PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Here is my mock draft based on the following offseason as well :)

FA -

Adrian Wilson- SS
Danny Amedola - WR
John Abraham - DE
Donald Jones - WR
David Nelson - WR

Resigned -

Talib - CB
Vollmer - OT
Edelman - WR

Through Trade - for Mallett

DT - Ahtyba Rubin + 106 (3rd round pick from the Browns)

Draft -

1rnd.DE - Tank Caradine
2rnd.WR- Aaron Dobson
3rnd.CB - Tyranne Mathieu
3rnd.TE - Jordan Reed
7rnd. QB - Peter Lalich
7rnd. WR -Mark Harrison

This leaves us with an incredibly strong front 7 depth in the secondary in case Arrington needs to play on the outside and add a playmaker.

We get our two big WR's that can get deep as well with speed..

Grabbing Jordan Reed as a back up joker role/Hback is good insurance and depth and great value at the end of the 3rd round.

Props to OTG for the Peter Lalich pick :rocker::rocker:

Carradine is jumping up the draft boards. Was hoping to get him in the 3rd and now I'm seeing him in the 1st in a lot of mocks.

If he clears medically, I'd rather have Carradine than Margus Hunt.

Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock:

2013 NFL Mock Drafts : NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Dion Jordan rises to No. 2

Do not like his pick at 29, at all.

He's probably going to be my first pick in my next mock - albeit with a little trade down.

By all accounts BB was very interested in Michael Johnson before he re-signed his tender and the last two frafts by BB says that he really likes size/athleticism guys in Chandler Jones and Solder.

It's not so much that I want the pick - although I believe it has probably more upside than any other pick at that position, it's that I'm starting to think it's the more likely proposition.

Mind you, if we can get Freeney or Abraham - I like the idea of Abraham-Hunt-Armstead-Jones on passing downs.

Edit: Hunt's age does bother me however.

One thought that is giving me sleepless nights right now - Markus Wheaton is a perfect fit for the Steelers. If we want him, we might have to get ahead of the Steelers in the 2nd round.

i hope we can trade down from the 1st to a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th and then trade up to have 3 2nd round picks then get Hayden, Carradine, Wheaton, Short, Greene any of those guys would be great to get

He's probably going to be my first pick in my next mock - albeit with a little trade down.

By all accounts BB was very interested in Michael Johnson before he re-signed his tender and the last two frafts by BB says that he really likes size/athleticism guys in Chandler Jones and Solder.

It's not so much that I want the pick - although I believe it has probably more upside than any other pick at that position, it's that I'm starting to think it's the more likely proposition.

Mind you, if we can get Freeney or Abraham - I like the idea of Abraham-Hunt-Armstead-Jones on passing downs.

Edit: Hunt's age does bother me however.

...as does his lack of experience before entering SMU. His instincts, therefore, are questionable.

I'm starting to lean towards the distinct possibility that, trade-down or not, Bill will likely draft
the best available CB with his first pick.

One thought that is giving me sleepless nights right now - Markus Wheaton is a perfect fit for the Steelers. If we want him, we might have to get ahead of the Steelers in the 2nd round.

Isn't he just an Antonio Brown clone though? Doesn't seem like they would want two of the same type of WR.

Trade Mallet, 29 and Brandon Spikes to Browns for 6 and 68

That's funny. I've been thinking that outside of Mallet, Brandon Spikes is our 2nd most tradeable/likely to be traded player.

...as does his lack of experience before entering SMU. His instincts, therefore, are questionable.

Aren't instincts, by definition, the opposite of behavior learned by experience?
Are you referring to Grid wisely calls diagnostic ability and processing speed?

Isn't he just an Antonio Brown clone though? Doesn't seem like they would want two of the same type of WR.

It's more that I think Wheaton is a good Mike Wallace replacement. Hopefully they'll look at Marquise Goodwin a round later for better value.

This is my ideal draft for the pats. Let me know what you guys think.

-Trade first round pick for 2nd, 3rd and 2014 draft pick.

2a. Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
- Can do anything on the offensive line. He can play on both sides. He’s played Center, Guard and Tackle at Bama. Jones’ best position in the NFL is interior line. High character guy, 3 time national champion and team captain.

2b. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
-Short is a beast with great production and great size at 6'3 315. Great strength and hand usage. He is unblockable, makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage and is arguably the best pass rushing DT in this draft.

3a. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
-Swope is a beast. He looks like an early-mid 2nd round pick on film. Ran a 4.3 at the combine, has great hands, is a great blocker and is very reliable. He tore SEC defenses apart last year.

