Welcome to PatsFans.com

You CAN go home again

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

And the people of Iraq are returning home again, to start their new lives without dictatorship...

[size=+3]Returnees Find a Capital Transformed
    Security Is Better, But Freedoms Are Tempered by Fear[/size]

By Sudarsan Raghavan
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Friday, November 23, 2007; A01

BAGHDAD, Nov. 22 -- Iraqis are returning to their homeland by the hundreds each day, by bus, car and plane, encouraged by weeks of decreased violence and increased security, or compelled by visa and residency restrictions in neighboring countries and the depletion of their savings.

Those returning make up only a tiny fraction of the 2.2 million Iraqis who have fled Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. But they represent the largest number of returnees since February 2006, when sectarian violence began to rise dramatically, speeding the exodus from Iraq.

Many find a Baghdad they no longer recognize, a city altered by blast walls and sectarian rifts. Under the improved security, Iraqis are gingerly testing how far their new liberties allow them to go. But they are also facing many barriers, geographical and psychological, hardened by violence and mistrust.

Days after she returned from Syria, 23-year-old Melal al-Zubaidi and a friend went to the market on a pleasant night to eat ice cream. It was a short walk, yet unthinkable only a month ago for a woman in the capital. Still, her parents were nervous, and Zubaidi wore a head scarf and an ankle-length skirt to avoid angering Islamic extremists.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/22/AR2007112201568_pf.html

//

2. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

<chirp>

Good news comes along, and people ignore it. And then the same people decry the plight of the world.

Not THAT is unbelievable.

//

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the damage is done, the people are already dead or seperated....

"you've made a desert and call it peace"

5. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Beg to differ: "I" didn't make any desert. Saddam and his fanatical loyalists have made a desert. And now the U.S. is cleaning it up and re-building it into a livable and pleasant place to live. In five years you will be complaining that those new "smart-azz" Iraqis are taking jobs away from Americans!!

//

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

too funny.... the allagorical quote i presented was from Tacitus of Rome, and yet here you are taking it literally and personally...

regardless, i don't believe there was ethnic cleansing on either side of the Tigris before 2003... but, you keep on pretending we've "fixed" things if it pleases you...

i will? please stop presenting fact based on what you feel... it isolates you further...

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Tacitus?? Wow. That is impressive!!

("allegorical" -- try a spell-checker sometime, Tacitus would want you to.. :rofl: )

Yeah, you *must* be right. We'll just pretend all those mass graves filled with hundreds of thousands of Iranian and Kurdish people don't exist. Saddam was mis-understood. Sure thing, Pressy.

Jeez! Can't a guy make a prediction anymore?!! :singing: Oh, I guess the prospects of my prediction being correct would toss huge boulders through the theory that the entire U.S. effort in Iraq has been a mistake, so you don't want to deal with it. I understand.

//

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Blah, blah, blah.. George Bush good, Iraq invasion and occupation good.. ignore everything else.. everything is wonderful in the mideast..it never ceases to amaze me to see the people who continually criticize the MSM, use it to their advantage when it fits.. perhaps the MSM is just a figment of the imagination.. or a convenient RW talking point.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  9. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hm-m-m-m, where have we seen this exact same post before??? .... Oh, I know, in two other threads!!! :rofl:

Running low on rebuttals, are you?? Got to use the same old, same old, again and again??

:singing:

//

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

No less than your tired moonie responses.. lets all try some pure love, the world will be a better place.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

-----Get Bush-----

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're just being sarcastic.

//

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

If a man makes his wife cover her face in public
    If a man buys and reads a book that gives instructions on how to beat his wife
    If a man follows those instructions and beats his wife
    If a man makes his wife ride in the back seat of their car
    If a man makes his wife clean up donkey sh!t

DOES THIS MAN LOVE HIS WIFE :confused:

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

NEMster, no need to be confrontational. We're both Americans. We both love the same country and want to see what's best for America.

The oath a military person gives is to protect and defend the Constitution and the nation from all foes, foreign and domestic. 9/11 was very serious blow to America. Saddam had boasted of wanting to do exactly that kind of thing. He had once invested heavily in weapons of mass destruction -- nukes, chemical, biological -- and when asked to open his country for inspection he told the world through the U.N.: "F*ck off!" We asked him nicely several times to comply, and each time he said the same thing: "F*ck off!" To my way of thinking -- and to the vast majority of the Senate and House, as well as the President -- Saddam was begging for a smack-down. He got it. Now his flunky minions are learning it's a lost cause. So Iraq is now starting to settle down.

All because the men and women of the U.S. military took their oath to defend and protect America from all foes, foreign and domestic, seriously.

Yes.

//

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

NEM I have no intention of going down point by point. To do so under your demands would be to accept your premises, many of which I do not.

I've given you my answer to your rather loaded questions. It'll have to do.

//

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

FREE CHRISTmas trees in Baghdad, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.

Rudolph The Red Nosed Donkey :singing:

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Three things:
    1. Have always contended that our heralded intelligence agencies should have known exactly what Saddam was up to.. we spend millions upon millions infiltrating foreign governments and gathering info, we have satellites that can pick up a zit on someone's ass.. weapons inspectors are only window dressing. If we did not know exactly what was going on, just like we should know what is going on in N. Korea or Iran, shame on us.

2. Saddam may have deserved a smackdown, but to destroy a country and literally kill hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in the process can never be justified and this defies all things christian. There is no justification for what we have done, if we wanted to smack him down secretly give the Moosad a couple of million and they would have smacked him down, quickly and efficiently.

3. Things settle down when you put a boot on someone's throat, but no one I know believes when the pressure is let up things will change. Right now the largest number of terrorists are from our "friends" the Saudi's and Libya. When we let up, and we will have to, doubt that things will seriously change there.. cannot live under martial law with intense US military presence forever. Iraq has become a training ground for young jihadists..

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

I made a "desert" and call it Blueberry Pie.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

That wasn't me, I wasn't home :confused:

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

My wife wasn't home either :confused: