Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Patriots use their first draft pick on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you are cool with a no-trades scenario here is a website that makes it all very easy to do your Patriots mockdraft - guys over in the draft forum have been enjoying this for a month or more.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

My draft:

29. DE KONY EALY - MISSOURI
62. C MARCUS MARTIN - USC
93. DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY - FLORIDA
130. QB TOM SAVAGE - PITTSBURGH
140. TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ - IOWA
198. DE BEN GARDNER - STANFORD
206. RB MARION GRICE - ARIZONA STATE
244. TE COLT LYERLA - OREGON

As long as you are cool with a no-trades scenario here is a website that makes it all very easy to do your Patriots mockdraft - guys over in the draft forum have been enjoying this for a month or more.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

My draft:

29. DE KONY EALY - MISSOURI
62. C MARCUS MARTIN - USC
93. DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY - FLORIDA
130. QB TOM SAVAGE - PITTSBURGH
140. TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ - IOWA
198. DE BEN GARDNER - STANFORD
206. RB MARION GRICE - ARIZONA STATE
244. TE COLT LYERLA - OREGON

Good lord...I'd be pretty happy with a scenario like that one.

2 nice DE's, a solid center, a DT with tremendous upside in the 3rd round, a big QB with a powerful arm, and CJ Fiedorowicz at pick #140.

To take it one step further, we'd also get a nice RB with Grice, and a low risk/high reward player with Lyerla in the 7th.

Wendell's contract is guaranteed?? If not, signing him for 2 years seems to be prudent planning to me. I don't unequivocally slam Wendell as a player, on the contrary, I have much respect for his versatility, intelligence and toughness. My main beef is, as the ol' definition of insanity goes, doing the same thing the same way and expecting different results.Brady, more than ever, needs the time and must have the ability to move up in the pocket to have the effectiveness required in an AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Wendell is NOT a championship caliber center IMO. He is a valuable offensive lineman on a championship level team given his proven ability to adapt to different positions.

Yeah, I love to joke around and play the jackass more often then not but when I say I've LOOKED AT what I'm talking about, I mean I've taken the time and broke down every offensive play in that Denver loss. C and RG was SUB CHAMPIONSHIP level. The tape does not lie, nor does the stop watch. As good as Brady is at making quick decisions, even he is ineffective when pressured immediately through the A gaps. LOOK at the tape. We're not talking all pro DT's for the Denver Broncos here, yet they made it look like a jailbreak on almost every passing down.,..and the running attack???WHAT running attack??There WAS no interior offensive run blocking worth a damn the entire game.

Some of you insist this is not a problem. OK...I'll keep my mouth shut and see what happens. The Pats and BB MAY draft WR's and quarterbacks and more running backs and not even pick an O lineman. The first few games of the season will certainly show one way or the other whether continuing the Wendell/Connolly line intact is the right move.

I will be very disappointed if we don't take an interior OL pick by the 4th round at worst. I'm not sure that I would pull the trigger in the top 2 rounds, but I would definitely make a selection in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Personally, like many others, I am hoping for an additional selection or two in those middle rounds. I know you may not agree, but I would also like to see the position of QB explored with whoever is left from McCarron, Murray, or Mettenberger as well....as long as there has been other priorities addressed of course.

I am glad that you posted your analysis of the "immediate A gap pressure" from re-watching the tape (I have not watched it myself), because as much as I know in my heart that our interior play was sub-par with both the center and RG, I also wondered to myself privately how much the extra .5 to 1.0 second or so came into effect from such poor receiving options.

In other words, I wondered if the lack of any kind of viable receiving options may have exaggerated the poor play of the OL somewhat, but you have stated that wasn't the case at all. It may have been somewhat of a far fetched theory to begin with, but it crossed my mind for sure, so thanks for commenting.

Wow...that wouldn't be getting much in return for the services of Ryan Mallett, Leemo. We may as well give him away if all we'd do is move up in the 2nd round. Just my opinion but I think he offers us a lot more staying on as a backup until someone else can be properly groomed.

Pick 33 is worth 580 points
Pick 62 is worth 284 points

The difference is 296 points

Making that deal would mean Mallett was effectively slotted in between pick 60 and 61, which makes that a 2nd round pick. Frankly, I'd rather give them Mallett for pick #65, straight up in that situation.

Using the Mallett trade (theoretically speaking), along with the trade down with Cleveland (as previously mentioned elsewhere, and again theoretically speaking), That would leave picks at

Cleveland could do something like QB/DB/WR in round 1, Houston would get Mallett (assuming they actually want him), and the Patriots would end up with 7 of the top 140 picks (first 4 rounds), and 10 picks overall. NE could then do something like (Note the us of "something like" for the "he might not be there!" people):

Tuitt
Martin
Fiedorowicz
McCullers
Pierre-Louis/Archer/Turner/Exum (3 of 4)
Southward/Vereen
Patchan/Britt
Millard

People can argue the players, but the point's still there. In a draft like this, interesting players would be available late.

From fanspeak:

DE KONY EALY
MISSOURI
DE STEPHON TUITT
NOTRE DAME
TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ
IOWA
TE ARTHUR LYNCH
GEORGIA
C BRYAN STORK
FLORIDA STATE
OLB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS
BOSTON COLLEGE
RB LORENZO TALIAFERRO
COASTAL CAROLINA
OG JOHN URSCHEL
PENN STATE

I gave the mock simulator a shot, although I think I panicked and decided to worry about the future in terms of replacing Wilfork by taking Nix with our round one pick. It's one way to go, although probably not the best...that said, it's certainly not a "bad" draft by any means, even though I didn't address the interior OL position until later with the kid from NC-- Bodine.

DT LOUIS NIX
NOTRE DAME
TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME
DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE
QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
LB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS
BOSTON COLLEGE
C RUSSELL BODINE
NORTH CAROLINA
DE BEN GARDNER
STANFORD
S BROCK VEREEN
MINNESOTA

I gave the mock simulator a shot, although I think I panicked and decided to worry about the future in terms of replacing Wilfork by taking Nix with our round one pick. It's one way to go, although probably not the best...that said, it's certainly not a "bad" draft by any means, even though I didn't address the interior OL position until later with the kid from NC-- Bodine.

DT LOUIS NIX
NOTRE DAME
TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME
DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE
QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
LB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS
BOSTON COLLEGE
C RUSSELL BODINE
NORTH CAROLINA
DE BEN GARDNER
STANFORD
S BROCK VEREEN
MINNESOTA

Second time around went in a bit of a different direction. I think both drafts would be pretty solid and have the majority of our needs/wants addressed.

LB RYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE
TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
WASHINGTON
C TRAVIS SWANSON
ARKANSAS
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA
DE BEN GARDNER
STANFORD
RB MARION GRICE
ARIZONA STATE
ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE

I think that you panicked with the second DT pick, not the first. 93 is a fine spot for an offensive lineman or a running back.

DT LOUIS NIX
NOTRE DAME
TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME
DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE
QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
LB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS
BOSTON COLLEGE
C RUSSELL BODINE
NORTH CAROLINA
DE BEN GARDNER
STANFORD
S BROCK VEREEN
MINNESOTA

I think that you panicked with the second DT pick, not the first. 93 is a fine spot for an offensive lineman or a running back.

Possibly.
I kind of like Jones from PSU there though. I think that would give us a pretty solid group of DL.
The 2nd mock that I tried went in a different direction altogether and addressed the IOL selection where you'd like to see it at #93.
This mock simulator could be addictive if you let it!!

That draft simulator was fun. This is the draft I got when I used the Walter data base, though I was surprised when KPL wasn't available in the 4th, which would have changed my draft.

DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA
TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
WASHINGTON
C WESTON RICHBURG
COLORADO STATE
RB ANDRE WILLIAMS
BOSTON COLLEGE
OLB TYLER STARR
SOUTH DAKOTA
DE AARON LYNCH
SOUTH FLORIDA
S BROCK VEREEN
MINNESOTA
WR JEFF JANIS
SAGINAW VALLEY

This is what I got with the fanspeak data base - and I think I like this one better

DT TIMMY JERNIGAN
FLORIDA STATE
TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME
C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
OLB KEVIN PIERRE-LOUIS
BOSTON COLLEGE
CB ANTONE EXUM
VIRIGNIA TECH
OLB TYLER STARR
SOUTH DAKOTA
DE AARON LYNCH
USF
QB JEFF MATHEWS
CORNELL

Using CBS Draft Scout rankings:

#29-A. Sefarian-Jenkins TE Washington They get their complementary TE to Gronk and fill a glaring need with a player with big upside and the ability to help them tremendously in the red zone.

#62-M. Martin C USC The Patriots have a big need at Center and Martin has the biggest upside of them. If the comparisons to Alex mack are accurate then they fill the position with a top notch prospect for years to come.

#95-C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa-The patriots double dip and are all set at TE for years to come.

#130-C. Kirksey LB Iowa-The second double dip but this one is by school. Kirksey gives them depth and athleticism at LB and they desperately need that.

#140-B. Vereen SS Minnesota-This is a good place to add depth in the secondary and Vereen is a good prospect for them at this point.

#198-A. Exum CB Va. Tech-Too good to pass up at this point if he is still around. Exum would add more depth and versatility to an already stacked secondary.

#206-A. Lynch DE/OLB S. Florida If they are going to take a chance on a high risk player this is a really good place to do it. exceptional upside with real questions about his work ethic and discipline.

#244-M. Grice RB ASU-Hard to imagine Grice will still be around at this point but by these rankings he is and they should take the flyer on him. Exceptional speed, worth taking a shot.

Using CBS Draft Scout rankings:

#29-A. Sefarian-Jenkins TE Washington They get their complementary TE to Gronk and fill a glaring need with a player with big upside and the ability to help them tremendously in the red zone.

#62-M. Martin C USC The Patriots have a big need at Center and Martin has the biggest upside of them. If the comparisons to Alex mack are accurate then they fill the position with a top notch prospect for years to come.

#95-C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa-The patriots double dip and are all set at TE for years to come.

#130-C. Kirksey LB Iowa-The second double dip but this one is by school. Kirksey gives them depth and athleticism at LB and they desperately need that.

#140-B. Vereen SS Minnesota-This is a good place to add depth in the secondary and Vereen is a good prospect for them at this point.

#198-A. Exum CB Va. Tech-Too good to pass up at this point if he is still around. Exum would add more depth and versatility to an already stacked secondary.

#206-A. Lynch DE/OLB S. Florida If they are going to take a chance on a high risk player this is a really good place to do it. exceptional upside with real questions about his work ethic and discipline.

#244-M. Grice RB ASU-Hard to imagine Grice will still be around at this point but by these rankings he is and they should take the flyer on him. Exceptional speed, worth taking a shot.

Nice, at lot of similarities to my own mock. My only qualms are that I don't think we'll go with Martin, I'm not all that keen on Lynch and I think that ASJ/CJF are too similar for them to both be selected. But overall, a very nice mock.

Nice, at lot of similarities to my own mock. My only qualms are that I don't think we'll go with Martin, I'm not all that keen on Lynch and I think that ASJ/CJF are too similar for them to both be selected. But overall, a very nice mock.

I noticed that right after i posted mine. Richburg is the safer bet imo but i like martin's upside more, and i think that he has the size they have long been lacking at the position.

OK. I had some time to look at this in detail and here's what I see. I don't think we're going for a QB unless someone that BB loves falls, and I don't see anyone I love in this draft that makes me think I want to hand him the reigns after Brady.

DE & Center & DT are my priorities and so I start with:

1. Kony Ealy - DE
2. Marcus Martin - C
3. Daniel McCullers - DT
4a Antonio Richardson - OT
4b Craig Loston or Brock Vereen SS depending on which is still available
5 - n/a
6a. Brandon Thomas - OG (injured - will redshirt this season, but will be a good value here)
6b. De'Anthony Thomas - RB
7 Logan Thomas (not as QB - as conversion to TE) or Colt Lyeria if BB feels he can work with him.

I know that doesn't address the LB position, but I think we may get a stop gap there with NFL cuts.
I think I've given us a top DE, a top C, a large and physical DT, a large OT to give us insurance with SeaBass coming back from a nasty injury, a SS that should be a big hitter, a redshirt OL for next year, an ultra fast RB that could be used a variety of ways in our offense and a TE who has played QB, but should be a TE or a TE headcase with lots of talent and questions.

I think I'd be happy with this draft. In some cases, I reached slightly over their CBS ratings, while in others I projected them to fall a little. I took Brandon Thomas with the 1st of the 6th rounders since I felt there would be serious interest starting in the 6-7th rounds for him despite the injury that will keep him out of this season.

Thoughts?

29. R. Hageman - DT - A bigger risk than BB would like for the first round, but sometimes you just have to take a shot. If this kid eventually "gets it", he might be as impactful as JJ Watt, but not as versatile (Stephan Tuitt DT/DE)

As impactful as JJ Watt?

Watt had one of the best years EVER for a defensive player a couple years ago. Chances are that no defender in this draft will ever have a year as impactful as Watt did in 2012.

As impactful as JJ Watt?

Watt had one of the best years EVER for a defensive player a couple years ago. Chances are that no defender in this draft will ever have a year as impactful as Watt did in 2012.
Don't be such a jerk - Read the damned post....if you can. I clearly state that Hageman has the kind of physical ability that IF he reached his potential he MIGHT have the kind of impact on the interior of the DL as JJ Watt.

Don't forget that in the year Watt came out, 3 weeks before the draft, more Mocks than not had Watt falling to us late in the first. But congratulations, on your 20-20 hindsight and you astute analysis that Watt had perhaps the best individual year of any DLman in recent memory. You sure did get the scoop on that one. :rolleyes:

Watt was a binkie of mine in 2011, and I was disappointed that he went so early to Houston, but lets get real here, neither you or I would have thought then that he'd have the epic kind of year he had in '12. He remains an awesome player.

The negative on Hageman is that he's had a tendency to disappear in games in college. But the potential is there. The question is whether he'll ever have the "motor" that will match the talent. I don't know the answer to that, but I think its worth the risk because the upside is SO high. High and rare enough that, like Watt, I doubt very much if he gets to the 20's. But just like with Watt in 2011, he's fun to select as a pick.

Entertaining thread...sorta like small talk and that last cigarette before everyone is lined up and their "prediction heads" are blown off by the unpredictable BB firing squad.

I clearly state that Hageman has the kind of physical ability that IF he reached his potential he MIGHT have the kind of impact on the interior of the DL as JJ Watt.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Hageman will NEVER have a year that is even close to Watt's DPOY season.

Just because he's approximately the same height, that doesn't mean he can be another JJ Watt. He doesn't have the same temperment as Watt and never will.

You watch Hageman and he looks kind of lazy. He disappears. Has a poor motor. Usually that stuff is INNATE and no amount of coaching can ever fix that. He doesn't play up to his potential. Production doesn't match his measurables. Watt is the complete opposite. He's relentless. Has a great motor. Extremely competitive.

Strictly athletic wise, Watt is superior in every category at the Combine. But Watt's athleticism isn't the only thing that what makes him great. It's his motor and determination. Two things that are huge knocks on Hageman.

Hageman will be a 24 year old rookie. Not exactly young. He's past his "growing and learning" phase. Watt is only 1 year older than Hageman and has already accomplished so much more. Watt at 23 years old was winning DPOY in the NFL. Hageman at 23 was playing in a weak conference and wasn't even dominating college players.

If anyone thought Hageman really has JJ Watt potential he would be a sure-fire Top 5-10 pick. Hageman is more likely to be the next Cameron Heyward or Tyson Jackson. Serviceable, but nothing special. Watt is a special player you shouldn't be comparing any prospects to unless they are elite, stand out talents.

This one came out very differently, if it played out like this I would have liked to trade out of the 1st, huge run on TEs in the 3rd and 4th left Lynch as the last best option.

OLBRYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE
DEJACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
DTDAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE
TEARTHUR LYNCH
GEORGIA
DEWILL CLARKE
WVU
RBLORENZO TALIAFERRO
COASTAL CAROLINA
OGJOHN URSCHEL
PENN STATE
FBTREY MILLARD
OKLAHOMA

I'm going by NFLdraftscout rankings, with Ryan Mallet to Vikings for pick 96.

29. DT Louis Nix
62. TE Austin Seferian Jenkins
93. OG David Yankey
96. SS Brock Vereen
130. QB AJ McCarron
140. OC Bryan Stork
198. DE Aaron Lynch
206. TE Colt Lyerla
244. ILB Devekeyan Lattimore or RB Tim Cornett

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.