Welcome to PatsFans.com

Yes, We Are - A Promise Kept

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Mosul, Iraq (CNN) -- The last U.S. brigade combat team in Iraq has left the country, a move that helps U.S. President Barack Obama reach his goal of 50,000 troops in the country by September 1.

Their departure leaves about 56,000 U.S. troops in the country, according to the U.S. military.

Capt. Christopher Ophardt, spokesman for the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, said the last of the 4,000 members of the unit crossed the border into Kuwait early Thursday.

A few hundred members stayed behind to finish administrative and logistical duties but will fly out of Baghdad later Thursday, Ophardt said.

More than 90,000 U.S. troops have left Iraq in the past 18 months.

We're keeping the promise that we've made when I began my campaign for the presidency," Obama said Wednesday in Columbus, Ohio, where he was attending a Democratic fundraiser. "By the end of this month ... our combat mission will be over in Iraq."

Last U.S. combat convoy has left Iraq - CNN.com
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

This is like the biggest farce going. You're either in a country with your military, or you're not. When this was agreed to back in 2008, I said we'd keep a force of 50,000 or so to act as a crutch for the government. Low and behold that's exactly what we're doing. Whether these soldiers are patrolling the streets, or patrolling the desert, they're still there. Choice words like this, or disengenuous descriptions of reality, only serve to appease the ADD public, who read a headline, or get their info via a news flash, between Batchlorette segments. BTW, we're going to be there for a while.
  3. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This can only mean war with Iran/imminent false flag is very soon - you can betch these troops will be put back in action very soon.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup! Just as he promised, Obama has gotten all the American troops out of Iraq! Well, except for the ones still there that is.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yes, exactly as he promised, WP. Glad we agree on something.

“I said that I would remove our combat troops from Iraq in 16 months, with the understanding that it might be necessary — likely to be necessary — to maintain a residual force to provide potential training, logistical support, to protect our civilians in Iraq,” Mr. Obama said this week as he introduced his national security team.

Publicly at least, Mr. Obama has not set a firm number for that “residual force,” a phrase certain to become central to the debate on the way ahead in Iraq, though one of his national security advisers, Richard Danzig, said during the campaign that it could amount to 30,000 to 55,000 troops

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/us/politics/04military.html
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, I am glad we agree that his actions are empty ones and it is absurd to make like we've left Iraq when clearly that is not the case. There's hope for you yet.

Like I said... all American troops are now officially out of Iraq. Except for the ones which aren't.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

We left troops in Germany, we left them in Korea... what is not metioned here is that this was a mess created by the former president based on lies... lies that led to the death of 4287 service men and women, over 30K injured and innumerable suffering from PTSDT... lies that led to the death of over 100K women and children(collateral damage)...

IMO we should just leave the country, but from a political standpoint if Obama did pull the troops he would be called someone who surrendered.. it is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't agruments...

We need the remaining forces to protect our oil:D:D:D
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

I love the right wing spin machine. "You're in a country or you're not." Puh-lease. If you're going from 170,000 to 50,000, that's 120,000 that ain't in the country. That's a withdrawl of more than 2/3 of all troops, it is keeping the president's promise,[/i] and it is absolutely significant in that it marks the end of the U.S. combat role.

The presence of the 30-50K does mean that we can spark that bad boy right back up if we feel like it, and that worries me.

Why? Because Iraq is not the bastion of stability we paint it as, and was never going to be.

There's plenty left to fight over, and there's no Saddam in control, jailing or killing anybody who disagrees. At the slightest hint of trouble the chickenhawks will be back out in force (farce,) claiming it is a horrible terrible mistake for the U.S. to have ever withdrawn.

So today you're all waving your peace signs and digging the tie-dyes out of the attic, I take it.

It's all or nothing! You're either in a country or you're not!

What horse sh1t. Take it over to the echo chamber where someone believes that you're actually in favor of ending this war -- caused for no good reason by the Neocons -- in the first place.

