PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes or No... Do the Patriots make the Superbowl this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAKE the Superbowl?? Making it doesn't mean £€#+^ ......unless you're a Jets fan.

Pats win it all this year and return to the top where they belong!

I do think we can make it if our team becomes a complete team. Notice how we've failed to win it all the past few years.
2011- Pass defense
2010-No pass rush, No deep threat.
2009-Defense too old, going through transition.
2008-Injuries, and more injuries
2007-The only exception where our team was all around good enough, but the perfect season thing got to the best of us.
2006-Reche Caldwell, Brady had no one to throw to.
2005-Worn out from past SB runs, our SB hangover year.
2004-Won Super Bowl
2003-Won Super Bowl
2002-Another case of a Super Bowl hangover, team wasn't quite complete yet.
2001- Team may not have been quite complete but came together to beat the odds.

As you can tell, the only times we've really had a true opportunity to win the Super Bowl were when the Pats were a complete team. (01 03-04 07) However, I think in the postseason last year our D-Backfield came together a bit to help us reach the Super Bowl, but they didn't do enough to win it.

So basically what I'm saying here is our team will only be able to win it all if they become complete. Offensively and defensively. Are we complete as a team?? Maybe.

I disagree with your assessment. I will argue that only 2004 the Pats were a complete team. In 2001, the defense was great and the offense just really wasn't asked to lose. In 2003, the Pats had one of the most underrated defenses in league history and the offense was mediocre.

In all of the Pats' Super Bowls, you can point to one or two plays (or at least no more than a handful) which could have made the difference in the Pats winning and losing. In 2001, 2003, and 2004 the Pats were on the right side of those plays and 2007 and last year they were on the wrong side. Are you going to argue that it was because of the winning teams were complete and the losing teams weren't?

Sorry, but I would say that the 2003 team and the 2007 team were mirror opposites of each other. One had an amazing defense and middle of the pack offense and the other had an amazing offense and a middle of the pack defense.

Unfortunately I'm going to say "No" simply because of how rarely it happens and how things change so quickly in the NFL, as well as "any given sunday" and that crap.

That being said, I think they have a better chance of getting back there than the team that won last season.

This team is built to win it all now,and i think we have a potential defense that can do it and the offense should be unstoppable..Superbowl or bust.:D

I unfortuneatly would have to say No......The odds of making it back to the big dance in back to back seasons are not good. My feeling is that the Pats won't WIN another SB during the TB era....and prob the BB era as well. It took them basically 5 years to get back to the SB after 2007......I would imagine it will take close to that to make it back there again. By that time, as hard as it is for me to even think about, TB (and most likely BB) will be out of Foxboro. It just takes so many things to go right. There is luck involved....there are injuries that happen late in the season...there is the Cinderella factor....or the team that comes in 9-7 and catches fire etc etc...

Anyways, it is irrelevant if they just MAKE it back to the SB....they need to WIN the next one!!!!!!
I say Yes.

Ravens lost their DPOY in Suggs.

Steelers lost Aaron Smith, Farrior, and Hines Ward. James Harrison and Polamalu have been steadily slowing down.

Colts are done for now. Chargers are annual disappointments.

Broncos might be a threat, but they aren't elite. Peyton has done less, with more talent around him.

Texans are the only real competition in the AFC IMO.

I unfortuneatly would have to say No......The odds of making it back to the big dance in back to back seasons are not good. My feeling is that the Pats won't WIN another SB during the TB era....and prob the BB era as well. It took them basically 5 years to get back to the SB after 2007......I would imagine it will take close to that to make it back there again. By that time, as hard as it is for me to even think about, TB (and most likely BB) will be out of Foxboro. It just takes so many things to go right. There is luck involved....there are injuries that happen late in the season...there is the Cinderella factor....or the team that comes in 9-7 and catches fire etc etc...

Anyways, it is irrelevant if they just MAKE it back to the SB....they need to WIN the next one!!!!!!

Interesting that after making it to 5 in 11 years, you feel a 5 year (and longer) drought is to be expected.
By the way it did not take them 5 years to get back after 2007. They missed THREE times.
All of the 'difficulty factors' you listed, such as injuries and bad luck were also there in those 11 years.
Its not really a point to argue, but I found your answer very interestingly pessimistic.

I do think we can make it if our team becomes a complete team. Notice how we've failed to win it all the past few years.
2011- Pass defense
2010-No pass rush, No deep threat.
2009-Defense too old, going through transition.
2008-Injuries, and more injuries
2007-The only exception where our team was all around good enough, but the perfect season thing got to the best of us.
2006-Reche Caldwell, Brady had no one to throw to.
2005-Worn out from past SB runs, our SB hangover year.
2004-Won Super Bowl
2003-Won Super Bowl
2002-Another case of a Super Bowl hangover, team wasn't quite complete yet.
2001- Team may not have been quite complete but came together to beat the odds.

As you can tell, the only times we've really had a true opportunity to win the Super Bowl were when the Pats were a complete team. (01 03-04 07) However, I think in the postseason last year our D-Backfield came together a bit to help us reach the Super Bowl, but they didn't do enough to win it.

So basically what I'm saying here is our team will only be able to win it all if they become complete. Offensively and defensively. Are we complete as a team?? Maybe.

Its a pretty safe, yet inane argument to say we only win with complete teams then list all the teams and state 'SB winner' or list a flaw.
The 2003 team had Antowain Smith at RB. It was almost definitely the worst running offense the Patriots have had since 2000.
The 2001 team had Fred Coleman at WR, a rag tag group thrown together on defense that included Otis Smith and Tebucky Jones STARTING in the secondary, a fossilized Bryan Cox at LB, aging journeyman Anthony Pleasant starting on the DL alongside never was Brandon Mitchell. Of course we had Hot Rod Rutledge stretching the field at TE:rolleyes:
The OL had a C who couldn't shot gun snap, we won SBs with Adrian Klemm, Tom Ashworth and Russ Hochstein starting on the OL.
The 2004 team used a WR at cornerback.

Every team is flawed. To state the flaw of one that didn't win a SB, and not state the ones of the teams that did, and conclude you must be flawless to win a SB is akin to lining up 20 hot women, pointing out the 12 that have blue eyes and saying the other 8 are not hot, and concluding you must have blue eyes to be hot.

No. Not if they continue to break bodies on their nasty turf practice fields

Unless I've missed something in the "do not do" section, this should be ok. If it's not, mods please delete:

Odds to win 2013 AFC Championship
Team Odds
New England Patriots 2/1
Houston Texans 4/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 6/1
Denver Broncos 6/1
Baltimore Ravens 6/1
New York Jets 13/1
San Diego Chargers 13/1
Kansas City Chiefs 15/1
Cincinnati Bengals 18/1
Buffalo Bills 20/1
Miami Dolphins 20/1
Tennessee Titans 20/1
Oakland Raiders 20/1
Indianapolis Colts 45/1
Cleveland Browns 50/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 50/1

It's not perfect, and there are some that I'd definitely move (Denver is badly overvalued, IMO), but it's not a bad reflection of the AFC teams overall, IMO.

Yes. Only if healthy. The offensive line needs to keep Brady on his feet and the defense will have to improve from last year, which I think it will. Now that there are vertical threats in the receiving, it's gonna mess up other teams' plans to play man coverage to try to slow down the offense. With the already great underneath attack to Welker and the tight ends, the only way to stop the offense is to keep Brady and company off the field and of course, get some intense pressure.

Ravens will take a step back this year, Steelers will be ok, Texans will be right there too and the Broncos have too many holes on the team. A surprise team could be Kansas City if they stay healthy and the talent performs to their ability.

I don't see a reason why any other team in the AFC can beat out a loaded and healthy New England team in the postseason.

that **** hurts my eyes

Yea and add into that the fact that the content of the post itself is completely inane. Blaming the refs for the D last year? Our RB corps deepest in the AFC? Vereen better than McCoy? Pretty much everyone is a future pro-bowler including Marcus Cannon? Woodhead is not well known because he's white?

That's the kind of post I would expect to see a NYJ fan write about their own team. We're better than that guys...

Also..."Gaints"...really?

I'm going to give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are no older than 12.

Last edited:
Not many people openly proclaim that they are strictly bandwagon fans. Not sure whether to congratulate you or feel sorry for you. :eek:

Bandwagon? lol. It's just that my expectations for this team are as high as they've ever been.

The Pats were a Gronkowski injury away from winning it all last year. BB just hauled in a monster defensive draft and has been in the process of re-building the defense for the last three years. He's brought in so much talent at the WR position it's almost embarrassing. The AFC is the weakest it's been in a decade.

I feel sorry for the fans that are letting the disappointments of the past few years get the better of their judgment. :rolleyes:

I'll concur with those who agree that the Pats have better odds than anyone in the AFC to get there in 2012 (the Vegas sharps agree), and one game is one game. The whole "Super Bowl Losers' Curse" thing is ridiculous, the same applies to the winners, aka, the "Super Bowl Hangover." It's all just variance and nonsense. The Pats are in a small group of teams primed to compete heavily again for the Lombardi. As a fan that's all you can ask for ... the best odds.

I still wish this question was never asked at this time of year. Or any time, really. Have we not learned enough as a fanbase to project?

And on a sadder note, why is "making the Super Bowl?" the base question? Shouldn't it be winning it? This is like Jets fans making a thread titled, "Do we make the AFCCG game again this season?" How ******* pathetic. We're playing down to our most recent accomplishments just like they do.

Last edited:
Sure, I think we look at Houston as our biggest competition, but let me put it this way....

I think all Houston fans are scared at the prospect of facing the Pats.

Odds are, YES, they will make it back. Hopefully the OL will hold up and the D actually improves (sures looks like they improved on paper).

And if they do go back, hopefully they seal the deal. 3 L in a row in the big game will be :bricks:

Only if they win the AFCC :D

I say Yes.

Ravens lost their DPOY in Suggs.

Steelers lost Aaron Smith, Farrior, and Hines Ward. James Harrison and Polamalu have been steadily slowing down.

Colts are done for now. Chargers are annual disappointments.

Broncos might be a threat, but they aren't elite. Peyton has done less, with more talent around him.

Texans are the only real competition in the AFC IMO.

who in their right mind in this forum would say no ... seriously ... thread is lame.

No. Not if they continue to break bodies on their nasty turf practice fields

And we have a winner in the Biggest Douchebag Post contest. Congratulations Fred, you continue to put distance between you and the rest of the pack in these categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back