YES - New CBA Agreement Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://browns.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=2&c=502826

An NFL source has told Scout.com that the 2006 salary cap will be announced on Monday, February 27. 2006's cap, according to this source, will be $95 million. This is on the high end of what was expected - most estimates were anywhere from $92 to $95 million.

Atlanta Falcons GM Rich McKay, who co-chairs the Competition Committee and has long been a major player in league matters, talked to the media on Saturday about the possible extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would greatly affect how cap money is spent.

McKay said that the teams remain hopeful that there will be an extension, despite Player’s Association head Gene Upshaw's recent comments that agents should negotiate as if there will be no extension. McKay also said that without a new deal, the March 3 free agency deadline will not be pushed back.

McKay said that it would be "extremely difficult" to operate without an extension.

Without a cap, McKay said that the "tricks of the trade" will all drop into this year's cap, affecting cap room. Contracts would only be able to be four years long and he thinks trades will be less likely because of accelerated bonuses. He also expects free agency would be slower.

But in late-breaking news on this matter, Seahawks.NET has been informed by our Scout.com source at the Combine that members of one NFL organization are telling their staff that there is a very strong chance that the CBA will be extended by the deadline. Significant recent progress has been made, according to our source

Last edited:
That made my night great news if true.

Good news and new headaches as major players will seek to get the lions share of that...but great news anyways.

It will be interesting to see if more teams copy the Patriots by using the extra money to fill out the lower 2/3's of their roster or go for the ticket sellers. Every team that mismanages their cap is a team scratched off the list of haves...

I predict the Patriots will manage this extra money in the future better than everyone in the AFC except for Saban...it's gonna be fun to watch.

As a side note...Mangini's $25 million headache is still there...;)

Pro Football Talk is saying basically the same thing :

"CBA "IS GONNA GET DONE"

A league source tells us that an extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement "is gonna get done" in the near future, and that the start of free agency will be delayed by "a week or so" so that this year's class of free agents will hit the market under the terms of the new labor deal.

As it currently stands, free agency is set to begin on Friday, March 3. Because 2006 is the last capped year under the existing CBA, various provisions of the contract between the NFL and the player's union would make it much harder for teams to navigate the salary cap in signing new players.

There has been plenty of gloom-and-doom rhetoric of late from NFL executive director Gene Upshaw regarding the status of the talks, even though we've continued to hear that progress was being made. An industry source (who apparently was right on the money) told us on Friday that, in his opinion, Upshaw and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue have been working together to put pressure on the owners to resolve their differences regarding the proposed expansion of local revenues that are not currently shared.

The NFLPA has insisted on the inclusion of such monies in the funding of the league-wide salary cap. But if the local revenues aren't shared, the salary cap for the low-earning teams would be artificially inflated by the local income of the big-money teams.

Though no specifics as to the terms of the coming CBA and possibly expanded revenue sharing are available, it's looking stronger than ever than something will happen soon."

BelichickFan said:
Pro Football Talk is saying basically the same thing :

"CBA "IS GONNA GET DONE"

A league source tells us that an extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement "is gonna get done" in the near future, and that the start of free agency will be delayed by "a week or so" so that this year's class of free agents will hit the market under the terms of the new labor deal.

As it currently stands, free agency is set to begin on Friday, March 3. Because 2006 is the last capped year under the existing CBA, various provisions of the contract between the NFL and the player's union would make it much harder for teams to navigate the salary cap in signing new players.

There has been plenty of gloom-and-doom rhetoric of late from NFL executive director Gene Upshaw regarding the status of the talks, even though we've continued to hear that progress was being made. An industry source (who apparently was right on the money) told us on Friday that, in his opinion, Upshaw and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue have been working together to put pressure on the owners to resolve their differences regarding the proposed expansion of local revenues that are not currently shared.

The NFLPA has insisted on the inclusion of such monies in the funding of the league-wide salary cap. But if the local revenues aren't shared, the salary cap for the low-earning teams would be artificially inflated by the local income of the big-money teams.

Though no specifics as to the terms of the coming CBA and possibly expanded revenue sharing are available, it's looking stronger than ever than something will happen soon."

Wow! Great news. Betcha 2:1 that Kraft got his exemption, at least partially, (and that part will be where the money is) because he completely self funded his stadium.

Whew. The NFL will not completely suck in the future, assuming they finish this up. An uncapped year would have been disasterous.

thanks for the good info !

lets hope this all comes true

The Globe(Borges) and Pro Jo(Curran) are reporting the opposite, I certainly hope that this is true and this figure is correct.

msn this is great i hope they get it done as soon as possible

We don't need no stickin' CBA....LOL :singing:

I've got my fingers crossed that it does work out.

GJAJ15 said:
The Globe(Borges) and Pro Jo(Curran) are reporting the opposite, I certainly hope that this is true and this figure is correct.

Borges will always find someone to tell him bad news. Curran may have just talked to the same guy.

I can't see them not coming to some sort of agreemetn. But, they said the same thing about hocley last year. Who won that one? Nobody!

PATSNUTme said:
Borges will always find someone to tell him bad news. Curran may have just talked to the same guy.

I can't see them not coming to some sort of agreemetn. But, they said the same thing about hocley last year. Who won that one? Nobody!

I think they will get it done to Nut. If they don't then the NFL is no better than MLB, NBA or NHL.......

BTW, Nut, you gotta get another pic of BB.....he can't be talking about stupid people when he looks so fricken stupid himself in that headband! :D You need one of those, "I can't believe someone just asked me that dumbass question" press confrence pic!

Bill's Girl said:
I think they will get it done to Nut. If they don't then the NFL is no better than MLB, NBA or NHL.......

BTW, Nut, you gotta get another pic of BB.....he can't be talking about stupid people when he looks so fricken stupid himself in that headband! :D You need one of those, "I can't believe someone just asked me that dumbass question" press confrence pic!

I chose that photo for a reason. The reason was I was pissed at him at the time.

That is exactly what the press does. They may have a choice of a hundred photos of a person,but if they don't like someone they will choose the worst and if they do like some they will choose the best.

I'm getting over it now so I may get rid of it some time soon.

My head is going to explode between now an March 3rd. Now, Willie and Rodney's names are being thrown around as possible cap cuts.:mad:

Oh this is great. So I have a question, how much will this increase the cap to? Will it only stay around 95 million for sure? Or is there a chance it goes up to 102 mill as expected before?

PATSNUTme said:
I chose that photo for a reason. The reason was I was pissed at him at the time.

That is exactly what the press does. They may have a choice of a hundred photos of a person,but if they don't like someone they will choose the worst and if they do like some they will choose the best.

I'm getting over it now so I may get rid of it some time soon.

My head is going to explode between now an March 3rd. Now, Willie and Rodney's names are being thrown around as possible cap cuts.:mad:

Where did you see Harrison's name mentioned as a possible cap cut? I know McGinest was mentioned, but that is BS speculation on Len P.'s part in my honest opinion. And it speculation because of Willie Mc's current cap hit. I think that the Pats could easily give Willie a 6- 7 million SB on a 4 year extension and work the numbers out so they helped the Patriots. And they don't need the CBA done to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes