PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yesterday was a personal smackdown of Al Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamo

praedica numerum!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am surprised that I haven't seen much, even in the thread about Belichick throwing the challenge flag, pointing out how badly the Patriots individually and as a team wanted to show Al Davis up. There is great animosity between the organizations and their fans.

Al Davis gave that press conference in September where he accused Kraft and Belichick of tampering with Randy Moss. It's no mistake that Belichick threw the challenge flag, he wanted Davis to stew a little longer. Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan were dumped by the Raiders after PR campaigns to make them look washed up, it's no surprise they were playing hard and did a little strutting. And add that to years of complaints about the Tuck Game...

I think the Cassel situation, plus the Patriots' playoff drive, distracted people from what was really happening. I think animosity towards the Raiders was a much bigger factor than the Favre-style "big game after personal loss" theme. The Patriots would never admit it, but I think they are saying to themselves that even if they miss the playoffs, they can at least feel very good about this game.

Last edited:
Good write-up although it was on my mind coming into the game I never once thought of it like that.

Its always promising to see some sign of emotion from Belichick, no matter how well hidden it is.

I am surprised that I haven't seen much, even in the thread about Belichick throwing the challenge flag, pointing out how badly the Patriots individually and as a team wanted to show Al Davis up. There is great animosity between the organizations and their fans.

Al Davis gave that press conference in September where he accused Kraft and Belichick of tampering with Randy Moss. It's no mistake that Belichick threw the challenge flag, he wanted Davis to stew a little longer. Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan were dumped by the Raiders after PR campaigns to make them look washed up, it's no surprise they were playing hard and did a little strutting. And add that to years of complaints about the Tuck Game...

I think the Cassel situation, plus the Patriots' playoff drive, distracted people from what was really happening. I think animosity towards the Raiders was a much bigger factor than the Favre-style "big game after personal loss" theme. The Patriots would never admit it, but I think they are saying to themselves that even if they miss the playoffs, they can at least feel very good about this game.

Absolutely! I agree. You're also correct when you say, the Pats would never admit it. I'd go so far as to say, if asked, they'd deny it. However, if you're human, the Davis rantings have to affect them. This one tasted sweet to them.

I kept waiting for the camera to go to Davis right after each TD, but they did'nt.
Davis must have been irate.

There's already a thread on this but I thought you had to throw the challenge because that was a 4th down play and it would have pulled your defense off the field.

It was nice to see Moss torch his old team. We robbed the Raiders blind on that deal. Randy Freaking Moss for a 4th round pick!!! :singing:

Last edited:
I don't think it's any of this philosophical lunch-meat. Bill tells his team to play for 60 minutes. He coaches the same. It's not like they were unfairly air-balling it with a big lead, just playing smart situational football. The situation is that our D is weak and we need to be aggressive on offense because we can sink fast when other teams get on the field. After a lead is established, slow the game down. That's what we saw. That philosophy of playing wire to wire is the only reason we're still in it after a close call with the Seahawks.

yea, that second challenge was funny...

the refs were laughing after bb threw the flag

funny, but unprofessional on their part

yea, that second challenge was funny...

the refs were laughing after bb threw the flag

funny, but unprofessional on their part

Yeah you know they were giving him **** over it.

It was a middle finger firmly extended in the direction of Mr. Davis, and though I normally don't worry about such things, I did enjoy it profusely :D

Excellent Post and great points! Now, let's figure out some reasons for hating, detesting, despising, loathing the Cardinals!

I'll start: Lets show Kurt Warner that we can get inside his head even more and beat him even worse than we did in XXXVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes