Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Patriots use their first draft pick on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, if I'm going to comment other people's picks, I guess I'm going to have to offer up my own for inspection. The back up plan is in the (), and no trades

29. R. Hageman - DT - A bigger risk than BB would like for the first round, but sometimes you just have to take a shot. If this kid eventually "gets it", he might be as impactful as JJ Watt, but not as versatile (Stephan Tuitt DT/DE)

62. Troy Niklas TE - Not the athlete Ebron is, but better hands. A great blocker now, he's only played the position 2 years, so his athletic upside might be higher than all but Ebron, (ASJ -TE)

79. David Yankey C - Personally I don't think any of the C's available this season are better than what we have. What's the point of Richburg if he's another undersized guy. What's the point of Martin when so many reports claim he needs to improve his strength. Any C we draft is a development project.

So with that in mind, wouldn't we get better value by drafting a G, which a deeper position. We can convert him to C over the next few years, and in the meantime can play some OG - Yankey is already 315 and at 6'6 can pack on more. He's smart, hard working and a good athlete. A guy who in a year or so CAN really upgrade the C position. (Jordan Tripp LB)

93. Jordan Tripp OLB - a speed LB with some size and length. He should have an immediate impact as a special teamer, while he backs up Collins/Mayo (David Yankey C/G)

130. Pierre Desir CB/S - at 6'1 200 lbs - I think he'd be a good addition to the DB's. with 4.5 speed and a 6.8 3cone, he's rated as an excellent cover CB, but I see him playing opposite McCourty as a cover S. A good guy to start to develop and play ST's (A. Exum)

140. Kevin Pierre-Louis - Hybrid S/LB Shazier-lite. I think he'll fill a new position that will become more important as time goes on. Its a little earlier than I would have hoped, but my instinct is that he's a fast riser, and needs to be picked now. (Andre Williams RB)

198. Arron Lynch - DE - freakish athlete with a great combination of size, length and speed. But huge questions about his attitude. This isn't a bad spot to take a shot. I think the upside is worth the minor risk of a 6th round pick. (Terrance Fede DE)

206. Brandon Thomas OG- I think if you are looking to red shirt Thomas you have to do it before the 7th. Too many teams, especially those with a lot of picks, are likely to take the risk there. (Brock Vareen S)

244. George Atkinson III RB - Nice size (6'1 215) and speed (4.45) combination (Nakita Whitlock FB)

UDFA - I don't know this area enough to add a bunch of name, but I do know we will need a 3rd arm at TC, so I'd expect us to sign at least one. The one that comes to mind is Jeff Matthew of Cornell.

Here is why I'd like him to top the list of priority FA's. He is Big, tall, with a good arm, and big hands. He's Ivy league smart and a hard worker. More like Brady than RGIII as an athlete, but his 7.12 3cone shows he has nimble feet to move around the pocket. According to the reports he has to work on his accuracy and mechanics. He's not ready to play in the NFL next season, but neither was TB in his first year. But that's what the PS is for, isn't it?

End of the draft surprise - Logan Thomas TE/QB - He has great measurables for a move TE. He's 6'6, 250, runs a 4.6 forty and 7 flat 3cone. He also has had some success as QB - It would be a very interesting conversion attempt.

OK have at it

Last edited:
OK, if I'm going to comment other people's picks, I guess I'm going to offer up my own for inspection. The back up plan is in the (), and no trades

29. R. Hageman - DT - A bigger risk than BB would like for the first round, but sometimes you just have to take a shot. If this kid eventually "gets it", he might be as impactful as JJ Watt, but not as versatile (Stephan Tuitt DT/DE)

62. Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame - Not the athlete Ebron is, but better hands. A great blocker now, he's only played the position 2 years, so his athletic upside might be higher than all but Ebron, who has some questionable hands. (ASJ TE)

79. David Yankey C - Personally I don't think any of the C's available this season are better than what we have. What's the point of Richburg if he's another undersized guy. What's the point of Martin when so many reports claim he needs to improve his strength. Any C we draft is a development project. So with that in mind, wouldn't we get better value by drafting a G, which a deeper position. We can convert him to C over the next few years, and in the meantime can play some OG - Yankey is already 315 and at 6'6 can pack on more. He's smart, hard working and a good athlete. A guy who in a year or so CAN really upgrade the C position. (Jordan Tripp LB)

93. Jordan Tripp OLB - a speed LB with some size and length. He should have an immediate impact as a special teamer, while he backs up Collins/Mayo (David Yankey C/G)

130. Pierre Desir CB/S - at 6'1 200 lbs - I think he'd be a good addition to the DB's. with 4.5 speed and a 6.8 3cone, he's rated as an excellent cover CB, but I see him playing opposite McCourty as a cover S. A good guy to start to develop and play ST's

140. Kevin Pierre-Louis - Hybrid S/LB Shazier-lite. I think he'll fill a new position that will become more important as time goes on. Its a little earlier than I would have hoped, but my instinct is that he's a fast riser, and needs to be picked now.

198. Arron Lynch - DE - freakish athlete with a great combination of size, length and speed. But huge questions about his attitude. This isn't a bad spot to take a shot. I think the upside is worth the minor risk of a 6th round pick. (Terrance Fede DE)

206. Brandon Thomas OG- I think if you are looking to red shirt Thomas you have to do it before the 7th. Too many teams, especially those with a lot of picks, are likely to take the risk there. (Brock Vareen S)

244. George Atkinson III RB - Nice size (6'1 215) and speed (4.45) combination (Nakita Whitlock FB)

UDFA - I don't know this area enough to add a bunch of name, but I do know we will need a 3rd arm at TC, so I'd expect us to sign at least one. The one that comes to mind is Jeff Matthew of Cornell.

Here is why I'd like him to top the list of priority FA's. He is Big, tall, with a good arm, and big hands. He's Ivy league smart and a hard worker. More like Brady than RGIII as an athlete, but his 7.12 3cone shows he has nimble feet to move around the pocket. According to the reports he has to work on his accuracy and mechanics. He's not ready to play in the NFL next season, but neither was TB in his first year. But that's what the PS is for, isn't it?

End of the draft surprise - Logan Thomas TE/QB - He has great measurables for a move TE. He's 6'6, 250, runs a 4.6 forty and 7 flat 3cone. He also has had some success as QB - It would be a very interesting conversion attempt.

OK have at it

Really like this, I was even thinking of putting Yankey in my mock as well. If this happened, I think as Pat fans, we should be very happy!!!

Personally I don't think any of the C's available this season are better than what we have. What's the point of Richburg if he's another undersized guy. What's the point of Martin when so many reports claim he needs to improve his strength. Any C we draft is a development project.

Martin benched 225 twenty three times at the combine...he's 6'3 320lbs...PERFECT SIZE for a center. Read THE report...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851125/marcus-martin

you see, it's just THIS kind of knee jerk damnation of players that goes for facts today., Martin is NOT weak. Martin is NOT undersized. Martin IS the center the Pats SHOULD take...hopefully in the third, which would be stealing.

Now, try to find ANYTHING on the 6'2" 280 lb Wendell who went UNDRAFTED in 2008. Martin is UNDERSIZED AND WEAK????? Compared to what we have??? WHAT?????????????

"Wendell has significant room to improve as a pass protector. His -6.1 cumulative pass protection grade ranked 33rd of 36 eligible centers, and no center surrendered more pressures (18) or sacks (six) — surely a factor in Tom Brady’s standing as one of the lowest-graded quarterbacks when facing interior pressure (as shown by Steve Palazzolo’s in-depth article on Examining Pressure: QB Play)."...from PFF after the 2012 season...and he was WORSE in pass protection in 2013, yet here's this "consensus"..."there's no one in this draft better than what we have". Looking at the top five prospects I'd hazard a guess that there IS better than Wendell in THIS draft to man the center position.

First, we must understand that there is OG Zach Martin from ND who is indeed first round worthy, ro rated as such by some.

With regard to OC Marcus Martin, CBSSports has him as a 2-3. Draftek's consensus mock has him being drafted at 56 (low second). So, I think that our 62 is not unreasonable (unless we need the pick for a TE), and a bit higher isn't much of a reach.

I'm pretty sure that most have Martin being there in the 3rd round.

I know that both Deus and Kontra have us taking him in the 3rd.

I'm pretty sure that most have Martin being there in the 3rd round.

I know that both Deus and Kontra have us taking him in the 3rd.

I'm seeing some mock types moving Martin up the list. I've got no insider stuff on this, but I could get on board with going

Tuitt
Martin
Fiedorowicz

as the order for the top 3.

I also just posted a trade idea for the Rnd 1 pick, which I think would be one worth the Patriots time to explore (#29 for #35 and #106), which would give Cleveland 3 first round picks while giving the Patriots an extra 4th.

I'm seeing some mock types moving Martin up the list. I've got no insider stuff on this, but I could get on board with going

Tuitt
Martin
Fiedorowicz

I also just posted a trade idea for the Rnd 1 pick, which I think would be one worth the Patriots time to explore (#29 for #35 and #106), which would give Cleveland 3 first round picks while giving the Patriots an extra 4th.

If Cleveland can't get into the 8-8 WC contender range with three first round picks this year, then they don't deserve to see a winning season again...ever ;)

I actually think they're relatively close to WC contenders with any semblance of a halfway viable QB option.

I like the idea of us trading down to accumulate an additional pick or two, as long as it's something like you've suggested and we don't have to wait until the 50's again.

Personally I don't think any of the C's available this season are better than what we have. What's the point of Richburg if he's another undersized guy. What's the point of Martin when so many reports claim he needs to improve his strength. Any C we draft is a development project.

Martin benched 225 twenty three times at the combine...he's 6'3 320lbs...PERFECT SIZE for a center. Read THE report...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851125/marcus-martin

you see, it's just THIS kind of knee jerk damnation of players that goes for facts today., Martin is NOT weak. Martin is NOT undersized. Martin IS the center the Pats SHOULD take...hopefully in the third, which would be stealing.

Now, try to find ANYTHING on the 6'2" 280 lb Wendell who went UNDRAFTED in 2008. Martin is UNDERSIZED AND WEAK????? Compared to what we have??? WHAT?????????????

"Wendell has significant room to improve as a pass protector. His -6.1 cumulative pass protection grade ranked 33rd of 36 eligible centers, and no center surrendered more pressures (18) or sacks (six) — surely a factor in Tom Brady’s standing as one of the lowest-graded quarterbacks when facing interior pressure (as shown by Steve Palazzolo’s in-depth article on Examining Pressure: QB Play)."...from PFF after the 2012 season...and he was WORSE in pass protection in 2013, yet here's this "consensus"..."there's no one in this draft better than what we have". Looking at the top five prospects I'd hazard a guess that there IS better than Wendell in THIS draft to man the center position.

I'm fully on board for an interior OL pick in the first 2-3 rounds, Joker. As to which specific player, that's difficult to try and project, so I won't attempt to insult your intelligence. There are a handful of guys there worth looking at. Obviously it will depend on who is left and who Belichick sees as a fit. You won't hear me complaining about the pick, that's for sure. I was just pointing out the fact that I've seen him in a lot of 3rd round mocks--that's all.

Trade Mallett and pick #62 to the Texans for pick #33
Trade picks #29, #93, and #130 to the Raiders for #36, #67, and #107
Trade pick #33 to the 49ers for picks #56 and #61

36) Demarcus Lawrence - DE - Boise State
56) Dominique Easley - DT - Florida
61) Weston Richburg - OC - Colorado State
67) C.J. Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa
107) Jordan Tripp - LB - Montana
140) Trai Turner - OG - LSU
198) Antone Exum - CB/S - Virginia Tech
206) Vinnie Sunseri - S - Alabama
244) Kenny Guiton - QB - Ohio State

Priority UDFA's
Gator Hoskins - TE/FB/H-Back - Marshall
Marion Grice - RB - Arizona State
Chase Rettig - QB - Boston College
Zach Kerr - DT - Delaware

Well... I'm clearly no good at this. I drafted a guy who got busted for bath salts because I recognized the name...