3b. Devonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina
-SEC linebacker. Former safety who has the speed and coverage skills of a safety but is also a great tackler and very physical. Lord knows we need an LB that can cover.

7a. Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
-Pure pass rusher. Was leading college football in sacks this year until he tore his ACL. Puts constant pressure on the QB. Also had 3 sacks against Bama.

7b. Dexter McCoil, S, Tulsa
-Major sleeper. This guy is great in coverage, great in run support. 6'4. Interception machine.

Looks good Austin. Love Q Smith in the 7th. Also like David Bass in that round as well.

Overall pretty much touches all the needs.

Fine with Jones in the 2nd. Kind of guy that contributes sooner rather than later. Having someone who can fill in at C or guard is a must on this team. Now that Vollmer is about signed I'm not sure if this is a need pick or a depth pick now? Eventual replacement for Dan Connolly.

See Short mocked to us quite a bit and wouldn't surprise me if he is a Pat based on his versatility of both 34 43. If Short is unblockable then why is he a second rounder? Still,solid production and a upgrade on the line. Does show the ability to stop the run and get to the passer.

Not a huge fan of Swope. There are probably 12 receivers I like better. I could see him pairing back up with Tannehill in Miami.

McCoil would be a real nice spot in the 7th. Could be a steal.

- Can do anything on the offensive line. He can play on both sides. He’s played Center, Guard and Tackle at Bama. Jones’ best position in the NFL is interior line. High character guy, 3 time national champion and team captain.

-Short is a beast with great production and great size at 6'3 315. Great strength and hand usage. He is unblockable, makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage and is arguably the best pass rushing DT in this draft.

-Swope is a beast. He looks like an early-mid 2nd round pick on film. Ran a 4.3 at the combine, has great hands, is a great blocker and is very reliable. He tore SEC defenses apart last year.

-SEC linebacker. Former safety who has the speed and coverage skills of a safety but is also a great tackler and very physical. Lord knows we need an LB that can cover.

-Pure pass rusher. Was leading college football in sacks this year until he tore his ACL. Puts constant pressure on the QB. Also had 3 sacks against Bama.

-Major sleeper. This guy is great in coverage, great in run support. 6'4. Interception machine.

I Hadn't really looked at Swope before. This isn't just because he's a white receiver but his ball shills at the catch remind me a lot of welker. Low catches away, and some of the tough ones over the middle.

There were a couple of routes where it looked very similar to routes and catches Wes made. Just my $0.02 but i can see why the pats are looking at him definitely.

I like some of the guys you mentioned; Short, Swope and Holloman. Doubt you can wait til 59 to get Short. He might go in first. Ryan Wendell graded out really well at C. Doubt if we're looking to replace him. I really like Holoman and DJ Swearinger from South Carolina. Would love to find a way to get both of them and a dt and wr. Would need a pick from Cleveland for Mallett. My wr would be Markus Wheaton but Swope is fine.

I'd probably go
1. K. Short - dt - Datone Jones if Short gone and he's on the board.
2. M. Wheaton - WR - Would be fine with Swope.
3. D. Holloman - lb - There are some other WOLB's who should be there.

814 Posts!! :rocker:

Ah, 814...The Height of Power of the Frankish Empire, which spawned France and *Germany!! :eek:

754px-Central_Europe%2C_814.jpg

*I prefer "Alamannia", but that's another Story. :rolleyes:

Two interesting mocks:

downattheone.com/NFL/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft

Two interesting mocks:

downattheone.com/NFL/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft

One of those gentlemen is (A) under the mistaken impression that the Patriots are looking to move past Vollmer quickly, and (B) under the mistaken impression that the Patriots care about things such as BPA.

Even if you buy his analysis about him moving to guard, they already have Marcus Cannon for that.

Attempt #4 (I think!)

TRADES:
29 & 91 to Cinci for 37, 84, 118, 156
84 to Tampa Bay for 112, 126, 147

AVAILABLE PICKS:
37 (2), 112 (4), 118 (4), 126 (4), 147 (5), 156 (5), 226 (7), 235 (7)

PICKS:

37. Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU
6'3" 262lbs

112. Stedman Bailey - WR - West Virginia
5'10" 193lbs

118. Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
5'10" 193lbs

147. Marcus Lattimore - RB - South Carolina
5'11" 221lbs

156. Robert Lester - SS - Alabama
6'1" 220lbs

226. Marquess Wilson - WR - Washington State
6'3" 194lbs

235. Quanterus Smith - DE - Western Kentucky
6'5" 250lbs

Picks made using CBS draft rankings as a guide.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back