guess.

I don't know. But, I do know Bailey is still asking if anyone got the number of that truck. :D

IF he can stay healthy, probably 30-40. I don't see him jumping to 70 or even 50 catches from 29, that's a huge jump. The Pats don't use their TE's the way San Diego & KC do. I think Branch will play this year, and that means he will be the main target, with 50+ catches coming from the Caldwell/Jackson combination. This is how I see it:

Branch-80
Caldwell/Jackson-50
Watson/Graham-65
Brown/Childress/Thomas/Mills/etc-65
Runningbacks-60

Thats 320 catches by everone (Which would be Brady's 3rd best season for completions, I see the running game being better than last years).

scott99 said:
IF he can stay healthy, probably 30-40. I don't see him jumping to 70 or even 50 catches from 29, that's a huge jump. The Pats don't use their TE's the way San Diego & KC do. I think Branch will play this year, and that means he will be the main target, with 50+ catches coming from the Caldwell/Jackson combination.

Based on what I saw last season, Watson wouldn't need a huge quantum leap to go from 30 passes last year to even twice that many this season.

If I were a betting man I'd be more likely to put money on Watson making that jump rather than bank too much on Reche Caldwell and a rookie WR - I hope both surpass expectations but I just wouldn't want to go into a season placing the hope of the offense on them to any degree.

Meanwhile, as far as NE not running TE oriented plays like SD and KC, the fact that BB has used two 1st round picks and a third rounder this year suggests to me that he'd very much like to.

JoeSixPat said:
I thought this was pretty clear as well. Even in training camp his first season I think we all recognized that Watson seemed like a more natural receiver than Graham. Last year, Watson's "true" rookie season gave us a preview of what's to come.

Graham sucks as a receiver. He is a blocking TE. All his catches look accidental. He can't run routes and find the hole in the zone very well either.

Last edited by a moderator:
After listening to Tommy on sirrius yesterday, I am thinking 40-50 sounds about right. He certinaly was excited about getting the ball into his hands more. Pat Kirwan was asking everyone about Watson, calling him the Patriots big mismatch guy.

I'm interested to hear from Kdo5, pats1, and Willie55 on why they are expecting BenCoatesInHisPrime type numbers from Watson this season.

I'd love it if they were right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes