PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your favorite Patriots play of the decade - One on offense, defense, special teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As the decade of domination for this team comes to an end and hopefully more in the next decade lets hear your ONE favorite play of the decade of the new Millenium for the Patriots in 3 catagories - 1 on Offense - 1 on Defense - 1 on Special Teams

While there were hundreds of great moments for the past 10 seasons I think there is a special one in everyone's mind that they cherish and remember so fondly.

You may post 1 runner-up in each catagory if its too close to call

Here's mine.....

Offense - "2007" The Flea Flicker from Brady to Moss and Back to Brady for the bomb to Gaffney in the end zone that wowed the fans at Gillette and shut Anthony Smith up.

Runner-Up - "2007" Randy Moss catches a long bomb from Brady for a TD that practically falls in his lap while 2 Miami Dolphin Defenders were blanketing him well.

Defense- "2003" Willie McGinest stop of Edgerrin James of the Colts on the goaline at the end of the game in a critical game the Patriots won that eventually was the difference in HFA when they met months later.

Runner-Up - "2006" Troy Brown turning into a defensive back and stripping McCree from the ball after McCree apparently had the game won for the Chargers after he picked off Brady.

Special Teams - "2002" Adam Vinatieri's 48 Yard Field Goal to win Super Bowl 36

Runner-Up - "2006" Doug Flutie's Drop Kick field goal in early 2006 which was successful and first attempted since 1941

Last edited:
Re: Your favorite Patriots play of the decade - One on Offense,Defense,Special Teams

Offense-
Brady to Moss for 50th TD
-------------------------
Runner up-Brady elegantly? falling into the endzone against the Raiders in the snow game.

Defense-
Ty Law interception of Warner
------------------------------
Runner up-Willie stops Edge

Special teams-
Vinatieri GW against Rams
-------------------------
Runner up-Antwan Harris getting the lateral from Troy Brown on the blocked field goal against Pittsburgh

Re: Your favorite Patriots play of the decade - One on Offense,Defense,Special Teams

I chose just one play, and that was Troy Brown's strip.

Re: Your favorite Patriots play of the decade - One on Offense, Defense, Special Team

Offense
Brady's perfect 60-yard TD on a brilliant post route by Deion Branch late in the first quarter of the 2004-05 AFC Championship Game against Pittsburgh to go up 10-0.

Defense
Tedy Bruschi literally taking the ball away from Dominic Rhodes in the 04-05 AFC Divisional game against Indy. Set the tone for the rest of the game.

Runner-Up: Bryan Cox leveling Jerome Pathon against Indy early in 01 during Brady's first start. Set the tone for the rest of the season.

Special Teams:

-Anyone of Adam V's big kicks OR

-The block of Kris Brown's kick in the 01-02 AFCCG, Troy Brown picking it up, and flipping it to Antwan Harris who then took it all the way for a TD.

I chose just one play, and that was Troy Brown's strip.

I love that this play is in two out of three responses, because it is something that would be lost to casual fans, but absolutely one of the greatest plays of the decade! It falls into the Offense & Defense Catagory

I can make all three plays with Troy Brown:

Special Teams: Troy Brown Punt Return against the Steelers in the Brady/Bledsoe 2004 playoff run

Offense: Troy Brown down the left sideline bomb in Miami followed by Bill celebrating with some animation

Defense: Troy Brown giving his best imitation of shut down corner.

Favorite Picture Memories: Tedy Sliding into the end zone in snow & Adam's Field Goal going through the uprights in 2004 SB

ahhhh the memories make me smile

Re: Your favorite Patriots play of the decade - One on Offense, Defense, Special Team

Going against the obvious choices and with a few that I really remember losing it when they happened.

Obviously the huge ones (SB winning kicks etc) are THE BEST moments...

Offense-
2007 -vs- The Chargers (I believe), it was a pretty normal play, but Welker juked out a defender and it looked like the Charger broke both of his ankles trying to stop short to get to Wes. I'd never seen a player move and change directions that fast since Barry Sanders. Someone had a gif of it, maybe they can post it. I don't know why, but that moment always stands out to me.

Runner Up: Castle's bomb to Moss out of the end zone during the 2008 home opener. Seemed like everyone thought the Patriots were dead without Brady but Matt at that moment, I remember thinking "this is going to be one hell of a season" after that pass.

Defense-
Tedy Bruschi ripping the ball away during the 2004 Playoff game -vs- The Colts. I knew the moment he did that, we were going to win our third Super Bowl.

Runner Up: Rodney's pick in SB39 to clinch the game.

Special teams-
Adam's touchdown throw, not sure if that would count as a true special teams play, but it was awesome and unexpected.

Runner Up: Ghost coming up with the fumble during the Buffalo game this year. Was in the crowd, took me about a week to get my voice back after that.

