You're at the 50
It's 4th and 5
You can run the clock down to 15 seconds left before taking the snap
Your opponent has 2 time outs.

What do you do?

punt......

Punt. Absolutely.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many guys have to be on the line of scrimmage offensively for a punt?

wait till the last second and then Pooch kick it to an open area where a return would be difficult. Take as much time as possible off the clock.

Obviously, you waive the punt team off the field and then just go for it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
GoWesleyan said:
How many guys have to be on the line of scrimmage offensively for a punt?

Punt is just like any other offensive formation. Not less than 7 men on the line of scrimage.

GoWesleyan said:
You're winning 24-21 and have the ball.
You're at the 50
It's 4th and 5

What do you do?

Is it the 4ht quarter? You didn't say. How much time left in the game? You didn't say.

Assuming that it is inside 2 mins left in the game, you let the clock run down. Take a delay of game penalty. Then you have your punter kick it to the coffin corner. Then let your defense win it for you.

wcda said:
wait till the last second and then Pooch kick it to an open area where a return would be difficult. Take as much time as possible off the clock.

Sounds good if you can do it. 50 yards is a pretty long punt.

Good hang time and you should be able to cover it, though.

Why I say a pooch kick to an open is to get it on the ground in a hurry to prevent a fair catch, which stops the clock, and to make getting the ball more difficult. It takes time to get to the ball and even if you fall down right away the clock does not stop till they are touched.

Yes, it's 4th quarter. You can run the clock down to 15 seconds before taking the snap or delay of game.

What about this? It's a running play.

You put in your best blockers... and include someone who knows how to hold on to the ball and who is hard to take down - maybe Dillon, maybe Seymour.

You snap the ball and the play looks normal. If pressure is on the kicker the runner, say Dillon, sprints back to the kicker and gets a rugby style lateral or handoff and runs as if he's going to run a reverse, when he gets to the sideline, or starts getting pressure, he goes the other way and so, everyone on the team is back and helping to block while staying out of the guys way...

At some point, the runner can turn and run- in the wrong direction into the endzone we are defending (Right in the middle of the endzone would be best).

He waits for the D to come to him and fights to stay on his feet for as long as possible.

If you can't burn 15 seconds this way, you take the safety and have a kickoff to the opponent with only 2-3 seconds left, i.e. they HAVE to score on the return (You kick a grounder to one of their non returners), This to me is better than punting, which would give the opponent a return and 1 or possibly two plays.

I would think the element of surprise could be huge-- imagine the gunners coming downfield full speed and you think he is going to try to avoid you, but instead he turns right into you at the last second... it would be fun to watch.

I wonder whether - with practice - this maneuver could reliably take 20-25 seconds off the clock and could thus work in this same situation but with 22-27 seconds left to play.

Last edited:
punt the ball! Or do a charlie Weis surprise pass play... :D

GoWesleyan said:
You're at the 50
It's 4th and 5

What do you do?

First I call the guy over that I've had practice this play all season just for this occassion (Tebucky, maybe?) I run the clock down to 15 seconds then have my punter punt to a certain spot, and Tebucky downs it at the two, since I just told him he won't have a job on Monday if he muffs this play (of course I am BB in disguise).

Wait a minute!

GoWesleyan said:
Yes, it's 4th quarter. You can run the clock down to 15 seconds before taking the snap or delay of game.

If I can run the clock down to 15 seconds, then there are something like 40 or 45 seconds on the clock now. My opponent clearly uses one of their two timeouts to stop the clock now with 40-some seconds left, no?

Hand it off to a midget and then throw him 6 yards.

Game over.

Try to draw the team offsides al a snap count, get it down to 15 seconds and punt out of bounds in the corner.

Get Flutie to drop kick it for a FG.... Camera scans to BB on the sidelines rolling on the ground laughing his ass off....

GoWesleyan said:
You're at the 50
It's 4th and 5

What do you do?

Punt out of bounds. A good punter putting it out below the 10 gives us a 95% win. Even if it's a touchback, from their twenty, even with a minute left, the chances of them even getting field goal position are slim.

This question also depends on who you're playing. Are we facing Manning who pulls things out of a hat? Are we facing Bledsoe who chokes? Are we facing Favre who will almost guarentee interception now-a-days?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye