PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your Favorite and Least Favorite Patriots Monday Night Football game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What was your all time favorite MNF game involving the Pats and your least favorite game in the BB era?

For Favorite MNF game,I would go with the 2010 mauling of the Jets who were a much better team then and Rex was obnoxious and arrogant and to see his team embarrass themselves was a joy to watch.

Least Favorite MNF game was the 29-28 shocking upset to the 2-11 Miami Dolphins in the 2004 season...I thought we would destroy them but could not believe they pulled it off.

Most memorable game was the 1980 loss to the Dolphins,not because we simply lost,but the announcement that John Lennon got shot and was dead was hard to handle at the same time.

Last edited:
Favorite:patriots 25-24 over Bills in Brady's return. Two crazy ass catches by Ben Watson and Pats pull over an improbable come from behind victory. 45-3 is a close second tho bills game was just so exciting at the end.

Least favorite:40-21 thrashing by the colts, first time Peyton beats Brady. Brutal, just brutal.

Last edited:
Agree with the 2010 Jets game - shutting down/shutting up the Jets was awesome...sadly what happened a few weeks later against them was NOT awesome.

I would also submit the 2003 game at Denver because it was one of those "this is how the Patriots do things" when they deliberately took the safety so to keep it a 3-point game and then later it was Brady-to-Givens...game over, WIN. Not only on Monday night, but at Denver.

Least favorite was 1985, at Miami. Once again, the Pats gave a game away down there and made it seem like we would never win in the Orange Bowl. I still remember Glen Blackwood (I think) picking off Eason to seal the win. Of course, like the Jets MNF in reverse, this ended differently (and much better) a few weeks later!

I agree also with most memorable. Once Cosell announced that Lennon was dead, you just KNEW that Smith was going to miss the kick.

Favorite: 2003 @ DEN. Intentional safety but late TD pass to Givens wins it 30-26.

Least: 2009 @ NO. Patriots didn't stand a chance. Lose 38-17 and season went downhill from there.

Least favorite was 1980 at Miami. Potential Super Bowl contender loses to Miami that night for the division title. Oh, John Lennon gets shot too.

Favorite would be Brady absolutely shredding those dopes in Pittsburgh to kick off the 02 season and putting the banner up. 1st game at Gillette.

Favorite: Denver win with the intentional safety. Demons exorcized.

Favorite in person: 45-3 against the Jets Dec 6, 2010. Evil crushed.

Least Favorite: The loss to the Colts with Faulk short on 4th down. Evil triumphant.
(or was this on SNF?)

Last edited:
I can't remember if the Bledsoe thumb game vs. Miami was Sunday or Monday night. If it's Monday that'd be it. Terry Glenn looks to the sidelines, sees Carroll motioning for TO, looks away and goes on like he didn't see anything. Then we finish another miraculous comeback.

45-3 otherwise.

Least Favorite: The loss to the Colts with Faulk short on 4th down. Evil triumphant.
(or was this on SNF?)

It was Sunday Night.

I'd say my favorite was the Steelers game in 2002. It was great with the crowd chanting we are the champions and blowing them out, really rubbing their noses in it.

Least favorite is tough. The one that jumps out to me first is the Miami game in 04 because of how mad I was losing that game but the season turned as we had hoped in the end so it almost seems like it shouldn't be my answer.

(or was this on SNF?)
For some reason I thought the 4th and 2 was a 4:15 game. Anyone remember for sure?

My favorite was the 2010 Jets Pats game. Such a good game! My least favorite was the 2009 game in New Orleans. I had such high hopes and they just fell short :/

For some reason I thought the 4th and 2 was a 4:15 game. Anyone remember for sure?[/QUOTEJjust looked it up. Sunday night game.

Last edited:
I think the worst one in my mind was the one in the late 70's that cost us from having a Monday night game for 2 decades was it? What an insane atmosphere that was...like out of a "B" post apocalyptic movie..lol. Seemed everyone was ****ed...fights in every sections..people pissin" in the sinks in the bathrooms...over the top of the stadium onto the people below....puke everywhere...wasn't there like 400 arrests or some crazy number like that...and if I remember correctly...someone was killed by a drunk driver which was the icing on the cake.....

As far as the better ones..Ya..the Jets on Monday night seems to be a good bandwagon to jump on....

Least favorite:40-21 thrashing by the colts, first time Peyton beats Brady. Brutal, just brutal.

This game for me was by far the worst MNF game. The Colts were stacked that year (however,Peyton choked in the playoffs yet again), and were coming in 7-0 while we were 4-3 with an incredibly injured defense. We as fans held some hope we could beat Peyton again, but we were just too outgunned. The Pats fell to 4-4 and the next day everyone was saying the Pats dynasty had crumbled.

(or was this on SNF?)

yeah the Colts game was SNF for sure... but you are right, i think except for the super bowls i never felt worse after a game... i also think this game changed our 09 season; if we could have beaten the undefeated Colts i think we could have made a run at a super bowl... but it never happened and we got embarrassed by the saints 2 weeks later and obviously by the Ravens in the playoffs...

The Colts game took away all momentum this team had that season..

Favorite: Season-finale, 1986 in Miami.

Pats needed to win to make the playoffs at 11-5. A loss at 10-6 gave the division to the Jets and Pats miss the wildcard on a tiebreaker to Cincy. During the entire broadcast, the production would cut to a Bengals TV-watching party, with Boomer Esiason front-and-center.

The game was close, but the Dolphins were leading late; The Bengals players were full of smiles watching the 2nd half. Pats got the ball one last time. In the first year post-Hannah, the Pats running game struggled horribly all season. Somehow, on this final drive the running game finally decided to show up with authority. The Pats ran off run after run after run, something they hadn't done all year. Even the announcers were making note of it. Then with the Pats down around the Miami 30yd line, Grogan switches things up and throws deep down the right sideline to Stanley Morgan, who catches it in the endzone for the winning TD. The Pats were ecstatic. The production cuts back to Boomer and his teammates watching in stunned silence. Great game and great television. Such an awesome way to end the season and enter the playoffs.

Least Favorite: Pats @ Saints 2009

If you look at the Pats over the last few years, one of the indicators that they are a good team is that even when they don't win, they put up a fight and keep it close. Of their last 7 losses going back to the start of 2011, the only one they looked outclassed from start to finish was the Steelers game and even then they only lost by one score. These Pats just don't get rolled; They are too good for that.

When the Pats went into New Orleans a few years back and got the doors blown off, that was outright disorienting. Pats were outplayed on both sides of the ball, outcoached badly and the scoreboard reflected the evening quite accurately. That was such an abberation, to not even show up, to not put up a fight. The "A Football Life: BB" show with the soundbite of Belichick telling Brady "This team has no mental toughness," during that game was so appropriate.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
I think the worst one in my mind was the one in the late 70's that cost us from having a Monday night game for 2 decades was it? What an insane atmosphere that was...like out of a "B" post apocalyptic movie..lol. Seemed everyone was ****ed...fights in every sections..people pissin" in the sinks in the bathrooms...over the top of the stadium onto the people below....puke everywhere...wasn't there like 400 arrests or some crazy number like that...and if I remember correctly...someone was killed by a drunk driver which was the icing on the cake.....

I had some recollection of this game so I had to look it up and remind myself of some of the details. It was September 21, 1981 - 35-21 loss to Dallas. I remember seeing the footage of some fans coming on the field (not sure if the MNF broadcast showed that or not). After this night the Town of Foxborough didn't allow another MNF game to be played there for 14 years. 1995 vs. Buffalo was the next one.