Offense:
1. Branch's end around against Pittsburgh in the 4th Q for a TD as he waved to the defense.
2. Troy Brown over the middle during the final SB 36 drive.

Defense:

1. Bruschi interception for a TD at the 6 yard line against Miami in the snow game.
2. Stuff by Willie at the Colt 1 yard line.

Special Teams:
1. Punt / Safety against Denver.
2. Bethel's KO TD to close the half against Indy.

Offense
2007 season - Tom Brady's 65-yard bomb to Randy Moss to simultaneously break the passing and receiving touchdowns record, and give the Patriots the lead for good in Week 17 against the Giants, capping the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history.

Defense
2006 season - This play actually happened on offense, but Troy Brown's strip of Marlon McCree after Tom Brady's interception, the game-changing play of the night, to help upset the mighty Chargers.

Special Teams
2001 season - Adam Vinatieri's 45-yard field goal into the face of a blizzard to tie the game against the Raiders in the infamous Snow Bowl.

Offense Brady to Brown long bomb to defeat Miami in OT 2003?

Defense Can think of anything better than McGinests tackle of E James at the goal line.

Special Teams.....Browns run back of a punt or kick off for TD in the AFC title game against the Squealers in '01. It broke they're back.

Last edited:

Offense - Brady's bomb to Brown in OT in Miami.

I'll never forget this one. I was at a huge football party (like 150-200 heads) and while that ball was in the air you could have heard a pin drop...and the moment Brown caught the ball we were all jumping up and down and screaming. Great stuff

-Also what made this even better was that the refs screwed up the coin toss and the D stopped the Phins.

Defense - Bruschi's TD in the snow against Miami.

My buddy was at that game and the snow "fireworks" were just awesome.

Special Teams - Adam V's second Super Bowl winning kick.

I was in the military in 2001 so I didn't get to see the first one with my friends. The Panther's Super Bowl was the first championship I got to enjoy with them.

Last edited:

Just remember how I felt when these things happened. These were the top 3.

Offense- SB 36 TB pass to TB to set up AV for the game winner

Defense-3rd pick of Manning by Ty in the 03 AFCCG.

ST Tie: -AV kick in the Snow Bowl to knot it up at 13-13 and Sb 36 clinching kick by AV.

I have a miraculous play in mind the Immaculate reception part 2 in 01 against the Falcons. Ball hits off I believe Brown right into Pattons hands for a run away TD.

Offense: The fake by TFB and Givens loses his man for an easy 10yd score against the Colts in the AFCC

Defense: Ty Law's performance against Manning in 03

ST: Troy Brown up the gut in the AFCC game of 01

The Brady to Brown TD in Miami was my runner-up. Sorely needed that after the Red Sox collapsed against the Yankees just three days prior.

Offense: Brady to Moss, 50/23, week 17 2007.
Defense: Bruschi rips the ball right out of Dominic Rhodes' hands for the "fumble recovery" in the 20-3 AFCCG win
ST: Vinatieri game-winner against the Rams, followed closely by the Snow Bowl OT kick.

And yeah, Brown's strip of McCree definitely belongs somewhere on the list for the "C'mon, yeah!----OH **** NO!!!----wait.... YEAH!" factor. That sequence could only have been more bipolar if it resulted in a touchdown somehow.

Last edited:

Great play in a loss: Matt Cassell's perfect throw to Moss to tie the game in regulation against the Jets.

Favorite play of the decade was the Gaffney touchdown to win the Ravens game in 2007.

Runner up was that amazing Moss catch in the 2007 Miami game beating multiple defenders in the endzone for the TD.

Offense - Brady to David Patten just before the end of the first half of SB36 - we were on the other side of the stadium but somehow I perfectly saw his foot and one hand come down and while everyone thought he only got one foot down I knew it was good because I saw the hand.

runner up - Brady to Brown to set up the game winner in SB36

Deffense - one of the Ty Law picks vs the Colts in 03 - Just before the play I saw BB point something out to Law and I followed Law the whole play and what a play it was

Runner up - Bruschi's INT vs the Dolphins that set off the snow celebration

STs - The walk off FG to win SB 36

Runner Up - Troy Brown's punt return VS the Steelers

and my favorite "play"ful moment Randy interacting with Randy Mask

I think many of us can include the Bledsoe 11 yard pass TD to David Patten after Brady was injured in the game vs the Steelers in 2002 which was the only offensive TD of that game.

Willy's wrap up on James to win the game in Indy

Brady over the top to Branch in the 2004 AFCC to go up 10-0. I was stunned, so stunned that we scored 10 points so fast that I didn't even cheer, I just stood there hoping that they would be allowed to kick the PAT.

How about some more recent ones? :singing:

moss%20one%20hand.jpg

42355196.jpg

410w.jpg

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back