PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You know what, I agree with the majority now...for the most part

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having an internal debate here.

Side 1: You play to win the game, you play to maintain a roll, you play for a higher playoff seed, you just don't concede and lay down.

Side 2: This is the BB side. You don'y risk things when it's unnecessary, you keep things vanilla and the strarters hidden for whenit really matters. Playoff seeding is irrelevant and any game is winable or losable with proper game planning or execution. There was no more chance to get a bye week to increase that preperation time. What you give up is the easier path to the Super Bowl.

I say for the most part, because I don't thinking winning organizations concede when there is still something at stake. However, winning organizations also look at the big picture, past that higher goal.

Even to say there is an easier schedule contradicts my past theories. I feel that there are no team-to-team "favorable" matchups and that every team must be taken seriously in this league, as losing is more than possible with improper execution of a good or bad game plan, or vise versa. There are favorable and infavorable matchups, but they can be be lessened or equalized with such game planning and execution by Patriot players.

There's no question we have those Patriot players. The regular season is now behind us, and I think that's what BB exclusively cared about. He'll work with what he gets, even if what he gets was simply due to concession.

You know at first I felt like we should have played our starter until the game was in hand.

But, then I thought that we played Monday night, today, & we could play Sat. The guys need to be a little fresh with that schedule.

"Just win baby" never did sit well with me - until you get in the playoffs.

I would have liked to win the game....without the starters. It just isn't worth the risk, and we don't have a bye.

It DOES rankle me that we are 10-6 and not 11-5. Of course it does. But I'll get over it.

Another short week according to the schedule posters.....BB knows the league is out to get him.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Another short week according to the schedule posters.....BB knows the league is out to get him.
You're so incredibly biased you couldn't see the truth if it was biting you in the a**. Saturday night is a significant ADVANTAGE for us. Not only will it probably be much colder than at 1PM Sunday, accentuating our home field advantage, but (assuming we win) we will then have an extra day to recover and prepare for the next game (which is on the road and figures to be a tougher one).

Last edited:
BB wasn't choking on his soup

Bella*chick said:
I would have liked to win the game....without the starters. It just isn't worth the risk, and we don't have a bye.

It DOES rankle me that we are 10-6 and not 11-5. Of course it does. But I'll get over it.

it's got me gritting my teeth, too, but clearly BB was thoroughly ok with it. trying to figure out why 11 wins seems so much better than 10 to me.
remember, although we root for each of these guys,
when you got "bam" childress and hank poteat at CB, stone and hawkins at SS/FS, a DL of Marquise Hill, Klecko, and Mike Wright, and LBs of Tully Banta-Cain, Matt Chatham, Don Davis, and Beisel, you MUST be ok with losing the game.
wonder what BB said in the locker room after the game.

alamo said:
You're so incredibly biased you couldn't see the truth if it was biting you in the a**. Saturday night is a significant ADVANTAGE for us. Not only will it probably be much colder than at 1PM Sunday, accentuating our home field advantage, but (assuming we win) we will then have an extra day to recover and prepare for the next game (which is on the road and figures to be a tougher one).
I am soooo naughty! :p

ilduce06410 said:
it's got me gritting my teeth, too, but clearly BB was thoroughly ok with it. trying to figure out why 11 wins seems so much better than 10 to me.
remember, although we root for each of these guys,
when you got "bam" childress and hank poteat at CB, stone and hawkins at SS/FS, a DL of Marquise Hill, Klecko, and Mike Wright, and LBs of Tully Banta-Cain, Matt Chatham, Don Davis, and Beisel, you MUST be ok with losing the game.
wonder what BB said in the locker room after the game.
I think part of the reason is I can't remember the last 10-6 Superbowl winning team.

Surely there has been one? I just don't remember and I'm not up for the research at the moment.

On the other hand, there has never been a team winning 3 Superbowls in a row either. So, we are already playing against the odds.

Bella*chick said:

Well, 14-6 by Mid-February sounds solid to me right now. I get these Charger and Bills fans saying how we stunk and have no business being in the playoffs. I say to them, "Just keep taking, baby."

This was our de facto bye week.

QuinielaBox said:
Well, 14-6 by Mid-February sounds solid to me right now. I get these Charger and Bills fans saying how we stunk and have no business being in the playoffs. I say to them, "Just keep taking, baby."

This was our de facto bye week.
*snicker* Are they really saying that? That's rich. Buffalo is just a horror of a team and San Diego, well, they are alot of flash and where are they now? Sounds like some people are jus' jellus.:D

alamo said:
Saturday night is a significant ADVANTAGE for us. Not only will it probably be much colder than at 1PM Sunday, accentuating our home field advantage, but (assuming we win) we will then have an extra day to recover and prepare for the next game (which is on the road and figures to be a tougher one).

Your personal-attack preface is uncalled for ... and false. So i don't quote it.

However, i agree with this interpretation that a Saturday date works to our advantage ... in a number of ways. So why not just stick to football?

flutie2phelan said:
Your personal-attack preface is uncalled for ... and false. So i don't quote it.

However, i agree with this interpretation that a Saturday date works to our advantage ... in a number of ways. So why not just stick to football?

I was thinking the same thing. What did we miss? Box you took it well.

May it snow Saturday night!

shakadave said:
I was thinking the same thing. What did we miss? Box you took it well.

May it snow Saturday night!
I am biased, happily so. :D

Box_O_Rocks said:
I am biased, happily so. :D
I apologize, I was too harsh, though I think you have to admit your premise was either ridiculous or insufficiently labelled as sarcastic :) . I routinely pass by 9/10ths of what I consider nonsensical posts without comment before I get fed up and write something ascerbic. I probably had just been reading adpf's threads, and you were the lucky #10 :)

alamo said:
I apologize, I was too harsh, though I think you have to admit your premise was either ridiculous or insufficiently labelled as sarcastic :) . I routinely pass by 9/10ths of what I consider nonsensical posts without comment before I get fed up and write something ascerbic. I probably had just been reading adpf's threads, and you were the lucky #10 :)
No worries, I accept the apology and thank my supporters. I wrote it in a playful vice analytical mood as you suggest, and you offered a valid alternative argument - which doesn't mean they aren't out to get us. ;) After all, two teams played on Monday night and only one is in the playoffs and playing three games in a thirteen day period. However, you are right about the advantages, either way it makes little difference, BB will have the lads ready and I'll be set to scare the cat with my celebrations.

pats1 said:
I'm having an internal debate here.

................ I feel that there are no team-to-team "favorable" matchups and that every team must be taken seriously in this league, as losing is more than possible with improper execution of a good or bad game plan, or vise versa. There are favorable and infavorable matchups, but they can be be lessened or equalized with such game planning and execution by Patriot players.

Not really sure what you are saying here. You state:

1. You say "there are no team-to-team "favorable" matchups "

2 "every team must be taken seriously in this league" an obvious statement.

3. " losing is more than possible with improper execution of a good or bad game plan " another obvious statement.

4. Then you say "There are favorable and infavorable matchups"

It sure seems to me that 4 contridicts 1 and the rest of your post
is obvious statements.

Please explain the seeming contridiction in #1 and #4 above.

If you are trying to say for example that there is no difference
when you match up the Patriots and Jags vs Patriots and Steelers,
you are wrong. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back