Yet another way to get blamed for cleaning up the mess Bush left.

PFnV
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Saddam and his demented sons are Dead, no more throwing people off rooftops and making their families watch, no more gassing women and little children, no more torturing, no more sodomizing little girls by the Saddam Sons and making the parents watch, no more SADDAM.

Uncle Teddy
    John Fonda Kerry
    Pant Suit Hillary
    Billy Blue Dress
    Albert (horny) Gore
    Congress
    The Senate
    To Name Just A Few all said "Saddam Has To Go For The Good Of The World"

SO BUSH GOT RID OF HIM

The whole world knew Saddam had WMD's he used them in front of of the whole world on his own people, but then the slick old bastard got rid of them, he laughed from his grave.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +159 / 7 / -13

I am glad to see Obama is stick to the framework established by Bush after the surge suceeded in 2008.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Ah yes, THE SURGE they hate to mention that one shhhhhhhh.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yep, we are. Just like we still have 53,960 troops still in Germany, 35,688 still in Japan and 28,500 still in Korea.

Go figure.

I suppose we're still at war with those countries, too, right?
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

US in Germany is by treaty.

US in Japan(really meaning Okinawa) is there by treaty and are there at the behest of the Japanese government for Japan's defense.

US in Korea is by treaty reiterated dozens of times over the decades thanks to the neighbor to the north. Permanent demand on US by Korea is set at 28,000 troops.

Amazing how little things like facts can shoot down arguments. End of warfare has nothing to do wit

Korean war officially never ended but don't let that fact get in the way of your ignorance.
  14. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup
    10char
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

Horse sh1t is the diarea you spew in here, on a daily basis. First of all, this policy was agreed to well before Obama even took office. So it's nice to see he's keeping a "promise" that George Bush made. Second, the Iraq war is the one people like you, and Obama, despised. It's the war so many protested, called illegal, and demanded come to an end immediately. Suddenly, "bringing our troops home", or "ending this war", amounts to "going from 170,000 to 50,000, that's 120,000 that ain't in the country. That's a withdrawl of more than 2/3 of all troops". :rolleyes: What a fraud you are. If this were Bush or McLame drawing down to 50,000, you'd be the first tool in here screaming about how they all need to leave ASAP.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

Look, I'm glad we're drawing down. I predicted this would be the road travelled, well before you ever started posting here. I even had the surge pegged before it happened. That being said, attempting to compare an unpopular, and chosen war in Iraq, to a world war that morphed into the Cold War, is flawed to say the least. Iraq is no where near the same level of war as are those you mentioned. If you personally feel that it is, by way of need, popularity, or justification, then that would mean you support by default. That is no where near the case. Again now, I understand the reason for having a support force in Iraq. It's smart, and necessary to have on there. However, for those who were so vehemently opposed to this war, and have all the while been demanding an end to it, I can't help but point out the hypocracy you all show, by celebrating, and defending, the existence of 50,000+ troops inside that country.

I do love how for so many, the defense of their position is "well so and so has one".
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Just wanted to point out that, since I, personally, have only been here for a year or so, you have absolutally no idea of how "I" felt about anything back in 2003, do you?
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

And if I had a crystal ball like you do, I'd be able to say, with a straight face, that if this were Bush or McLame drawing down to 50,000, you'd be the first one in here celebrating the fact, patting them and yourself on the back in the process, and crowing about how we'd "won."
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Lets see how this works.. Bush starts a war based on blatant lies, 4k+ american soldiers are killed, 30K+ are injured, the complete Iraqi infrastructure is destroyed and about 100K women and children are killed (collateral damage)... no one mentions the "legacy" costs of this war....

Now the right is having a circle jerk because Bush started the surge.. this WTF moment is brought to you by some folks who have lost their grip on reality... there would be no need for a surge if there were not lies...

Take it for what it is worth, a significant drawdown... personally we should just leave and let them figure it out...
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +159 / 7 / -13

Your premise and conclusions are wrong.