Welcome to PatsFans.com

Yet another example of liberals deneying freedom of speech..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ELOrocks17, May 5, 2006.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

2. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

liberals=anti-american=terrorists. Kill us all, I say.
  3. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No one is "deneying [sic] freedom of speech" to anyone. She is completely free to express her viewpoints elsewhere.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Their hate is destroying them, they can't hide it anymore, they still can't handle "Losing", twice.

This is a "good thing" they are doing to Rice, it shows the people what they are (double standard phony's).

They never want you to hear any side but their side, if you are not one of them then you are a simple minded child that needs to be guided.

If a right wing group treated Maxine Waters in the same manner the Screaming and Wailing of RACISM would be deafining from the Liberal Media.

The "New Far Left Democrats" are self destructing.
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

The truth needs repeating, so they won't forget at the polls.
  6. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Uh...so what you are saying is that free speech only applies to people you agree with? If you have a discenting opinion, you have no right to speak? Is that what what your saying NEM??
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

:D Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...:rocker:
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

To a liberal, free speech all depends on who is giving the speech.
  9. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't usually post in this forum, but I was just about to post the same thing. Isn't speech that may offend others exactly what the concept that free speech is supposed to protect?

By the way, in a similar vein, isn't political correctness a backdoor way of stifling free speech? I notice many news outlets are not calling "illegal aliens" and "illegal immigrants" by those terms. They use terms like "undocumented workers."

Likewise, I can not refer to people as "gluttons", they are now people with "eating disorders", or I cannot refer to someone as a "junkie", they have a "chemical dependency".

Terms like these define the person in question as a victim, instead of someone who has caused their own problems, or in the case of the 'illegal aliens" committed a crime, and of course victims have no behavior to be responsible for.

I will be considered insensitive if I couch any of these issues in non-politically correct terms. I may even be prosecuted for hate speech.

Free speech is on it's death bed, and the country is in real danger of going down the tubes with it.
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  10. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's true. The use of politically correct words is HIGHLY likely to stop the rest of us trading with you or telling you to take your military and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. You'll be a fourth world country a year after a whiney, America hating, liberal president takes over.

BTW, for every silly example of PC, there is one which actually makes sense. There are some invented ones, which 99% of people ignore, even liberals. I work in a very liberal profession and NOT ONCE have I heard the terms Vertically Challenged, or Differently Abled, being used- literally never.
    BTW Eating Disorders and Greed are two different things. Eating disorders cover a range of things, which have a number of different reasons . For a good example of how changing descriptive terms can be positive, it is because of what at the time was considered PC that we no longer refer to black people as N******.
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The students are champions of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech says that the state will not deny people that freedom, but individuals have the right to use their own freedom of speech to try to persuade others to rescind the invitation to Rice. I'm sure those who want to hear Hillary and Bill Clinton speak have been "victims" of similar assaults.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think it's all part of free speech. Reagan for awhile nearly took the word "liberal" out of our lexicon. He successfully defined liberals in such absurd ways, that many liberals felt embarrassed by the term and switched to the word "progressive." On the one hand, you can say that Reagan stifled free speech; but on the other, it's simply the way the free market of our language works.

I think American English (sorry Gomezcat) is the greatest language in history because it creates a democratic playing ground for words and happily takes any word that any language will give it, from chutzpah to hari-kari to chow mein to slalom. The reason some PC terms are more successful than others, I think, is that people are more sensitive to some issues than others. We don't use the word "fat," because it sounds rude, and thanks to the PC movement most of us don't accept calling a woman a "b!tch." As far as "eating disorder," and "chemically dependent" go, I think it depends on the situation. If I had a drug addict friend, I'd probably use the word "junkie"; on the other hand, if my father was addicted to pain medication, I would use the term "chemically dependent."
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Here's another one, It's MaCain this time,
    http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/05/05/mccain

THEIR HYPOCRISY AND HATRED GETS WORSE EACH DAY, THEY ARE "RUNNING SCARED".

Allowing a Conservative their right to freedom of speech is a THREAT to their Looney Agenda's.
  14. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Apology accepted! I've noticed that one or two people on here use Anglicised spellings every now and then for words like rumour and favour, so you're not all bad! :D

In all seriousness, the huge majority of the world's native English speakers are American, so there would be something wrong if the language, in its many forms, didn't reflect that. We have become more Americanised, using phrases like "it sucks", "resume" (as in career resume) and "you're fired", trash and so on. Such words were unheard of thirty years ago.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Ebonics is the way to go :bricks:
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There is absolutely nothing going on in this country that is "reminiscent of what happened in Nazi Germany in the 1930's" if you are an intelligent, educated individual that actually knows what happened in Nazi Germany in the 1930's.

I guess in your world, George Bush giving speeches to favorable crowds equates to killing millions of Jews. Yeah... gotta say I find your point of view to be disgusting and morally reprehensible.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

There is no hater on the planet today like a sore losing "Bush Hater"
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think if you're Arab or an immigrant you probably have some cause to be nervous. For certain groups there's probably a little bit of the same feeling that German Jews felt in the mid-1920s. But, even though we've done some bad things (illegal wiretaps, arresting people without due process, torture), it's highly unlikely that we'll get much, if any, worse. Americans today really are more civilized than the Germans were 100 years ago.
  19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

And yet immigrants are still arriving here literally by the truckload...