Speaking of idiocy (non-MNF category) I was at the game in 1985 when they beat the Bengals (Robert Weathers was literally running right at us in the corner of the end zone on that 4th-and-1 play) to get into the playoffs and start the Super Bowl run. Remember the guys who took part of the goal post out of the stadium and got electrocuted on Rt 1? Ah, the "good" old days
:bricks:

Favorite: the 07 season when we are trying to stay perfect and the ravens come to fight. Jabar has that catch in the back of the ez that looked like he was almost out of bounds to win the game. I think this is where the raven's bitterness towards us really began.

Least: 09 saints. It is rare that anyone puts 30 on us unless we are playing that crappy prevent defense but this game was just pure domination. It didn't matter how good our coverage was. If Brees threw it, it was going to perfectly land in his receivers' hands. Our offense was garbage and we still had welker unlike the beating in the playoffs later that year. I have no wishes to ever face dree brees again after that game.

Favorite: 2003 @ DEN. Intentional safety but late TD pass to Givens wins it 30-26.

Least: 2009 @ NO. Patriots didn't stand a chance. Lose 38-17 and season went downhill from there.
I think I'm with you here.

Favorite: Season-finale, 1986 in Miami.

Pats needed to win to make the playoffs at 11-5. A loss at 10-6 gave the division to the Jets and Pats miss the wildcard on a tiebreaker to Cincy. During the entire broadcast, the production would cut to a Bengals TV-watching party, with Boomer Esiason front-and-center.

The game was close, but the Dolphins were leading late; The Bengals players were full of smiles watching the 2nd half. Pats got the ball one last time. In the first year post-Hannah, the Pats running game struggled horribly all season. Somehow, on this final drive the running game finally decided to show up with authority. The Pats ran off run after run after run, something they hadn't done all year. Even the announcers were making note of it. Then with the Pats down around the Miami 30yd line, Grogan switches things up and throws deep down the right sideline to Stanley Morgan, who catches it in the endzone for the winning TD. The Pats were ecstatic. The production cuts back to Boomer and his teammates watching in stunned silence. Great game and great television. Such an awesome way to end the season and enter the playoffs.

Least Favorite: Pats @ Saints 2009

If you look at the Pats over the last few years, one of the indicators that they are a good team is that even when they don't win, they put up a fight and keep it close. Of their last 7 losses going back to the start of 2011, the only one they looked outclassed from start to finish was the Steelers game and even then they only lost by one score. These Pats just don't get rolled; They are too good for that.

When the Pats went into New Orleans a few years back and got the doors blown off, that was outright disorienting. Pats were outplayed on both sides of the ball, outcoached badly and the scoreboard reflected the evening quite accurately. That was such an abberation, to not even show up, to not put up a fight. The "A Football Life: BB" show with the soundbite of Belichick telling Brady "This team has no mental toughness," during that game was so appropriate.

Regards,
Chris
I was at the NO game. Not a fun night, until we got to Bourbon St. after the game. Stayed there until about 5:00 am, went back to the room, packed, showered, went to the airport for a 9:00am flight and slept all the way to Baltimore. That was the Monday night after Thanksgiving and I didn't have another beer until Christmas week. Great trip, except for the game.

Last edited:
I had some recollection of this game so I had to look it up and remind myself of some of the details. It was September 21, 1981 - 35-21 loss to Dallas. I remember seeing the footage of some fans coming on the field (not sure if the MNF broadcast showed that or not). After this night the Town of Foxborough didn't allow another MNF game to be played there for 14 years. 1995 vs. Buffalo was the next one.

Speaking of idiocy (non-MNF category) I was at the game in 1985 when they beat the Bengals (Robert Weathers was literally running right at us in the corner of the end zone on that 4th-and-1 play) to get into the playoffs and start the Super Bowl run. Remember the guys who took part of the goal post out of the stadium and got electrocuted on Rt 1? Ah, the "good" old days
:bricks:

Good times. Good times.

Many readers here might not know that MNF games, the sina qua non of TV football back then, were banned from Foxboro for over a decade because of incidents like that. It was tough being a Pats fan knowing that you'd never have a MNF game to go to. I was lots younger and actually loved the idea of being out all night to a Pats game back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots