Welcome to PatsFans.com

Yet another Obama lobbyist cabinet appointment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Feb 5, 2009.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

CIA Nominee Panetta Received $700,000 in Fees - WSJ.com

I guess his no lobbyists pledge is worth about as much as anything else he said to get elected....

Besides, being completed unqualified for the job, he took OUR TAX MONEY FROM THE IDIOT TARP BAILOUT

WASHINGTON -- The White House's nominee for Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Leon Panetta, has earned more than $700,000 in speaking and consulting fees since the beginning of 2008, with some of the payments coming from troubled financial firms and from a firm that invests in contractors for federal national security agencies, according to financial disclosures released Wednesday.

Mr. Panetta received $56,000 from Merrill Lynch & Co. for two speeches and $28,000 for a speech for Wachovia Corp., according to disclosures released ahead of Thursday's scheduled Senate hearing on Mr. Panetta's nomination.

Both Merrill and Wachovia reported big losses last year and were acquired by larger firms. The Wachovia honorarium was dated Oct. 30, and the last Merrill Lynch honorarium was dated Oct. 11, according to disclosure forms filed by Mr. Panetta in connection with his nomination. At the time, Bank of America had agreed to a rescue of Merrill Lynch; Wachovia had agreed to be acquired by Wells Fargo & Co.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

Barack Hussein Obama, he's filling his administration with Has Beens, Tax Cheats and Clinton Creeps.

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Do you know what a lobbyist is?...I mean, as opposed to a consultant or someone who is giving a speech?

4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

Another excuse, huh?

"I'm not a democrat"
    :rofl:

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Damn. I can't believe how much people are paid to give a speech these days. Harry Boy, you should try to get in on that gravy train pal!

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

They'd "Ban Me"----------:banned:

7. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

from the article:

The former White House chief of staff's disclosure form also shows the delicate balance President Barack Obama is trying to strike -- trying to curb the influence of lobbyists, while relying on Washington veterans who often help clients navigate the halls of power. Mr. Panetta's forms show that he performed government affairs consulting last year and also sat on the board of a public affairs firm that lobbies Congress. Like Mr. Daschle, who also worked for a firm with lobbying clients, Mr. Panetta doesn't violate Mr. Obama's ban on hiring registered lobbyists.

In the immortal words of TO, if it walks like a lobbyist, talks like a lobbyists, and gets paid by lobbyists, IT'S A LOBBYIST!!!

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Thanks for coming in.:snob:
    THat was brilliant!

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No it isn't.
    I'm not happy with Obama's selections. I just don't think Ponetta's a lobbyist. The punk in Treasury is much closer. I can't believe Obama is stupid enough to put the fox in the henhouse. You would think that post would have been more scrutinized than any other. I don't get how he slid so easily.