PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Youk Traded to White Sox

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Kevin Youkilis has been traded to the White Sox.

The Boston Red Sox on Sunday traded Kevin Youkilis, a significant part of their World Series championship five years ago and a Fenway Park favorite for nine years, to the Chicago White Sox for two players, right-handed pitcher Zach Stewart and utility player Brent Lillibridge, according to team sources.....

Cant post a link yet, so c&p below to your browser to get the article

sports.yahoo.com/news/red-sox-trade-kevin-youkilis-to-white-sox
Yahoo! Sports

Yeah, he was being edged out by middlebrooks, but I gotta think the team has lost another clubhouse leader this year.

Cant say I'm impressed with the new regime in boston this year.

Last edited:
Kevin Youkilis has been traded to the White Sox.
Yeah, he was being edged out by middlebrooks, but I gotta think the team has lost another clubhouse leader this year.

Edged out? Come on. Clubhouse leader? More like the entitled from years past. Papi came into spring training in shape. Youk? Still a load. That says what type clubhouse leader he is. What positive role did he play in leading the clubhouse during the monumental collapse year? Just more of the - it's our business. They should have moved him in the off-season. Most likely a better return and a signal that it's new team.

Middlebrooks perceived future > Youkilis remaining career.

whats wrong with a little hyperbole?

I liked Youkilis. Its just another connection to teams past that I liked to watch. This years team? Not so much, So maybe I remember with a pair of rose colored glasses on.

im sad to see youk go. he played 100 percent everytime he was in the line up and gave the sox some excellent years. he always had a dirty uniform when the game was over. they weren't going to resign him after this year so it was the right thing to do. but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see middlebrooks or gonzo go down with a injury now that youk is gone. that would be typical for the redsox considering how many guys keep ending up on the dl. does anybody know anything about the two players the rs got in return? i know i dont.

Last edited:
Youks downfall was the testing for the greenies and I am surprised nobody is saying it. Guy was so wired he was lathered in sweat at each at bat. Since then the sweat is gone and so is the production.

I bet the 2 people they took have a much smaller combined contract than Youk. I think the owners are simply going to keep slashing conract until they can sell the team. They are probably sick of dealing with boston people.

I bet the 2 people they took have a much smaller combined contract than Youk. I think the owners are simply going to keep slashing conract until they can sell the team. They are probably sick of dealing with boston people.

Hello - the Sox are paying to get rid of Youk. The White Sox will be paying little if anything of his salary. The Sox are getting 2 nobodies who will not likely be on the roster at the end of the year. What does that tell you?

Hello - the Sox are paying to get rid of Youk. The White Sox will be paying little if anything of his salary. The Sox are getting 2 nobodies who will not likely be on the roster at the end of the year. What does that tell you?
it tells me youk is going to be a free agent and they already have his replacement who is tearing it up.

IMO this is pretty lopsided, have to wonder if Youk degenerated into some type of club house cancer and had to be moved???

There is always more to the picture...

They got a good utility player who knows his role and has been known to get on hot streaks, hes a pretty damn good fielder too and he plays every positioin but pitcher and catcher, Stewart has shown a lot of upside as a starting pitcher but just hasnt been able to put it together at the major leagues, he was highly touted when he was drafted and has put up good numbers in the monir leagues, this team needs starting pitcher depth and they needed someone they could stash in triple A and call up when needed, in the mean time maybe the Sox staff can work with him to make the next step.
If you follow baseball you wouldnt think these guys are nobodies, they were'nt going to get a top notch major league player for a 33 year old that is over paid and hasnt stayed on the field for any length of time the past three seasons, I think under the circumstances they did alright with the players they got in return, Chicago didnt want to let Stewart go but are desperate for third base help.

IMO this is pretty lopsided, have to wonder if Youk degenerated into some type of club house cancer and had to be moved???

There is always more to the picture...

I don't think so Darryl ... the press has been very harsh on him on this issue. My take is that Youk is so ultra competitive that it is impossible to keep a player like that around if they are not a starter. I'm sure his demeanor was not the best but it all goes back to that competitor in him. Who as competitive as he is and has been probably since little league will willingly step aside without a fight for their position.

I think the Red Sox handled it about the best that they could. if we had not had all the injuries perhaps Middlebrooks goes back to Pawtucket. In the end all the injures added up to Middlebrooks became a necessity and Youk became a 2 position utility player ... I wish him well. There's little loyalty in sports and that's mostly because us fans do not allow for it.

I don't think so Darryl ... the press has been very harsh on him on this issue. My take is that Youk is so ultra competitive that it is impossible to keep a player like that around if they are not a starter. I'm sure his demeanor was not the best but it all goes back to that competitor in him. Who as competitive as he is and has been probably since little league will willingly step aside without a fight for their position.

I think the Red Sox handled it about the best that they could. if we had not had all the injuries perhaps Middlebrooks goes back to Pawtucket. In the end all the injures added up to Middlebrooks became a necessity and Youk became a 2 position utility player ... I wish him well. There's little loyalty in sports and that's mostly because us fans do not allow for it.

While I agree with most of what you say, still seems to be lopsided...

I was never really a Youk fan, but he was usually an asset to this team.

As a fan of the 07 squad, I am sad to see him go. The only holdover from the WS teams is Papi. Having said that, I realize I am pining for the past in hoping he'd come around. Now he's just an oft injured, cranky, .225 hitter.

They should have broken this mess up last off-season. Now they have a load of untrade-able, entitled former winners. This team is, or was, going nowhere. I am thrilled to see them move the vets and see what happens. I don't think this is the juice needed to get them over the top, a-la the Normar trade, but it's a start. I really feel they need to break up the Beckett/Lester/Buckholtz triad, but I know they'd get zip in return. No sense moving them without equal compensation in return. It's a tough situation to be in. Theo left town at the right time, leaving Cherington with a meddlesome front office and a mess on the roster.

We are a long way from the October promised land, boys.

While I agree with most of what you say, still seems to be lopsided...

I was never really a Youk fan, but he was usually an asset to this team.

I think if he was still the first baseman he would have a few good years left here. When they signed Gonzalez the writing was on the wall for Youk. he went to a great situation so I think it is at least somewhat comforting that he wasn't shipped off to Siberia. Obama has a new player to root for ...

Obama mocks Boston Red Sox for trading Youkilis to White Sox - YouTube

they were'nt going to get a top notch major league player for a 33 year old that is over paid and hasnt stayed on the field for any length of time the past three seasons, I think under the circumstances they did alright with the players they got in return, Chicago didnt want to let Stewart go but are desperate for third base help.

I wasn't expecting them to get much of anything for Youk. I don't understand how anyone would. I say both those guys will be in the minors by the end of the year. Wasn't Stewart already in the minors?

As for Youk, I think his performance was enough considering the next Red Sox 3rd baseball was already ready. But I think there was probably some other off-field stuff too. The stench of the end of last year still remains.

I wasn't expecting them to get much of anything for Youk. I don't understand how anyone would. I say both those guys will be in the minors by the end of the year. Wasn't Stewart already in the minors?

As for Youk, I think his performance was enough considering the next Red Sox 3rd baseball was already ready. But I think there was probably some other off-field stuff too. The stench of the end of last year still remains.

Stewarts the wild card, they may be able to harness his talents or he may be a bust. If there is some off field stuff still lingering in the clubhouse Ben may have to make more trades, wouldnt be surprised by a big trade before the deadline.

Last edited:
We should have kept Beltré (but that's another discussion) and moved Youk on long ago where his worth would have been higher.

Absolutely ... that was a real dumb move... gold glove 3rd baseman and great hitter.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back