PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, let's get ahead of ourselves. We are fans, not players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to focus on the game this weekend, with all of the subplots, matchups, momentum, fantasy numbers, schemes etc. AND talk about the bigger picture of the season and where we could be at the end of it. I don't find the two things ot be mutually exclusive.

So, because I am afraid of a player not being mature enough to focus on the task at hand...

Or the coaches lack the authority to reel guys in who might be "reading [their] own press clippings"...

I should never discuss anything but the next game on the schedule?

Not at all. Discuss what you want. That's what these forums are for. Just don't pretend that the other side is crazy because they want to take a 'one game at a time' approach. I personally think that talking seriously about 12 games down the road under any but the most hypothetical of situations is stupid since so much can change between now and then, but that's just me. Good Lord, just imagine what would happen to New England or Indianapolis if either team lost their quarterback for the season. I hope this Patriots team goes 19-0, but I'm not going to go around blowing sunshine up their ass about it in week 5.

What I will grant you is that fans in the stadium certainly do have the ability to help players. If the people in the stadium are getting bored and shuffling out early because NE is winning big, or if the team is getting booed because they are only winning by a FG late, then you have a problem.

Other than that, you are reaching with this one.

Stadium fans... neighbors.... people in the local grocery store.... the pizza delivery guy.... some call-in geek on the radio.... a bunch of computer geeks on Patsfans.com...... they all have an impact on players in general (some players are impervious or oblivious, but they are in the distinct minority). Any person or player who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

Not at all. Discuss what you want. That's what these forums are for. Just don't pretend that the other side is crazy because they want to take a 'one game at a time' approach. I personally think that talking seriously about 12 games down the road under any but the most hypothetical of situations is stupid since so much can change between now and then, but that's just me. Good Lord, just imagine what would happen to New England or Indianapolis if either team lost their quarterback for the season. I hope this Patriots team goes 19-0, but I'm not going to go around blowing sunshine up their ass about it in week 5.

Stadium fans... neighbors.... people in the local grocery store.... the pizza delivery guy.... some call-in geek on the radio.... a bunch of computer geeks on Patsfans.com...... they all have an impact on players in general (some players are impervious or oblivious, but they are in the distinct minority). Any person or player who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

Have I ever?

Have I ever?

Not that I know of, but look to the O.P. where it all started and the posts of Satchboogie3. I was hearkening back to that stuff.

Last edited:
I might be a newb on this sight but I've been a PATs fan my whole life. And I can tell that some use it as a joke, as do I and I think the "humble pie" thing is hilarious. But some people actually think that's how they should be talking. And there's way too many "brain surgeons" who act like the 16-0 thing is too dumb for them to talk about because it's so far "down the road." nice moderation.
I was referring to your new status here on this site, not as a Patriots fan. I haven't had time to go over shmessy's full dossier on you yet to know about your status as a Patriots fan. The tax records are interesting so far though.

Truly however, I think you're greatly overestimating how many people on this board spout Belichickisms as gospel truth of their own opinions, and how many people believe their own individual actions have any bearing on the outcome of the game or season.

And if you want to talk about going 16-0 when we're four games into the season, that's cool.. but you need to be prepared for some of the more acerbic posters to call you an idiot, and some of the less acerbic posters to tell you that they're only thinking about the next game. 'Course we're not talking about you here, you're the guy with the "I hope they DON'T go 16-0" thread. ;)

I prefer to maintain the "one game at a time" mind set. I find it much more enjoyable looking at each game as it comes and not worrying about the next game.

However, I do like to speculate on what will happen during the season.

I think it's my own way of keeping a level head about the team I love so much, and it prevents me from becoming an annoying, overbearing, bigmouthed say...RATS fan :D

Exactly.

And personally, I've had a bad taste in my mouth over talk of going 16-0 ever since the very first time I laughed my ass off at Lil' Ronnie.
http://www.crowdpleezers.com/LilRonnie.htm

I like to focus on the game this weekend, with all of the subplots, matchups, momentum, fantasy numbers, schemes etc. AND talk about the bigger picture of the season and where we could be at the end of it. I don't find the two things ot be mutually exclusive.

Look at that, we're on the same page on that one.

I agree 100% that it's nonsense for us as fans to be "concentrating on Cleveland" and pretending we are not expecting a 19-0 season, but surely we can all agree that there are certain so-called superstitions that are absolute, solid 100% valid.

When the Patriots were leading the Colts 21-3 (I think it was) in last year's AFC championship game, my wife came in the room and asked what the score was. I knew at that moment that the Patriots were doomed.

I was referring to your new status here on this site, not as a Patriots fan. I haven't had time to go over shmessy's full dossier on you yet to know about your status as a Patriots fan. The tax records are interesting so far though.

Truly however, I think you're greatly overestimating how many people on this board spout Belichickisms as gospel truth of their own opinions, and how many people believe their own individual actions have any bearing on the outcome of the game or season.

And if you want to talk about going 16-0 when we're four games into the season, that's cool.. but you need to be prepared for some of the more acerbic posters to call you an idiot, and some of the less acerbic posters to tell you that they're only thinking about the next game. 'Course we're not talking about you here, you're the guy with the "I hope they DON'T go 16-0" thread. ;)

That's fine, I don't really have a problem with elitists on this site being caustic with with me, I wasn't crying because someone called me a name. I really couldn't care less, so don't straw man me like that. But it's annoying when you want to talk about something (gasp) in the future, and you get barraged with a bunch of parrots who have decided that it's unacceptable to talk about such forbidden things.

And yes, I did start the other thread but I also admitted that I mistitled it and really wanted to say I don't want them to go 16-0 if it in anyway hurts their chances of another SB. But it got clogged with a bunch of people who think the 16-0 talk is stupid because it will never happen. I find it highly ironic that people go out of their way to join a conversation that they think is stupid just to tell everyone how stupid it is.

Let's set our sights ABOVE 19-0......let's see, how about beating both the points scored and points allowed records! We're on pace for 592 (beating Minnesota's 556) while allowing 192 (what's the modern record? Tampa Bay's 196? I know the old-time record is like 34 or something.)

I get tired of constantly hearing the following phrases from message board posters whenever anyone posts something optimistic:

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves...."

"Let's take it one game at a time..."

Why not?

YOU ARE FANS, NOT PLAYERS. YOU HAVE NO BEARING ON THE ACTUAL RESULTS OF GAMES.

These are phrases that apply to players. You do not want PLAYERS getting ahead of themselves and having lofty expectations. You do not want PLAYERS getting complacent and getting swelled up heads.

As fans, you and I have every right to HOPE, WISH, or PREDICT whatever we want. We damn well can "get ahead of ourselves" as much as we'd like.

Contrary to popular belief, what we fans believe will have no bearing on the outcome of future games. All of the wishing, predictions of 16-0, accolades, etc in the world posted on this board won't hurt the Pats.

We are fans, not players.

p.s. if I hear the word "no class" used in reference to another football player I'm going to have to throw up in my mouth.

Right on.
I started a thread asking about the Indy game on the 4th....just looking for opinions etc....and got shot down because i wasn't following Bill B's "one day at a time" philosophy.

Let's have fun and enjoy this....we dont know how long it will last and some of us remember the 80's and 90's...

<< As for the "jinx", I"m always amazed at the inability of people to understand that mindset has a great deal to do with successful endeavors >>

Yes, if you're PLAYING!!

Psychology of a PLAYER is of course important. Perhaps, as Moss is showing, one of the most important elements of success.

However, the mindset of people in Bruschi jerseys like myself watching on Direct TV isn't going to do squat for the Pats.

I know I started this thread more out of boredom than of any real issue, but I'm curious as to why Boston of all cities (correct me if Im wrong) seems to be REALLY BIG on superstitions and sports.

nm...........

Last edited:
<< When the Patriots were leading the Colts 21-3 (I think it was) in last year's AFC championship game, my wife came in the room and asked what the score was. I knew at that moment that the Patriots were doomed. >>

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Seriously.

Don't the concepts of causation, correlation, and coincidence have any meaning to you?

<< As for the "jinx", I"m always amazed at the inability of people to understand that mindset has a great deal to do with successful endeavors >>

Yes, if you're PLAYING!!

Psychology of a PLAYER is of course important. Perhaps, as Moss is showing, one of the most important elements of success.

However, the mindset of people in Bruschi jerseys like myself watching on Direct TV isn't going to do squat for the Pats.

I know I started this thread more out of boredom than of any real issue, but I'm curious as to why Boston of all cities (correct me if Im wrong) seems to be REALLY BIG on superstitions and sports.

Human beings don't exist in isolation. Environment does, in fact, influence the person.

This is really pretty basic stuff.

<< When the Patriots were leading the Colts 21-3 (I think it was) in last year's AFC championship game, my wife came in the room and asked what the score was. I knew at that moment that the Patriots were doomed. >>

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Seriously.

Don't the concepts of causation, correlation, and coincidence have any meaning to you?

thomas is a pot stirrer. Play along or leave him be.

P.S. if your WIFE makes the Pats lose by asking what the score is, why don't you bet hugely against them in Vegas... take out a mortgage... and then have her ask you the score?

Talk about free money!

But it doesn't work that way, does it.

Right on.
I started a thread asking about the Indy game on the 4th....just looking for opinions etc....and got shot down because i wasn't following Bill B's "one day at a time" philosophy.

Let's have fun and enjoy this....we dont know how long it will last and some of us remember the 80's and 90's...

Just to play devil's advocate:

How are people supposed to be able to enjoy the past 4 weeks and the upcoming game if all they see are threads about a game weeks down the road because a bunch of individuals are looking past the Browns?

Human beings don't exist in isolation. Environment does, in fact, influence the person.

This is really pretty basic stuff.

But I won't ever meet any of the players. And those that do likely won't be swayed by what they see on a messageboard, if they go here at all.

I get what you are saying, but I still think that you are way over the top with your premise.

Just to play devil's advocate:

How are people supposed to be able to enjoy the past 4 weeks and the upcoming game if all they see are threads about a game weeks down the road because a bunch of individuals are looking past the Browns?

By looking at the threads that focus on the past four games and the upcoming game? :confused:

But I won't ever meet any of the players. And those that do likely won't be swayed by what they see on a messageboard, if they go here at all.

I get what you are saying, but I still think that you are way over the top with your premise.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this...

I know, for a FACT, from a combination of personal and second-hand experiences, that what happens with internet sites, radio, television, newspapers, neighbors, etc... frequently has an impact upon the psyche and mindset of athletes even at the college and professional level.

If it didn't matter, coaches wouldn't scour the newspapers for billboard material, teams wouldn't talk about being disrespected, and we wouldn't need phrases like "reading his own press clippings".

Last edited:
I don't know how much clearer I can make this...

I know, for a FACT, from a combination of personal and second-hand experiences, that what happens with internet sites, radio, television, newspapers, neighbors, etc... frequently has an impact upon the psyche and mindset of athletes even at the college and professional level.

If it didn't matter, coaches wouldn't scour the newspapers for billboard material, teams wouldn't talk about being disrespected, and we wouldn't need phrases like "reading his own press clippings".

Well. That is the last time I ever compliment a Pats player on the internet ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes