PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your normal NFL Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruschiOnTap

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Along with football, I'm sorely missing all the other good stuff that goes with watching games.

My friend and I always go to a local sports bar around 11 am, bring a grill, some beers, sausages, or the occasional can of clam chowder. We pop in a CD and sit in our folding chairs, grilling sausages and making bets with the USA Today spreads until about 12.45, then head in to watch the games. Sounds really dumb but it's actually a blast! Everyone who drives up tells us we have the coolest idea. Now that I'm back from Prague for good, I'm looking to buy a Patriots flag and get some magnets to stick on the car to make it all a bit more festive. I can't go to a game to tailgate so I do the next best thing.

What do you guys do if you aren't actually going to the game? Any cool pregame rituals I could learn from?

Last edited:
Good to see we have a few more 1:00 pm Sunday games this year than last.

I wake up around 11, update my fantasy lineup, and watch tv from 12-4.

You must be real friendly with that bar for them to let you tailgate in their parking lot. :rocker:

I live in Los Angeles - nothing better than getting up and having football pre-games already going. Most times I drive an hour South to join my sister and bro-in-law - they have the NFL package - but on occasion I roll out of bed and drive over to Sonny McLeans, a Boston-themed sports bar in Santa Monica (10-minute drive).

Sonny's is that rare sports bar here where EVERY TV is tuned to the Pats so everyone is watching the same game. It's a great way to take in a Pats victory. Very communal, door prizes, raffles at half-time, etc... Very fun.

Sadly I'm a lot like WhizA - I usually end up at home watching the damn thing, following stats from different games with half an eye on the actual set, unless the Pats are on national TV (no Sunday Ticket...)

Waaaah. Okay, once this house-poor thing goes away...

My Sunday Football Rituals...

1) Sat. 11 P.M. PST check all electronic systems to make sure they are a go. I also set TIVO to record the game. I burn all Pats game for review during the week.

2) I get up at Sunday at 8:30 A.M. PST religiously, have breakfast then bring my game supplies to my Patriots Football room. Supplies include drinks, snacks, Pats jersey and hat, magazines.

3) 9:30 turn on all electronic systems and position remote controls. I will also lay out all my football magazines for reference during the game. I also turn off all the phones in my house. Ed McMann could call during a Pats game to tell me I won $10,000,000 and I would tell my wife to tell him to go to hell.

4) 10 A.M. PST I yell down stairs to my wife that it is "GO TIME." I should mention here that I don't like to watch Pats games with other non die hard Pats fans. They tend to annoy me and distract my focus. The last time I actually watched a Pats game with anyone other than my wife was with my brother in law in Dec. 2002 the last game against Miami. We were jumping for joy by knocking them out of the playoffs. Stupid Packers then go lay down for the Jets.

5) 10:05 A.M. PST I begin nervously rubbing my hands together hoping there are no surprises with the line up that might hurt our chances at a well deserved vistory. Like the Denver game last year when they scratched Corey right before kick off.

6) Approximately 11:30 A.M. PST halftime, I begin text messaging my non Patriot fan friends about how awesome the Pats are and why their teams should fear us.

7) 1 P.M. PST I am either on cloud nine or I am fuming about why the Pats ignored what I saw coming all week and how they lost a game they should have won. Upon a victory, I will stay up till 11 P.M. and watch every highlight show several times. If we lose, I begin thinking how I am going to face my non Patriot fan friends at work in the morning. God I hate those days.

Last edited:
haha, you guys are awesome!

my friend is a big Carolina supporter so we fight a lot and watch different screens at the bar... as for our standing at the bar, they know we will go in and drop on beer (they don't KNOW we're drinking out there) and tip pretty well so we've never been harassed, although my friend once damaged someone's car as we threw a football around...

wish I had TiVo though! I have to sit through ESPN highlights.... I guess that's student life for ya

My wife and I either stay at home or go to a rabid pats relative's house, both of us have the 42" tv. I usually exercise a lot on game day, cause I tend to eat more. If at home usually ass in seat by 12:00 after I have read everything in the paper or on the internet...watch the pregame show, get everything done around the house that needs to be done. If we go to a relative's house, get there by 11:45 so all the yak yak gets done before the game. Anyways we focus on the game, only the game as all the other stuff is taken care of. Occasionally during a Miami game, will have my Dolphin friend over and usually will make something like Dolphin Stew as I proudly display all my pats stuff, which has gotten pretty significant now.

when sunday arrives i would like to be in Us...

BruschiOnTap said:
Along with football, I'm sorely missing all the other good stuff that goes with watching games.

My friend and I always go to a local sports bar around 11 am, bring a grill, some beers, sausages, or the occasional can of clam chowder. We pop in a CD and sit in our folding chairs, grilling sausages and making bets with the USA Today spreads until about 12.45, then head in to watch the games.
Holy crap, before that last piece of info, I thought you were barbecuing inside the bar! :eek:

As a Red Sox fan as well as a Patriots fan, right now I'm thinking how looooonnnnnnggggg the baseball season is (as is basketball). The football season is just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that I have any pre-game rituals. It all depends on what time the game is which in the last few years has been so variable (it'll be nice to be back to 1:00 starts this year.) But basically Sundays are a wash. All I do is watch football from 1-11:00pm (ESPN Sunday night game even though MacGuire and Theismann used to KILL ME) and Monday night too.

Now in-game rituals are a different story. I've been know to vaccum, run the dishwasher, and the washing machine all at the same time. Don't know why but all the machinary turning seems to help the team.

Hoodie said:
I don't know that I have any pre-game rituals. It all depends on what time the game is which in the last few years has been so variable (it'll be nice to be back to 1:00 starts this year.) But basically Sundays are a wash. All I do is watch football from 1-11:00pm (ESPN Sunday night game even though MacGuire and Theismann used to KILL ME) and Monday night too.

Now in-game rituals are a different story. I've been know to vaccum, run the dishwasher, and the washing machine all at the same time. Don't know why but all the machinary turning seems to help the team.
That's what my wife does when she's mad because I'm watching about the third football game in a row! Ah, the upstairs TV though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fanfrom1960 said:
Holy crap, before that last piece of info, I thought you were barbecuing inside the bar! :eek:

well, I tried but they said I don't tip well enough ;)

I get up early, get enough things done around the house to justify spending the remainder of the day half-****ed, half-stoned, completely involved with the day's games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes