Your favorite stat category tweak

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just for fun, I thought I'd see what other commissioners like to do for stat category tweaks. For example, one thing I'm trying out this year is adding a 1 point bonus for each 3-and-out forced by a defense. I always felt that defensive points were to dependent on turnovers, so I typically up the weight of points-allowed, and I figure adding the 3-and-out category will reward a team for being solid.

How about all of you? What do you tweak to add flavor to your leagues?

Many years ago when I first began playing FF I recall reading a season preview, and the article talked about how certain players were not good NFL quarterbacks but were good FF quarterbacks, and others were good NFL quarterbacks but mediocre FF quarterbacks.

Although that was an accurate assessment, I never did (and still don't) care for how that works with "standard" scoring systems that reward a QB who fell behind early (often due to a turnover or two of his own), who then goes on to throw for a boatload of yards - while another QB does what he needs to for his team to win but doesn't rack up a lot of FF points.

One way to counteract that was to increase negative points for turnovers, but what about the guy that completes almost all of his passes and his team leads from start to finish, so he doesn't have to throw often or for a ton of yards?

Solution was to add a bonus where you get one positive point for a completion, and one negative point for an incompletion. Depending on the system that you are on you probably need to set it up where you get two points for each completed pass and one negative point for every pass attempt.

Player One:
20/42, 3 TD, 4 INT, 400 YDS

Player Two:
15/19, 1 TD, 0 INT, 210 YDS

Obviously Player Two had the better NFL game, but Player One had the better standard FF stats. With this bonus Player One gets (-2) points while Player Two gets (+11) points, which goes a long ways to offsetting the points for yardage and touchdowns; it works out to almost the equivalent of two touchdowns in this scenario. The yardage and turnover points can also be tweaked as you see fit, that's something we have changed multiple times.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back