Welcome to PatsFans.com

Your congress at work.. Pizza is a vegetable.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 18, 2011.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Tons of work getting done inside the beltway to get our economy moving, at least the pizza sauce folks will be happy.. reminds me of the Ronnie Raygun effort 30 years ago to make ketchup a vegetable..

Another reason why parents should take control of their children's nutrition and pack their own lunches..

Pizza As A Vegetable? Congress Proposes New School Lunch Bill | Fox News

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

What are the ingrediants in Pizza.

Loveley Michelle eats Ribs & French Fries almost daily, lots of kids want to be just like her.

Kids don't care what the school dishes out, when the bell rings and schools out they go across the street and eat their Pizza.

God Damn Do-Gooder Fools, imagine the sh!t they eat at those White House Dinners.

:bricks:

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,015 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Pizza is good for you ... :idea2:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I love pizza. It's actually not that bad if it's eaten in moderation and put together naturally. If you start tossing in processed this or that, with all kinds of preservatives or sodium, then you're talking total junk food. French fries really shouldn't be served. Baked fries are a different story. With a lot of foods it's really about how it's cooked and/or prepared, that determines how healthy it is for you. Still, I sometimes wonder if the government should even be involved in kids lunches to begin with. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't one way or the other. I just think back to when I used to brown bag it, and wonder why that isn't still the case today.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Doesn't matter what kids eat. If they had nothing but soy milk, friut and vegetables and tofu, they'd still get fat and diabetic if they go home after school (problem # 1) sit in front of the TV (problem # 2) and never go outside, play games and sports at the park or ride their bikes around town (problem # 3). The crap I ate at school, home and in between would have made me 50 lbs overweight at age 10 if I was 10 today.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Unfortunately Wistah, the combination of liability (schools banning recess), electronic entertainment (internet, cable TV, PS3, XBOX), and the high fructose put nasty arse **** in all our foods reality of today, make what we experienced as kids obsolete. Oh, and **** parenting too. Kids today suck cuz their parents either don't care, or they aren't there. My wife is a teacher and the amount of kids she has in one parent, or no parent homes (a grandma has custody) is alarming. I'm not sure how any of that can be remedied.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

Stop having children is the answer...

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Now your talking, especially illigitmate ones, when kids don't know who their father is they eat sh!t.

9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

All of that goes back to parenting in the end.

when I was a kid we had recess, but it wasn't much real exercise, since they were just 15 minutes. and we had crappy foods and TV and video games -- there were just limits on them

(We exercised after school, either playing sports (on our own for the most part when we were younger, not all these organized sports and activities), riding bikes, etc. Most of our exercise probably came from walking or riding bikes to each other's houses, actually -- don't think that happens too much anymore.)

10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I say we raise our taxes so we can get more of this expert, thoughtful insight from our government.

It's a good thing we wasted time considering this... Who do we have to thank for initiating this work?

Oh yeah... that's right... corporatism saves the day once again. Special Interests Rock! Let's give em more money! Maybe they can make Bacon a vegtable so I can eat healthier! Government! #$%@ YEAH!

Another Free Market Note: Free Media exposed this, not a government agency.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Since I don't have children, I can only guess at the reason for not sending kids to school with lunch from home.

I'll stick my neck out and guess "some" parents don't want their kids to feel or look poor. I say who gives a rat's arse what people think! But some parents are soooo worried about "perception" of their child as if it's important...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

If kids "brown bagged" lunch today the left wing loon teachers would demand to see what they were eating, then the security guard would have to check the bag for drugs, when all this crap was done then the little scumbag from the housing project sitting next to your kid would steal the lunch.

Norman Rockwell your world has changed, it's good that you can't see it you would burn your easel and flush your brushes down the toilet.

:bricks:

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Once again an example that makes me scratch my head over the claim that one side is Coke and the other's Pepsi.

One side turned to science and asked what America's children should be eating the other side turned to the Salt, Pizza and French Fry industries and asked the same question.

14. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +470 / 3 / -3

#11 Jersey

I guess if those canned peaches (that were mostly sugar and had no nutritional value) can be considered a fruit then pizza sauce can be a veg :).

Hamar

15. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Pizza in schools is a little different than you would get at your door. We have Dominos delivered at our school and it's not as good as the frozen pizza we have, due mostly to the wheat crust, and a few other items to meet regulations. Subway sandwiches, with all those fresh vegetables does not qualify to the federal requirements. As far as obesity is concerned nobody is really listening, just complaining. I'm working on an article and have been pulling facts together. Obesity is an epidemic (that was stated by our Surgeon General in 2004). One in three adults is obese. A good percentage of today's generation will not outlive their parents due to unhealthy eating. I read on this board all the time about our nation's outrageous health costs. Breaking news: we are what we eat. Schools are the institution which is needed to educate our youth on nutrition. Most schools already have a program in place, some well ahead of the curve, called the National School Lunch Program, this is an avenue to help correct our health issues. Yet, we have schools offering special events, like "donuts for dads" on Tuesdays, as it is such a nice play on words. F***ing donuts, and this from educated people. I walked around the other day with a baggie containing 18 bags of sugar, which represented a 20 oz. cup of soda. I'm not opposed to anyone drinking Coke or Pepsi, just informing them what they are putting in their bodies.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

One point I'd like to make on this subject pertains to the comments I've seen about "ketchup is a vegetable", etc. as a kind of joke. But specifically about ketchup, it is a vegable!

If our gov't allows fruit and vegable juices to be counted as fruits and veggies, then shouldn't ketchup also be classed a veggie? Kinda the same concept as far as I can see.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +825 / 27 / -33

The reality is that technically that tomatoes are a fruit..

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

I'd eat a piece of sh!t if it was cooked right.

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Hamar???:confused:

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Maybe on paper and in the books of science...but not so with public opinion. Let me know the next time you find tomatos in with fruits at you local supermarket.

So you agree Ketchup should be classified as a fruit?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011