PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Grid, you are awesome but this ain't going to work

He isn't a pass rusher. He can't really run w. TE's or RB's.

Strong Argument, Alpha Video Crunch Brother. :cool:

You Zeroed in on the ONLY weak spot on my entire Roster. I am NOT comfortable with Spikes at Flanker. He is far better as a Mid Fielder. Why put him there, then? Because I MUST have Burfict, a Once In a Generation guy...and I love Spikes...Indeed, it was a choice between putting HIS name up there, or that of Ninkovich, who I like...And you can be sure it was a 50/50 deal...My question to you, though, is: If Coach Bill The Mad is regularly lining up Spikes at Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings!! ~ are you SURE he can't cut it??

My perception of the Mid Backers is more complex than I saw fit to blurb, in any case: I see overlapping roles, between each other, and between the Defensive End/Flanker/Heffalump Complex...Very mercurial, is a Belichickian Defense...

And the more Fletcher plays, the better.

But, to recap: Are you sure he can't play Flanker? Coach Bill The Mad thinks he can.

Not that THAT is a Trump Card, in my view...just an interesting point.

What think ye?

You Zeroed in on the ONLY weak spot on my entire Roster. I am NOT comfortable with Spikes at Flanker. He is far better as a Mid Fielder. Why put him there, then? Because I MUST have Burfict, a Once In a Generation guy...and I love Spikes...Indeed, it was a choice between putting HIS name up there, or that of Ninkovich, who I like...And you can be sure it was a 50/50 deal...My question to you, though, is: If Coach Bill The Mad is regularly lining up Spikes at Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings!! ~ are you SURE he can't cut it??

My perception of the Mid Backers is more complex than I saw fit to blurb, in any case: I see overlapping roles, between each other, and between the Defensive End/Flanker/Heffalump Complex...Very mercurial, is a Belichickian Defense...

But, to recap: Are you sure he can't play Flanker? Coach Bill The Mad thinks he can.

What think ye?

Could always trade Spikes. Should get a 3rd or 4th if we took Burfict.

Also, I like Burfict but I think he plays w. a lack of disciple. I could see the Ravens or Jets trading up to get him.

What think ye?

Could always trade Spikes. Should get a 3rd or 4th if we took Burfict.

Also, I like Burfict but I think he plays w. a lack of disciple. I could see the Ravens or Jets trading up to get him.

I LIKE your thinking!!

As much as I love Spikes, Bill The Mad ~ and everyone else ~ leaves a LOAD on the table, generally.

Drafting Burfict and then trading Spikes is a VERY viable Option.

OTG, I love reading your posts, man, but we're never drafting Burfict. The kid is so out of control. He regularly hurts his team with awful penalties and just inexcusable mental lapses. Yes, he's physically the most talented ILB I've seen (right up there with Willis and Lewis), but he just isn't worth it.

He'll make plays over his NFL career, no doubt, but the team that drafts him will also lose games because of his boneheaded play. They'll likely come to regret taking him at all.

Or, in your parlance . . .

BUYER BEWARE!!! :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Yeah if we draft another ILB (which I think we will with our first 4 picks) the writing is on the wall for Spikes unless he figures out how to shave .5 seconds off of his 40 time. In this day and age if you can't hang with ANY (read: not expecting him to be able to cover Gates, Witten, Clark etc.) TE or RB as a LB you have very little value.

I love Burfict, too but Manti Te'o is more of a Bill Belichick type of guy. Hopefully he comes out this year.

Last edited:
OTG, I love reading your posts, man, but we're never drafting Burfict. The kid is so out of control. He regularly hurts his team with awful penalties and just inexcusable mental lapses. Yes, he's physically the most talented ILB I've seen (right up there with Willis and Lewis), but he just isn't worth it.

He'll make plays over his NFL career, no doubt, but the team that drafts him will also lose games because of his boneheaded play. They'll likely come to regret taking him at all.

Or, in your parlance . . .

BUYER BEWARE!!! :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Not to OverState, but...I LIVE for Arguments such as yours, Brother Reamer.

Well DONE, sir. :rocker:

Yeah if we draft another ILB (which I think we will with our first 4 picks) the writing is on the wall for Spikes unless he figures out how to shave .5 seconds off of his 40 time. In this day and age if you can't hang with ANY (read: not expecting him to be able to cover Gates, Witten, Clark etc.) TE or RB as a LB you have very little value.

I love Burfict, too but Manti Te'o is more of a Bill Belichick type of guy. Hopefully he comes out this year.

How fast was Bruschi's 40 time in his last few years in NE?

Good point,but do any of us think for one second that he has Bruschi's instincts?

Good point,but do any of us think for one second that he has Bruschi's instincts?

Pretty damned CLOSE.

If you discount Spikes's Instincts, Diagnostic Prowess, and Processing Speed, you badly mistake that Player.

My question to you, though, is: If Coach Bill The Mad is regularly lining up Spikes at Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings!! ~ are you SURE he can't cut it??

While one possibility is that the other talent we have for OLB is wanting it's also very possible that Spikes has the goods for the position. Everyone loves to talk about his weak 40 time, which I think is the most over-rated measurable in football, his 3 cone time, IMO the most under-rated is not too shabby.

Let's compare Spikes 3 cone to some bigger names, many of whom were draft binkies.

Connor Barwin - 6.87

Brandon Spikes - 6.97

DeMarcus Ware - 6.85

Brian Orakpo - 7.26

Cameron Wake - 7.12

Tamba Hali - 7.28

That said, I think very overlooked attribute to being an effective pass-rusher (admit it, that's what you want out of an OLB) is attitude, and I don't think Spikes has any problem running through a brick wall if it means he might have a chance to hurt the QB.

Although I don't have any information to substantiate this claim I have a feeling that Spikes is actually the son of Clubber Lang judging by his attitude.

rocky6.jpg

"you damn RIGHT Spikes is my kid!!!

While one possibility is that the other talent we have for OLB is wanting it's also very possible that Spikes has the goods for the position. Everyone loves to talk about his weak 40 time, which I think is the most over-rated measurable in football, his 3 cone time, IMO the most under-rated is not too shabby.

Let's compare Spikes 3 cone to some bigger names, many of whom were draft binkies.

Connor Barwin - 6.87

Brandon Spikes - 6.97

DeMarcus Ware - 6.85

Brian Orakpo - 7.26

Cameron Wake - 7.12

Tamba Hali - 7.28

That said, I think very overlooked attribute to being an effective pass-rusher (admit it, that's what you want out of an OLB) is attitude, and I don't think Spikes has any problem running through a brick wall if it means he might have a chance to hurt the QB.

Although I don't have any information to substantiate this claim I have a feeling that Spikes is actually the son of Clubber Lang judging by his attitude.

rocky6.jpg

Intriguing Theory, Brother Snake!! :D

Mock draft:
NE trades 2 2nds for a first. In no particular order we select:
Ta'amu - big (6-3 337) talented dl. It all starts with the line and we haven't added enough young talent recently.
Burfict - I loved this pick the second I read about him. If you can reel him in you get a top 10 pick. If not you get a talented but flawed lb. Either way he unloved our lb's immediately.
Vinny curry - the explosive olb / de we need.

Honorable mention to mark Barron as I love him as a prospect (1st team all sec last year, team captain which isn't to be over looked, and good size). But I want a veteren fa safety and young talent in the front 7.

Last edited:
Free Safety-Can I haz?

Mock draft:

NE trades 2 2nds for a first. In no particular order we select:

Ta'amu

687506067.jpg

- big (6-3 337) talented dl. It all starts with the line and we haven't added enough young talent recently.

Burfict

821671397.jpg

- I loved this pick the second I read about him. If you can reel him in you get a top 10 pick. If not you get a talented but flawed lb. Either way he unloved our lb's immediately.

Vinny curry

6224487.jpg

- the explosive olb / de we need.

Honorable mention to mark Barron as I love him as a prospect (1st team all sec last year, team captain which isn't to be over looked, and good size). But I want a veteren fa safety and young talent in the front 7.

Gotta give you a D- for "Presentation", bro :eek:, but my GOD, do I love those Picks!! :rocker:

Gotta give you a D- for "Presentation", bro :eek:, but my GOD, do I love those Picks!! :rocker:

Or you could give him an A+ for “knowing his limitations”. C’mon Grid, NO ONE presents like you!

Connor Barwin - 6.87

Brandon Spikes - 6.97

DeMarcus Ware - 6.85

Brian Orakpo - 7.26

Cameron Wake - 7.12

Tamba Hali - 7.28

rocky6.jpg

I don't think 3 cone is a good measuring tool for the 3-4 OLB position. I think that success at this position is measured by 1.) suddenness at the snap of the ball and 2.) Great ability to hand fight.

For pass rushers, we want a guy that explodes at the snap of the ball. Part of thes reason we, as a board, latched onto Matheews and Von miller was the explosion at the snap of the ball.

The other thing is that we need a pass rusher that can use his hands to keep opposing OT's for clamping down and riding our guy out of the play.

I don't think 3 cone is a good measuring tool for the 3-4 OLB position. I think that success at this position is measured by 1.) suddenness at the snap of the ball and 2.) Great ability to hand fight.

For pass rushers, we want a guy that explodes at the snap of the ball. Part of thes reason we, as a board, latched onto Matheews and Von miller was the explosion at the snap of the ball.

The other thing is that we need a pass rusher that can use his hands to keep opposing OT's for clamping down and riding our guy out of the play.

I never said it was THE measurable for an OLB, just that it’s a very under-rated measureable for football players, including OLBs, which I stand by. I also agree that the explosion off the snap is key for the front 7, as well as great hands/technique.

I’d like to see the .3yd dash measured a lot more.

My question to you, though, is: If Coach Bill The Mad is regularly lining up Brandon Spikes at Flanker ~ OLB, to you Earthlings!! ~ are you SURE he can't cut it??

...Coach Bill The Mad obviously thinks he can.

What think ye?

Connor Barwin - 6.87

Brandon Spikes - 6.97

DeMarcus Ware - 6.85

Brian Orakpo - 7.26

Cameron Wake - 7.12

Tamba Hali - 7.28

For pass rushers, we want a guy that explodes at the snap of the ball. Part of thes reason we, as a board, latched onto Mathews and Von Miller was the explosion at the snap of the ball.

I never said it was THE measurable for an OLB, just that it’s a very under-rated measureable for football players, including OLBs, which I stand by. I also agree that the explosion off the snap is key for the front 7, as well as great hands/technique.

I’d like to see the .3yd dash measured a lot more.

Interesting Arguments, gents.

Mind you: the only reason I even tossed out the idea of Spikes playing Flanker ~ OLB to you Earthlings ~ is that that's precisely where Coach Bill is currently deploying him. I'm certainly not suggesting that that makes him a Flanker, any more than Vince Wilfork is a Defensive End because of last year's deployments...which is not to say he couldn't be, either.

As for measureables, I'm fully in accord with Snake regarding the "40" time, which is, without peer, the most vastly overrated of them.

And I concur that the 3 Cone is ~ along with the Short Shuttle ~ very underrated.

Flanker is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate, not least because we must target Convertibles from Defensive End. If I was focused primarily on Pass Rush ~ sorry, Snake, but I'm not!! ;) ~ then it would be a far easier task...But as our unique system calls for a unique player, I divide my priorities between the Pass Rush, Run Defense, and Pass Defense. :eek:

Regarding Jones' points, I would certainly agree with the importance of Burst, of course: Personally, I feel that the 10 Yard Split is far more critical in assessing a Rush Flanker than the 40, itself...And I'm sure we all agree that powerfull hands and the technical aspect of disengaging from Blocks is important, albeit immeasurable.

Of course: this is just an intellectual exercise. At the end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if every last one of my Binkies and other favorites rises up the Boards considerably over the next 6 months, forcing me to make some hard decisions. And if Spikes continues to kick @$$ as I never doubted he would, Burfict would top the list of most likely sacrifices.

Wow!! After MidNight on Halloween, Great Blue North is ON it!! :rocker:

Great Blue North Draft Report

1 Indianapolis 0-8 .546
2 Miami 0-7 .566
3 Arizona 1-6 .478
4 St. Louis 1-6 .553
5F Carolina 2-6 .504
5F Jacksonville 2-6 .504
7 Minnesota 2-6 .578
8 Seattle 2-5 .504
9 Denver 2-5 .579
10 Washington 3-4 .439
11 Philadelphia 3-4 .482
12 Cleveland 3-4 .487
13 Dallas 3-4 .496
14 Tennessee 4-3 .455
15 Cleveland 4-3 .471
16 NY Jets 4-3 .487
17 San Diego 4-3 .522
18 Cincinnati 4-3 .530
19 Chicago 4-3 .542
20 Baltimore 5-2 .487
21P Tampa Bay 4-3 .504
22P Kansas City 4-3 .509
23P Houston 5-3 .420
24P NewEngland 5-3 .471
25P NewEngland 5-2 .456

26P NY Giants 5-2 .478
27P Cincinnati 5-2 .479
28P Buffalo 5-2 .491
29P Detroit 6-2 .552
30P San Fran 6-1 .447
31P Pittsburgh 6-2 .455
32P Green Bay 7-0 .500

Current Projection

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back