Welcome to PatsFans.com

You Can Raise Taxes But You Cannot make Them Stay to Pay

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 13, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

A great lesson for all states and people who think the best solution is to raise taxes on the greedy wealthy. Sure you can ... but greedy wealthy people are greedy ... not charitable ... and so they pack up and leave and the mess continues.

California

I have said in the past ... I know a number of Latin-Americans who already are gone ... they took their money with them. I can think of at least 20 people who have done this ... and i know more who will be gone within the next 2-3 years. These people also tell me the number of white Americans living in the Dominican Republic has grown immensely ... they love it there also and they simply live there and come back here just to visit.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

I really wish more people would leave California. :)

(I know one person who moved from here to save $ -- moved to Vegas. That saved him several million dollars when he sold his business. Personally, I would have been like most superwealthy people I know, including his business partners, and put quality of life over the money. To each his own.)
  3. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So instead of paying your fair share and being a good citizen and contributing to the system, in which you gain a good deal for money from, your going to threatening to leave and take you money with you?

Good! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

The rich already game the system and now they don't want to pay their fair share? Sounds like spoiled rich greedy brats to me.....

Taxes are high because of the rich! Taxes are high because we keep fighting wars we can afford, taxes are high because we make the richest not pay their fair share, taxes are high because the rich game the system!

God its like that guy who said he can't feed his family off of 600k a year.....makes me sick to think we have such people living here.....One good thing is not all rich people are like this, some of the rich are good people and have no problem paying more and helping out in a time of need!

So I say move! Move far far far away and don't come back! We don't need rich greedy people to move forward we need smart,giving and honest people to move forward!

Edit: Like i've been saying you could lower taxes to 0% and guess what? They would still complain they would ***** about bennies then if you took them away they would ***** about paying wages then after that they would ***** about something else its a never ending cycle of greed!

Ever heard the saying "More is never enough"?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm just curious, what's a "fair" share?
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I understand the sentiment but if they all leave where does that leave everyone else?
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Crunch the numbers. You are a millionaire, but would rather live somewhere else over a % $. This would normally be the spot where members on the right would say good riddance. Don't want to fight for your country, adios. Don't want to give a greater % of your earnings to our country so your leaving, you have a point?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow. You just totally proved how wise the old story about the barstool economics really is. For those of you not familiar with this old fable, here it is. It is both brilliant and brilliant in its simplicity.

Everyday ten men go out for beer after work and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20." Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. What about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I got"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
  8. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

More then 0% or 15%....

9 Things The Rich Don't Want You To Know About Taxes

Some of the rich don't pay any taxes after deductions!
    Some of the rich only pay 13-15% in income taxes a far lower rate then others that make a ton less then them.

What's fair? Well that's subjective and what's fair to me might not be fair to you, what I do know is taxes should be higher if you make more, your rate should be higher bottom line!

The rich that try and weasel there way out of paying a fair share are not Americans, they are scum and should be jailed! They talk about how its not fair how we are punishing them for being successful when in reality nothing could be father from the truth......just pay your fair share and be glad you are contributing to the system you gain from!

The rich manipulate the system and gain from it cause they can hire people and gain knowledge on how to abuse the system, they also game the system by buying out elected officials.

Bottom line someone who makes a ton of money should have to pay a higher rate then someone that doesn't make a ton of money...Get rid of deductions and stop welfare for the rich!
  9. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See that's the funny part they won't leave, they are just trying to scare you and me and everyone else! and if they did leave we would be just fine, everyone and I mean everyone is replaceable, the rich are not special snowflakes like they try and make themselves out to be. Fact is someone else would rise up and take their place....

History lesson!

Back when we had slaves, the slave owners were up in arms! They said they could not make a living and they would go out of business if they didn't have slaves....Well guess what? They did just fine! They kept making money and didn't go out of business because they didn't have salves.

Forward 70 years or so!

Min wage and unions!!! Oh how they *****ed and moaned about how they could not make it if they had to pay a fair wage if people could join unions and have someone on their side.....Well guess what? They did just fine! They kept on trucking!

Now lets go back to the 1950!

Income tax rate was 90% and guess what? Best time ever in our country! The rich were still rich but the country had enough to build roads,dams,schools and other things we are slacking on now, the rich did just fine and things were good!

Notice a pattern? Rich people make excuses, to cover up their greed!

Present day

Income tax is at an all time low, our debt is at an all time high and unemployment is very high, now the the world has grown up a bit going over to places like china are moot, the cost is almost equal now. So what's the issue, taxes are low right? We should have a booming economic system!

The issue is greed! and if we don't stop it, it will destroy us! Its always been about more more more and its about time we put a stop to it!
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

So you think they're bluffing and you're calling it?
  11. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not going to go into your story, I will say that if your a greedy rich coward, go oversea! Go to a country that like you cares more about money and greed then people!

Then when they country falls and your come crawling back, I won't tell you I told you so.....You ever hear the saying," You can't have your cake and eat it too"?

I'm all for people making money, I like rich people but I only like the responsible ones, the ones that care the ones that are honest. If we want out country to get back on track, if we want our people to succeed we need everyone to sacrifice and it all starts at the top!

Being rich is not about fun and games, its not about "Winning!" its about being a leader and having a responsibility to make your country and the world a better place for everyone!
  12. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh I don't think, I know!

If they do leave, we will just tax their imports more! We need to a global economy that everyone plays be the rules, if not we have what we have today and unfair system that works only for some.

If I was prez for a day I would institute a law that made its so that all imports sold to the US had to be done by companies that followed our same rules, I.E min wage, healthcare. If not you could not sell your product here!

The reason why more people go over seas is because of greed, they can make more money!!! Well if you take that our of the equation you get everyone playing by the same rules, everything levels out and everyone has to play by the same rules. Now in the case of taking your money overseas I would tax it so by doing so you would loose money not make money.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That article is hilarious in how misinformed it is. Nobody who qualifies as "rich" pays 0% in taxes. The examples they give are hedge fund managers, which is an atrocious example.

People only pay taxes on capital gains once they are realized. If you buy $10,000 worth of Microsoft and next year it's worth $20,000, you don't have to pay taxes on any of that until you actually sell the shares and turn your gain from unrealized to realized. You don't pay taxes on a gain in net worth.

But, much to no one's surprise, liberals in all their blind partisan hatred and anger and bitterness and class envy just don't understand such things.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then you'll end up just like the 9 fools in that little story: you get rid of the person who contributed the most and then wondered why you couldn't afford to pay the bill.
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

As usual, hyperbole reigns... wolfie's little "fable" was basically what Ayn Rand ranted about 50 years ago.

In reality, there is an enormous difference b/t switching states and switching countries, of course.

When it comes to both levels of government, I think most people agree -- or at least an increasing # do -- that spending needs to be reduced.

When it comes to taxes, there are reasonable and differing points of view, and then there are the hyperbolic ones. Anybody who wants to pretend that the rich don't pay a "fair" amount, or that the rich paying rates that are 3% higher is outrageous and will cause them to "leave," is either delusional or intentionally exaggerating to try to win points in a political argument somehow.
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -10

What??:confused:

We're talking about STATE level taxes. No matter where one lives, you pay the same federal taxes.

This thread has nothing to do with loyalty to country...

How many of us happily accept having to pay more taxes? I know I don't.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -10

I'm all for people on gov't assistance...I like poor people, but only the honest ones who try to better themselves and who are honest and don't try to take advantage of the system. So I guess you and I think alike!;)
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Where does the 1400+ millionaires who did not pay any taxes last year, fit into this equation????.. maybe they are the elusive "job creators" which are about as scarce as WMD's in Iraq..

They did not pay 59%.. which is probably a made up number, that is found on Red State or Daily Caller.

An aside is that currently there is over 400 billions of dollars in uncollected taxes in the USA and congress cannot or does not want to find a way to collect it.
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

who are the 1400 millionaires that didn't pay taxes?

edit: when you say millionaires, are you referring to wealth or income? A millionaire shouldn't pay income tax if he loses money in a given year, despite his wealth -- b/c there's no income.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Income.....235,413 taxpayers who earned $1 million or more in 2009, 1,470 of them paid no taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/09inalcr.pdf