I drafted a LB first (Shazier) and a TE second (Niklas) because I feel those positions are fairly barren from a roster depth perspective.

LB: Mayo (rehabbing torn biceps), Hightower, Collins... Beauharnais, White
TE: Gronkowski (rehabbing torn ACL), Hoomanawanui, Williams...

I strongly agree that Center should be upgraded. I can't figure out who among Martin, Swanson, Richburg, Stork, Larsen, etc... we should take. I also don't know what we've got at C/G from the Scarnecchia Pipeline as we carried Chris Barker all year on the 53-man. Had Braxston Cave on practice squad. And we saw Josh Kline play well at LG when we had to kick Mankins out to LT late in the year.

I think that DE is a big need too, but one that they could address with a veteran like Will Smith and/or Andre Carter.

Trading back: I am all for it. Let's say QBs are sliding and the real value of #29 is that it is a 1st round pick and comes with a 5th year option. Most teams that need QBs but didn't take them causing the sliding... will be picking again in the mid-30's. The 5th year option means that we could get a lot of value trading back 6-8 slots and that would be worth it to me even if we don't get any players on Thursday night.

Can't wait for this season.

• Kony Ealy, DE Mizzou
  • Bishop Sankey, RB Washington
  • Dri Archer, WR Kent State
  • Christian Kirksey, OLB Iowa
  • George Uko, DT USC
  • Tre Boston, FS, UNC
  • Bryce Quigley, OT, SDSU
I really like the top of this draft, Ealy helps the d-line, but man, Sankey and Archer give this offense some incredible explosiveness. Archer can play two positions and is a great return man with ridiculous speed, and is very tough for his size, think of a faster Daren Sproles. Sankey is a tough productive RB with great shiftiness. We definitely need some TEs to make this particular draft better.

I think the first 4 picks will include at least one trade, and we will draft, in no particular order:
OL
LB
S
TE

Those are clearly the primary needs. Anything outside of that would have to be a player that is graded way higher than whatever is on the board at these positions.

The trade works on paper for many because we think that Tuitt or Hageman will be available at 35. As with almost all draft trades, it is difficult to assess until we are close to drafting.

BTW, I'm fine with your three picks.

Tuitt
Martin
Fiedorowicz

Martin benched 225 twenty three times at the combine...he's 6'3 320lbs...PERFECT SIZE for a center. you see, it's just THIS kind of knee jerk damnation of players that goes for facts today., Martin is NOT weak. Martin is NOT undersized. Martin IS the center the Pats SHOULD take...hopefully in the third, which would be stealing.
Whoa there, Joker. I've never said that Martin isn't a good C prospect. My issues with him come more from whether I think he's ready to start from day one.

Weaknesses
A bit knock-kneed and pigeon-toed with herky-jerky movement. Soft puncher. Gets top-heavy and bends at the waist. Average initial quickness, balance and sustain. Ordinary hip snap -- power element missing. Limited lateral agility and recovery ability. Struggles to connect with moving targets. Is not a strong finisher or an aggressive go-getter. Does not dominate the way he is capable. Only bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times at the combine. (per Walter draft rating)

You see those 23 BP reps isn't very impressive when you consider that the best at the position was 36. In fact 23 was one of the lowest numbers for the position. Add that relative lack of strength to the "ordinary hip snap" that limits his ability to maximize his potential. In other words he doesn't play as big and powerful as he actually could.

Now I believe with proper coaching and hard work, he COULD reach that potential in a year or too, and I'd be fine if we drafted him in the 3rd round or lower. But that STILL wouldn't change the fact that Wendell is still likely to be the starting C this season.

I mean Really J, if Wendell was as bad as you portray him in your post, don't you think BB would have tried to upgrade him when he had the chance early in FA. But he didn't even sniff at any of the FA C's. Why was that? Also if Wendell was THAT bad, and BB thought he could get a starter out of the draft, WHY would he re-sign him and pay him starter's money, even though it was low end starter's money. Why was that?

Has BB simply lost his mind, or could it be Wendell isn't as bad as he's been represented by you. Who cares what he weighed and how he ranked 6 years ago. Today he's 20 lbs heavier and worked for 3 years to develop the skills and techniques that has enabled him to be a starter for the last 2 years, including one where he was rated as one of the top 10 C's in 2012 by one of those same groups that ranked him so low in 2013.

Now I have no illusions about Wendell. I don't think he's a top 10 C any more than I think he's the worst. At this point in time, I see him as an adequate starter. He's a player I think BB would have loved to upgrade, but is fine with having him back if he can't. I believe he didn't see that "upgrade" in the FA possibilities that were available. I don't think he saw any of the draft prospects as being able to come right in as start as rookies and be better than Wendell on a consistent basis. So that's why Wendell was re-signed.

So in reality I think we are on the same page here. The only difference is I don't see that up grade happening we are all look for happening THIS season, even if we draft the right prospect in this draft.
Looking at the top five prospects I'd hazard a guess that there IS better than Wendell in THIS draft to man the center position.
This could very well be true, J, but none of them look ready to take over THIS season. JMHO.

Last edited:
I agree with all your analysis, especially the conclusions below.

Wendell is signed to probably start this year, and backup next year. It is possible that Connolly could start at center, with Wendell as the backup.

In any case, we are looking for offensive lineman who can compete for starting and backup spots next year (at OC, RG and RT).

Now I have no illusions about Wendell. I don't think he's a top 10 C any more than I think he's the worst. At this point in time, I see him as an adequate starter. He's a player I think BB would have loved to upgrade, but is fine with having him back if he can't. I believe he didn't see that "upgrade" in the FA possibilities that were available. I don't think he saw any of the draft prospects as being able to come right in as start as rookies and be better than Wendell on a consistent basis. So that's why Wendell was re-signed.

So in reality I think we are on the same page here. The only difference is I don't see that up grade happening we are all look for happening THIS season, even if we draft the right prospect in this draft.

This could very well be true, J, but none of them look ready to take over THIS season. JMHO.

Not sold on any of the centers in this draft. While I agree it is one of the top 4 needs, I don't think we should reach with the question marks surrounding Martin and Richburg. I also think we could stand to upgrade to Connolly as well if possible.

Assuming the team don't feel Cave or Barker are answers at position could Mankins be moved to center? That would allow us to grab a top guard prospect like Su'a-Filo, Yankey, or Jackson.

Possible line combinations of:

1. Solder - Su'a-Filo/Rookie - Mankins - Cannon - Vollmer

2. Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Top G Rookie - Vollmer

3. Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Cannon - Vollmer

Which would be the best?

I believe that our best line for 2014 is Solder-Mankins-Wendell-Connolly-Vollmer

I agree with everyone that we should be using significant draft resources to find future starters at RG and C. We also need a backup OT for 2015. We are thin as it is, with Mankins as our backup LT (which works because Kline is a reasonable starting LG. Cannon will likely be gone for 2015.

I think that if Wendell were as bad as posters think, he would not have been re-signed, certainly not at what he was re-signed for. Also, we would have been more active in going after centers and guards in the off-season. If we brought in a guard, Connolly could be move to center, again if Wendell is so bad (which he is NOT).

Not sold on any of the centers in this draft. While I agree it is one of the top 4 needs, I don't think we should reach with the question marks surrounding Martin and Richburg. I also think we could stand to upgrade to Connolly as well if possible.

Assuming the team don't feel Cave or Barker are answers at position could Mankins be moved to center? That would allow us to grab a top guard prospect like Su'a-Filo, Yankey, or Jackson.

Possible line combinations of:

1. Solder - Su'a-Filo/Rookie - Mankins - Cannon - Vollmer

2. Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Top G Rookie - Vollmer

3. Solder - Mankins - Connolly - Cannon - Vollmer

Which would be the best?

Decided to try my hand at this and see what I came up with..

1.29 Jace Amaro TE - I think it'd be real hard to pass on him here, I like Niklas as a prospect as well but I think amaro would help this offense immediately in ways we haven't has since Hernandez, keeping the TE position as a viable threat with or without Gronk on the field.

2.62 Dominque Easley DT - it may be high hopes that he is still on the board at this point but would be a much needed addition to a position I think we all agree needs to be addressed.

3.93 AJ McCarron QB - Whether or not they are able to trade Mallet I like this pick, could be eased into the offense.

4.130 Jordan Zumwalt OLB - I love this kid, high motor guy that plays with a certain intensity that defenses feed off of...this kid loves the game of football...seems like a Belichick guy to me.

4.140 Craig Loston S - Big hitting safety with good instincts and acceleration, overly aggressive at times but has a certain nastiness to him that this team seems to lack from the position.

6.198 Anthony Steen OG - much needed help on the OL, could possibly be groomed to take over at the center position.

6.206 Aaron Lynch DE - boom or bust prospect, possibly best available at this point...if he decides to get serious about the game could be a steal.

7.244 Alfred Blue RB - Excels at catching the ball out of the backfield has ability and patience to run between the tackles, is being projected anywhere from the 5th to UDFA, I think he would make a great pick this late in the draft.

I believe that our best line for 2014 is Solder-Mankins-Wendell-Connolly-Vollmer

I agree with everyone that we should be using significant draft resources to find future starters at RG and C. We also need a backup OT for 2015. We are thin as it is, with Mankins as our backup LT (which works because Kline is a reasonable starting LG. Cannon will likely be gone for 2015.

I think that if Wendell were as bad as posters think, he would not have been re-signed, certainly not at what he was re-signed for. Also, we would have been more active in going after centers and guards in the off-season. If we brought in a guard, Connolly could be move to center, again if Wendell is so bad (which he is NOT).

Every team makes mistakes, including the Patriots.

Last edited:
Wendell's contract is guaranteed?? If not, signing him for 2 years seems to be prudent planning to me. I don't unequivocally slam Wendell as a player, on the contrary, I have much respect for his versatility, intelligence and toughness. My main beef is, as the ol' definition of insanity goes, doing the same thing the same way and expecting different results.Brady, more than ever, needs the time and must have the ability to move up in the pocket to have the effectiveness required in an AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Wendell is NOT a championship caliber center IMO. He is a valuable offensive lineman on a championship level team given his proven ability to adapt to different positions.

Yeah, I love to joke around and play the jackass more often then not but when I say I've LOOKED AT what I'm talking about, I mean I've taken the time and broke down every offensive play in that Denver loss. C and RG was SUB CHAMPIONSHIP level. The tape does not lie, nor does the stop watch. As good as Brady is at making quick decisions, even he is ineffective when pressured immediately through the A gaps. LOOK at the tape. We're not talking all pro DT's for the Denver Broncos here, yet they made it look like a jailbreak on almost every passing down.,..and the running attack???WHAT running attack??There WAS no interior offensive run blocking worth a damn the entire game.

Some of you insist this is not a problem. OK...I'll keep my mouth shut and see what happens. The Pats and BB MAY draft WR's and quarterbacks and more running backs and not even pick an O lineman. The first few games of the season will certainly show one way or the other whether continuing the Wendell/Connolly line intact is the right move.

Trade Mallett and pick #62 to the Texans for pick #33
Wow...that wouldn't be getting much in return for the services of Ryan Mallett, Leemo. We may as well give him away if all we'd do is move up in the 2nd round. Just my opinion but I think he offers us a lot more staying on as a backup until someone else can be properly groomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes