PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You are the new GM of the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. You have just been named the new GM of the Lions, Chiefs, 49ers, Rams, Seahawks, Bills, or Redskins.....

What do you do? What would you give up for Matt Cassel. The Patriots have told you there is a blind auction to be held, and whoever has the highest offer on the table will receive Cassel.....what do you do?

If I am the owner I hire Parcells who is going to get out of his Dolphins contract, and let Parcells do whatever he wants.

If I'm already the GM, I give up my 1st rounder for Cassel rather than go with a rookie QB, and hope I didn't get out-bid.

Ok. You have just been named the new GM of the Lions, Chiefs, 49ers, Rams, Seahawks, Bills, or Redskins.....

What do you do? What would you give up for Matt Cassel. The Patriots have told you there is a blind auction to be held, and whoever has the highest offer on the table will receive Cassel.....what do you do?

You forgot to list the JESTS among the ****ty teams that have no starting QB next year.

i would tell the jets to lick mangina's man hole before i let them obtain cassel

You forgot to list the JESTS among the ****ty teams that have no starting QB next year.

But they are not invited to the auction :yeeha:

Why does Parcells want to leave? Does he feel his work is already done?

Detriot could easily give up the Dallas first round pick for Cassel, and honestly I'll take peanuts to keep him out of the Jets hands.

All my first rounders from now till 2032

Depends, if I am the Skins, Seahawks or Chiefs, I like my QB play with Campbell, Hasselbeck (if healthy) and Thigpen, so I wouldn't even be in the bidding. I would use my picks to build other areas on the team which need improvement.

With the Lions, my main piece is Calvin Johnson, I have a solid rookie back this year who showed flashes, I could trade a first rounder for cassel, or use those picks and try to rebuild my team from the trenches out with a solid 2-3 year plan and try to compete in a few years, since Cassel won't turn me into a contender over night, so I might give Stanton (I believe thats the rookie they drafted) a chance to grow while building around him.

The other teams, I would have to do some roster research, see what I would have for players, picks, cap space etc. Some bad teams QB play isn't an issue, or if it is an issue, its because of a temporary problem, like Carolina last year, that will fix itself once injuries heal. The main teams that I think that would be looking at Cassel are San Fran, the Jets (even though we would never do business with them,) maybe Minnesota if Tavares Jackson crashes and burns in the post season, and maybe Cincy if Palmer is finished and unable to return to form, and Chicago if the don't want to deal with Orton.

Why does Parcells want to leave? Does he feel his work is already done?

His four year contract contains an out clause where if the Dolphins are sold (could happen as early as Tuesday) he gets to opt out but still collect his millions for the final three years.

I do wonder, though, if that clause does say that any money he receives from other teams offsets his guaranteed amount, that wasn't reported but it's a common type of thing. This was only reported today on the pregame shows.

Without looking at the current QB depth chart of those teams, I would have to say Detroit would be the most likely destination. So, I will be the Kittens new GM.

Reason 1 why I want Cassel: I need to instill some sort of confidence in the fan base. What better way to do that than acquire a ready-to-play QB from a highly respected franchise.
#2 Culpepper is not the future, just a stop gap
#3 NE will gladly take the lower 1st round pick (19?)
#4 That will allow a trade down of 1st overall pick for say, a slightly lower 1st, a 3rd, and maybe I could squeeze a 5th rounder out of it too, which I may be able to package w/other picks to move up in day 2.
I would use the extra picks to get OL, DL, and an impact DB/KR/PR type player.

So, my offer would be the lower 1st round pick, and depending on how many other teams were putting in a bid, I would also throw in a 5th rounder.

Last edited:
Detriot could easily give up the Dallas first round pick for Cassel, and honestly I'll take peanuts to keep him out of the Jets hands.

Very, very STRONG possibility...we are talking about Detroit, though...DUMB, DUMB, DUMB...

i know there is nothing like loyalty and its all a business but dont know why i think that given a choice , cassel wouldnt go to nyc. He owes BB and the pats a lot for giving him the chance to play in the first place without having to play in college.

If I am the new GM of the (fill in the blank) I focus on the defensive line first, then offensive line, and then linebackers, in that order. While those may be the least glamorous parts of any team, they are in my opinion the most important.

Very, very STRONG possibility...we are talking about Detroit, though...DUMB, DUMB, DUMB...

Hey, I'd be happy with the 2nd round pick of the Lions for Cassel. #33 overall! Not to bad. If I were Detriot I would then shop the #1 overall pick, pick up more draft picks and use them to build their offensive and defensive lines up.

If I am the new GM of the (fill in the blank) I focus on the defensive line first, then offensive line, and then linebackers, in that order. While those may be the least glamorous parts of any team, they are in my opinion the most important.

Suppose you're the 49ers and have been doing that, but are left with a giant gaping crater at QB?

cassel is not the answer for some 0-16 or 2-14 team........cassel's destination needs to be where QB is their primary issue.......the bears, the vikings, the seahawks or the buccaneers...........teams will be in total rebuild would be better off with a less expensive veteran, and to draft their long term plans

Suppose you're the 49ers and have been doing that, but are left with a giant gaping crater at QB?

Shaun Hill won his two starts in 07 and won at least 4 if not more games this year once he was inserted as the starter. They should stick with him and continue building the team. They are not in a strong division and could be contenders next year.

You are right. I like Cassel but if he is behind the Detroit OL he will be a chuck and duck. The Jets would be a good fit for him because they do have a running game an OL and receivers.

Cassel needs to pick the best team for him even if its a little less money. I still don't see the Pats being able to orchestrate a trade.

Pour a warm bath, slit my wrists and my femoral arteries, wait for a better world to come to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes