Welcome to PatsFans.com

Yeah, Massachusetts is really fiscally strong

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by khayos, Aug 4, 2010.

1. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

It is interesting that Alaska is pink.. with their permanent fund and all.. coupled with their mineral wealth..

Would think that their sitz would rival Nebrasks or Iowa...
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Sarah's Fault.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

What are they defining as debt, and how are they coming to their calculation. That's what comes to mind when I see that map.
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Good point, butthe first thing this map makes me think about is that the darker the color, the more I would want to visit that state. Ever been to Nebraska and Iowa? I have. YIKES!:eek:
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Parts of Wyoming and Utah are beautiful...
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Eventually we'll need to raise taxes. Compared to other developed nations are tax rates are simply too low given the quality of life we have. We take our advantages for granted, and Republicans have been offering a free ride for way too long. The only people the Republicans want to hurt are the poor, but since Reagan they've taken away so much from the poor, there really isn't that much room left to take away more without being forced to add to the police, court, and prison budgets, not to mention social services for kids whose parents are imprisoned.
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When in doubt, blame the Republicans....when that doesn't work blame the Republicans :rolleyes:

Facts be damned, it's just easier to blame someone else than the people really responsible :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL what horrible logic. You want to raise taxes which de jure hurts the poor.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

True.

I should have said "lived" intead of "visit" I would not be able to live in Utah because beer is illegal...I think. Plus, the local Reggae scene is lame.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

No, I think we need to raise taxes, but we should do on those who most likely profited during the excesses of the 2000s. After all, the wealthy, unlike people who are saving for retirement (i.e., the middle class) were able to cash in and diversify their gains or make improvements to their quality of life. Unfortunately for them, their gains were ill-gotten (usually through no dishonesty on their part), but we have to get some of the money back in order to stabilize and strengthen the economy. As I've said before, I see taxes merely as an economic tool. Right now, we need to raise them on the wealthy. Later on, we can lower them, raise them on the middle class, or whatever. Whatever keeps our economy strong.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

Nah, beer's legal. They just have weird laws regarding serving it. "Clubs" can serve, or something like that, so when you go to the bar you have to go through the charade of "joining" for a nominal fee.
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

Huh?

Which gains were "ill-gotten"?

If you were, say, the owner of a company that you sold 5 years ago for tens of millions, how was that more ill-gotten than somebody who made a couple hundred thousand dollars flipping a home in what was undeniably an artificially propped up market?
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is the economy? Human behavior quantified in currency. As the government grows, it exerts control over human behavior. Liberties lost. Those at the top decide for the masses. John Kerry gets to shout down the rich who avoid taxes then does so himself. Al Gore gets to tell all you little people to buy $41,000 Volts while flying on a private jet.

The wealthy are not "saving for retirement", you knucklehead. They have nothing to retire from!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Beer wasn't illegal when I was there buying hard liquor at a restaurant was a hassle though. The single girls looking for a partner in the lift lines made up for any problems getting booze though. :D
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's especially pathetic about Patters' neverending quest to blame Republicans for everything is that if you look at that map, you see a situation where the red states have significantly less debt than the blue states.

I did a quick check comparing that map to an electoral map from the 2008 Presidential election. The highest red state I could find is KY at $1,685. I found 13 blue states that were higher.

Let me say that again: 13 blue states have higher per capita debt than the highest red state. And yet there are people in here who want to take policies proven to have failed, and simply expand them.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That wasn't even the point. Massachusetts is the bluest of blue states to the point where there is nothing that Republicans can do on Beacon Hill that has any impact on any bill anymore...every budget for over a decade or more has been with a Democrat supermajority veto-proof legislature. It's all a crock of crap to blame anything in Massachusetts on Republicans :rolleyes:
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

She quit to early to really f... things up in that state.. with or without her, the state has tremendous mineral wealth..
  20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

You can almost see the next battle coming when those states with the heaviest debt load look to Washington and the Feds to bail them out at the expense of those states that were fiscally prudent. It is sort of like the old parable of the grasshopper and the ant where the ant worked hard while the grasshopper played and then wanted him to support him ( hopper) in hard times.......
    I don't see it as a red/blue thing but it will be played out as such....especially with the 2012 election looming and many of those states that voted blue...in the 'red' as they say.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010