PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yep - Another Deion Branch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As I suspected, it appears Branch and Chayut were caught completly off-guard. From Pro Football Talk:

BRANCH, AGENT CAUGHT FLAT-FOOTED
Speaking of the Deion Branch situation, we don't seriously believe that he'll be traded to the Cowboys or anyone else by September 1. Bolstering our opinion in this regard is scuttlebutt we've heard that Branch and agent Jason Chayut were caught completely off guard by the team's sudden offer to allow Branch to explore the market via a trade.
Though some might contend that Chayut should have been prepared for anything, we're not so sure that he should have been ready for this one. After all, a sudden grant of permission by the Pats to talk to other teams about a potential contract for Branch would have fallen somewhere on the "likelihood of possible occurrences" meter between the Pats coughing up a $16 million signing bonus for Branch and coach Bill Belichick bringing Branch breakfast in bed.
Either way, the fact that Chayut wasn't ready makes it even harder for Chayut to slap together an acceptable offer to the player and to his current team by September 1.
Most league observers think that New England will want a first-round pick in exchange for Branch. We think that the Pats will want to pull off the kind of maneuver that the Broncos finagled in the Ashley Lelie trade, ignoring the specific round of the pick and focusing on points value in the draft trade chart.
On the chart pioneered in the 1990s by FOX's Jimmy Johnson, the first pick in round one is worth 3,000 points and the last pick in round one has a value of 590. Our guess is that Pats will want 1,500 points in value, which equates to the seventh overall pick.
Of course, this will make it even harder for any team to work out a deal by September 1. But then the question will be whether the Patriots will be willing to continue to talk if Chayut somehow finds a new suitor for Branch and gets that team to the table to begin serious discussions before the artificial deadline expires.
Bottom line -- the closer that this dance gets to resulting in a trade the harder it will be for New England to stop the music when the clock strikes 4:00 on Friday afternoon.
It's intriguing to consider the possibilities, but we still think that Charlie Frye has a better chance of winning the NFL MVP award this year than Branch does of getting traded out of New England.

Like most folks, I'm pretty sure Branch wil resign and stay a Pat a little while longer.

The one thing I wasn't too up on were statistical differences between Branch and Reggie Wayne, to whom Branch compares himself.

Statistically of course, Reggie Wayne's stats are FAR superior to Branch's in every category.

I understand there are intangibles that do make true evaluation impossible i.e....styles of offense played in, playoff performances, clutch play. Super Bowl MVPs...etc.

But in this case the basic stats can't an shouldn't be ignored because it gives a good snapshot of projected future production and durability issues

That being said, I think the Pats offer was more than fair and there's no way Branch should be paid similarly to Wayne.

See below:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302177

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235256

Last edited:
I know this has been beaten to death up, down and sideways, but what the hey: Say the "impossible" happened and Minnesota offered a No. 1 for Branch, or someone else comes up with acceptable trade compensation and a deal is consummated. THAT STILL LEAVES US WITHOUT BRANCH'S SERVICES this season, a void we are unlikely to fill otherwise. It boggles my mind that BB feels OK about possibly going through 2006 with the WR corps as presently constituted. There is NO WAY Belipioli could have entered into this without acknowledging the very real possibility that Branch may not play for New England again.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya know will, after i read this this morning, i was amazed at how bad this relationship is. the guy just has no clue on how to deal with the Pats FO.

What are Reggie Wayne's statistics on Super Bowl trophies?

I think Patriot fans will rue the day they were too cheap to pay the stud to go out and do his thing.

Johnny Z said:

I think Patriot fans will rue the day they were too cheap to pay the stud to go out and do his thing.

Had Wayne had the chance to play for the Pats, it's possible he could have had 2 or 3 trophies.

i have a question - everyone thinks the pats would want a number 1. If they want a number 1 doesnt that kinda validate branch and his agent about his value as a 1st round draft trade player and wont branch's agent turn around and say if you cant trade for less than a number 1 then pay him like it ?

Why are people so concerned? What has the offense done over the first 3 pre-season games that has folks worried?

We also haven't seen what Jackson has to offer, yet. Hopefully we see it soon.

Averaging over 400 yards of offense through the pre season isn't bad.

SVN said:
i have a question - everyone thinks the pats would want a number 1. If they want a number 1 doesnt that kinda validate branch and his agent about his value as a 1st round draft trade player and wont branch's agent turn around and say if you cant trade for less than a number 1 then pay him like it ?

Hmmmm. Thats a good point.

SVN said:

Of course the other side of that argument is if Deion is asking to be paid like a #1 then whey can't we seek the same amount of compensation in return?

I believe that BB has already thought about DB not playing and will bring in another WR to fill out the roster either by trade or waiver wire. I heard from talk radio and from this forum how the Pats will not make it to the SB. This is all because of not having one person, I mean Deion is good but not all world. As long as we have #12 back there, they will be succesful. Name one team within our conference who has a better QB, better RB tadem, and OL along with the best DL,......none. They have a plan and if they can win a Super Bowl in 01 with Troy Brown, David Patten, they can do it again.

Johnny Z said:

Were we to "pay the stud" - how do you then propose we deal with the line of players at BB's door looking to renegotiate their contracts while they are still under contract just like Deion?

Evidently you do not realize that we DID offer Deion a very decent deal and he turned it down. Didn't even counter...now why is that dude?

Tell me, exactly how much should we pay him? TO or Reggie Wayne money like he wants?

Tell me how the Patriots are "cheap".....the more I think about your response the more I think you have no clue.

Slagathor said:
Like most folks, I'm pretty sure Branch wil resign and stay a Pat a little while longer.

The one thing I wasn't too up on were statistical differences between Branch and Reggie Wayne, to whom Branch compares himself.

Statistically of course, Reggie Wayne's stats are FAR superior to Branch's in every category.

I understand there are intangibles that do make true evaluation impossible i.e....styles of offense played in, playoff performances, clutch play. Super Bowl MVPs...etc.

But in this case the basic stats can't an shouldn't be ignored because it gives a good snapshot of projected future production and durability issues

That being said, I think the Pats offer was more than fair and there's no way Branch should be paid similarly to Wayne.

See below:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302177

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235256
Well, if you look at 2005 they're almost exactly the same. And if you factor in postseason performances Branch is better. And fantasy football is not the same as real football, despite how stat-conscious current fans have become. We're not talking about baseball here. And if Tom Brady says Deion is as good as any receiver in the NFL, and he has on several occasions, I believe him more than I do you.

fgssand said:
Were we to "pay the stud" - how do you then propose we deal with the line of players at BB's door looking to renegotiate their contracts while they are still under contract just like Deion?
QUOTE]
Easy: pay Deion, and get tough on the players after him. Who's next, Koppen and Warren? Get tough with them. I think the Pats are afraid of looking "weak" as negotiators after the Seymour contract, where they set the market, so they decided to get tough with Deion. I would rather pay Deion and get tough with Koppen.

fgssand said:

Evidently you do not realize that we DID offer Deion a very decent deal and he turned it down. Didn't even counter...now why is that dude?

Tell me, exactly how much should we pay him? TO or Reggie Wayne money like he wants?

Tell me how the Patriots are "cheap".....the more I think about your response the more I think you have no clue.
Deion has to play at a reasonable price to have any chance to re-sign Graham. I'd rather have Graham if I had to pay a stud.

Last edited:
My thoughts on PFT's piece
1.) If true, then the idea that the Patriots allowed Chayut to shop for a deal in return for his client returning on September 2nd has been severely undercut.
2.) Randy Moss was traded for the 7th overall pick, Napoleon Harris, and a 7th round pick. Is the difference between an 28-year old Randy Moss and a 27 year old Branch truly just Napoleon Harris and a 7th round pick??
3.) 1500 points pretty much eliminates any team that thinks that they are going to the playoffs. The 21st pick is worth 800 points.
4.) Just when I thought that Chayut could have not mishandled this negotiations any worse, I read this.

I still think the only team that will consider this trade will be a team that
thinks it could go all the way this season if it just had a WR of Branch's
quality.
Why would a team give up a lots of its draft next year for Branch if it still
had big question marks besides a WR?

Teams considering this move have only one week to considering all the
possible implications of such a move.
For example ... Vikes. Sure they need a WR. But would Branch assure them a SB win this year? I doubt it. So if they did it .... they
would have a much lesser draft to address needs next off season
while they might be able to pick up in FA WR next offseason that could
have solve their problem.
It is these kinda of "What IF"s that will drive a lot of GM's crazy for a week.

But what team really is that close and all they need is Branch?

Eagles? Maybe? But that organization doesn't seem to be one to move
quickly ... like in one week.
Also it is late in the preseaon and leaves little time for branch to develop
timing with their QB. Then they might ask, Is Branch good because of the System and the time he and Brady have been working together. So it may
take a month or so to get Branch and his new QB in sync.

What about Denver? That's a possibility. But if the trade Value has to be
1500 points ... I think that would be unacceptable plus that would mean
two high priced WRs on their payrole?
Seahawks are a possiblility and I could see the Branch and Hasselbeck
duo working well together. With Branch that offense could be very good.

If Branch goes, my guess is it will be to a team that could go all the
way this year and one the PATs may have to beat in the post season.
But it will be a big gamble for that team. Imagine the irony if that is
the reason they did it and the PATs beat them in the playoffs. :D

There just seems to many questions to do this thing in one week at this
time prior to the seaon.

SVN said:

a) A 1st rounder gets paid about 1.5 million a year, not 8 million.

b) Chad Jackson will get healthy around September 24 and catch 17 passes this year.

SVN said:

Like SMG93 said,

It is more the Pats saying "Well sense you think you should be worth 8 mil a year, then you should also garner a 1st round pick!"

Miguel said:
My thoughts on PFT's piece
1.) If true, then the idea that the Patriots allowed Chayut to shop for a deal in return for his client returning on September 2nd has been severely undercut.

That's what worried me.

If there is any truth to this, then most likely no agreement of Branch's return is in place.

We still may not see Deion till week 10!

I am really hoping they find the market for his services isn't as high as he hoped, and just think the best is to get back (or in this case, start) negotiating a longterm deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes