PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You all crack me up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownfan80 said:
We begrudged the Steelers being in the Superbowl before the game, not because they didn't deserve it, but because we don't like them. We would have done the same if the win had been legit. We'd have hated it, but given the respect where it was due. the majority here would have anyway. But with what happened it's just a joke. a sad, sick joke. I'd have been just as pissed if it had been Pitt that got jobbed. I want real football, not some set up story line that the officials ensure plays out how the NFL wants it.
Well, this probably matches what most of us feel.

It is about fair play, not about the Steelers getting an unmerited gift. In fact, if against the Colts the Steelers had been robbed the way the Seahawks were in XL, I'd be even more annoyed, I think. Then RyantheColtsFan would be accusing me of being Pro-Steeler for saying the same things that Closing Time accuses me of being Anti-Steeler.

It isn't about the team, and nothing changes the fact that the Seahawks were robbed of a title.

Part of me chuckles at Holmgren because of his antics on the competition committee a couple years ago. I think, "How do you like it, Walrus? Serves you right."

If someone had to get jobbed, I don't mind it being Holmgren, Martz, or Dungy.

But again, it doesn't change the fact the Seahawks were jobbed.

All this doesn't matter to Closing Time, of course. He knows deep down what happened and cannot enjoy his team's Lombardi unless the world somehow validates him. He needs us to say, "Yes, CT, your team won fair and square." Only then will he feel okay about the Steelers. To bad that ain't gonna happen.

> Every time Seattle had a big play, the refs threw a flag for some phantom hold.

I'm wondering: how long did it take the refs to realize it was a big play, and then throw the flag? They were thrown after the completion of the plays, right?

> Most people I have seen defending [the PI call] say that even though it was weak it was
> still technically correct.

Yeah, it was a bit weak. Personally, i think the ref was fooled by the off-balance, backward-ish motion of the defender which made it look like the receiver pushed him to create separation.

As for the Roethlisberger touchdown, all it takes is a fraction of an inch crossing the plane... which the replays make it look like it did, so, no way to overturn the call on the field. Anyways, i have a hard time believing Pittsburgh wouldn't be able to score from the 1/64 inch line.

If it wasn't called a TD, it's interesting how everyone assumes Pittsburgh wouldn't have scored from the 1/64" line, but automatically assume Seattle would've scored from the 2-yard line.

buile said:
> Every time Seattle had a big play, the refs threw a flag for some phantom hold.

I'm wondering: how long did it take the refs to realize it was a big play, and then throw the flag? They were thrown after the completion of the plays, right?

> Most people I have seen defending [the PI call] say that even though it was weak it was

Yeah, it was a bit weak. Personally, i think the ref was fooled by the off-balance, backward-ish motion of the defender which made it look like the receiver pushed him to create separation.

As for the Roethlisberger touchdown, all it takes is a fraction of an inch crossing the plane... which the replays make it look like it did, so, no way to overturn the call on the field. Anyways, i have a hard time believing Pittsburgh wouldn't be able to score from the 1/64 inch line.

If it wasn't called a TD, it's interesting how everyone assumes Pittsburgh wouldn't have scored from the 1/64" line, but automatically assume Seattle would've scored from the 2-yard line.

The Stealers couldn't do it in the Indy game to put it away.

The Gr8est said:
Some of these Steelers fans are really slow, they don't seem to get the fact that the refs screwed them bad. They had a sensational run to the Superbowl as a #6 seed with all games on the road, including winning a game against Indy that everyone thinks the NFL wanted Indy to win.

Then to have their win tarnished by the refs does them a great disservice. Only the most ignorant or obstinate Steelers fan doesn't see that yet.

They should be more pissed at the refs than we are.

Actually, I ran into a Steeler fan at the office today (surrounded in his cube by ridiculous World Champion paraphenelia) and he was pissed at the refs. His theory -- the refs had tained a game that the Steelers would have won anyway.

Great post CT and even greater retorts concerning your view that we as Patriot fans are tarnishing your beloved Super Bowl victory.

Listening to your ramble on and on reminds me of every ballbag I knew as a kid who banged some fat planet of a chick and insisted she was hot looking. Keep telling yourself that was a great victory for the Steelers/lingerie model you banged.

Your team had an historic run to get to the Super Bowl and won it thanks to the refs; deal with it and move on. The sad thing for you Stooler fans is your team probably would have won the game anyway, but we'll never know that and as a result, your victory will forever have an * next to it............

Double G,

The Squealers should be thanking their lucky stars that they escaped Detroit with the championship considering the ineptitude shown by both the Seahawks and the referees. They hardly played impressively, the way a team should look when winning a title. How ironic is it that this clown ClosingTime is in pure denial over the facts of this game when he's constantly here discrediting the Patriots championship seasons of 2001 and 2003, as if he needs to be the spokesman for all the crybabies (i.e., Faiders, Lambs, Dolts) of the football world. I hope this Squealers victory puts an end to all this silliness about the 2001 Patriots being the "worst" championship team ever (not that they ever deserved this slam), because the 2005 Squealers are easily the least impressive of all.

Last edited:
C2C,
Don't you love it when trolls rail on and on about how our win in 2001 was tarnished, yet when the shoe is on the other foot, they come up with 10,000 reasons why theirs was not. The Stoolers "one for the thumb" was the most pathetic "Victory" in Super Bowl history.

The Stoolers entire offense consisted of a touchdown that wasn't, a 75 yard TD run and a gadget play that worked. The Seachickens blew the game and despite the refs, they still had a shot, down 14 to 10 and driving, when coconut head threw the pic, ballgame.....................

Sorry if this is old news.

buile said:

Catching a ball in the endzone is a pretty clear and immediate indication that a big play has occured.

FYI: Offensive pass interference:

"Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.
(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.
(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field"

The light touch of Jackson's hand on Hope's chest doesn't rise to the level of pushing, let alone shoving -- but either way, he's not the one who initiated contact. And when you look at Hope's position on the field, his movement away from Jackson at the "push" is clearly the result of his momentum, not of any push. (The keys are Hope's body angle -- his feet are what moved back, not his upper torso which is what would be the case, had there been a real push -- and his center of gravity relative to the field.)

The thing that made the Ben TD such a farce is the way it was called. The ref only called it once he saw Ben reach across the goal line after he was flat on the ground.

Attachments

• BadCallsmall.JPG
    BadCallsmall.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 66
the only reason the steelers won it this year is because they side stepped the patriots. thank the broncos, in fact share the title with them, had the patriots won that game, and they have every chance to, you would be going threw another long offseason of trying to figure out how to beat the patriots. tom brady owns the steelers in the playoffs, its that simple. it was like the year the rockets won in the nba, they should not in the record books that jordan was sitting out.

Hey, if the Seahawks had lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl, due to being outplayed by the Patriots, I would have nothing but respect for the Patriots (once the emotional sting from the loss wore off. And i'd have respect for the Steelers, too, if their "win" hadn't been so... assisted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back