I agree... but feel it is worth mentioning that Abraham Lincoln did many of the same things (albeit the 18th Century equivalent) with regards to suspending due process.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

The Arabs or Illegal Aliens don't have to worry in America, if a Cop gives them a dirty look the Cop goes to jail and the Alien gets a free car.

When is the last time an Arab or an Alien has been beaten up or hanged.

If the Illegal Aliens feel the same as the Jews did in Germany why the hell don't they stay in Mexico.

If Arabs feel uneasy then they should get word to their Homeland not to let any of them to come over and slaughter us.

NO MORE FLYING LESSONS FOR ARABS.
  21. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Story in Tampa Newspaper

WILL we still be the country of choice and still be America IF we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????
    Think about it .

All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings........ It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I AM now being Offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
    This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an
    American citizen, published in a
    Tampa newspaper!

IMMIGRANTS,
    NOT AMERICANS,
    MUST ADAPT.
    I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
    are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on
    Sept. 11,
    we have experienced a surge
    in patriotism by the majority
    of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had
    barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about
    the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there
    are a few things that those
    who have recently come to
    our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a
    multicultural community
    has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our
    own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH , not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
    Therefore, if you wish to become part
    of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,
    on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.
    It is certainly appropriate to display it
    on the walls of our schools. If God
    offends you, then I suggest you
    consider another part of the world as
    your new home, because God is part
    of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or
    you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
    should seriously consider a move
    to another part of this planet. We
    are happy with our culture and have
    no desire to change, and we really
    don't care how you did things where
    you came from. This is
    OUR COUNTRY,
    our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
    right to express his opinion and we
    will allow you every opportunity to do so.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
    our pledge, our national motto, or our
    way of life, I highly encourage you
    take advantage of one other great American freedom,
    THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
    It is Time for America to Speak up
  22. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

In a way this "Illegal Alien Thing" is good, it is waking America up as to what has slowly been happening in this country.

With the help of some of those "Crazy Liberal Neo Dems" in Washington little by little America is being "dumbed down" and America's culture is being attacked.
    The American "Silent People" are now stirring, they won't sit still for this pandering left wing slobbering liberal bullsh!t. They never have.

America will rise again, thanks to the Illegal Aliens and the Arabs that slaughtered 3000 in two hours on 9/11.

All liberals should consider moving to France or Cuba, because "the neo cons are coming" :rocker:
  23. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So there's a state sponsored program in effect that dictates that all Arabs and immigrants are to be brought by train to camps to be exterminated/worked to death and have experiments performed on them?

Is that why they keep coming and coming and coming here?

You'd think they'd all be like rats abandoning a sinking ship wouldnt you?
  24. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Patters is utterly insane. Its painfully obvious that he has absolutely no love for this country based on what he just said. He has turned into an Arab apologist. how sad.
  25. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I started reading...then noticed it was NewsMax. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
  26. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well, you must have missed the part at the beginning of the article that you "started to read" that said that it was a REPRINT for the Boston College newspaper. Nice excuse though.
  27. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's yet another example of liberals denying you the right to free speech, wouldn't you say? I have some questions for you. If liberals are so good at denying free speech, then why do any of us come on here to debate with you when we could all go to Democratic Underground?
    How do Republicans win so many elections if liberals are so good at denying free speech? How do you get to post on here without getting banned, given that the base of the board is in liberal New England?
    Why does Fox News continue to flourish? How does Ann Coulter manage to get her point across? What about the Drudge Report, Newsmax and so on? If we are so good at denying free speech, why do the majority of Americans POLL PUBLICLY as being anti gay marriage, pro death penalty, anti more immigration and anti abortion?

Finally, if you believe in freedom of speech, then why don't you allow Osama bin Ladin to come to New York, preach Death to America and pay for his security? What about the rights of paedophiles to go onto national TV and preach their message?

ELO, I'm being facetious, but I'm making two points here. One is that liberals deny freedom of speech much less than you like to think and the other is that sometimes it is necessary to do so.
  28. Patters

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Turd, I was making a comparison to early 1920s Germany, when there was not a state sponsored program, but anti-semitism was on the rise. Actually, I don't know the immigration numbers, but I do know that many Arabs have left the U.S. since 9/11 because of harassment and prejudice. You've probably never experienced what it's like to be a minority, so I'm not surprised you can't relate to my point. As I said, I don't think Arabs have anything to worry about here, but I can understand why some of them are a little nervous.
  29. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Its a little different--Jews did not fly 2 planes into 2 German buildings in the 20's. Arabs di on 9-11. To say that we are racist for bieng angry at Arabs is just foolish.
  30. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    Sorry to inject rational thought into this topic but the profs are objecting to Condi because her actions are allegedly against Cathholic doctrine.

"They contend that her support for the "tragic war in Iraq ... cannot be justified in light of the moral values of the Catholic tradition or the norms of international law." For these reasons, they object to her speaking and honoring at BC's 2006 commencement."

Without opening up the can of worms regarding Iraq, Catholic Doctrine definitively supports the concept of a 'just war'. The debate would be productive were it really centered on that issue and not on Rice as a key member of the irrationally hated Bush admin.

But everyone here except the rabid partisans knows that this is simply a disengenuous political move by the profs. BC has featured many speakers antithetical to Catholic Doctrine, e.g. supporters of abortion. It's a ploy by the whining left, not a serious moral objection. What hypocrites.