Welcome to PatsFans.com

YDKF: And Superman Wept (Gronkowski Article)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by nyjet17, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjet17

nyjet17 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good article on the emergence of Gronkowski. Hate to say it, but you guys got an absolute steal. Didn't realize he's also only 22 years old.
  2. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

If people knew of the monster that Gronk would become, he would have been a top 5 pick.
  3. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh they knew, but missing an entire year due to back injury at ASU was what dropped him so far down the draft ranks. If he hadn't had that injury, he would easily have been a first round pick.
  4. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the link,NY jet.Great article on Gronk.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I was under the impression that BB did not know jack shyt about drafting???

OTOH thought he was 23, no wonder he is such a "kid"....

With the new TV deal, we can easily sign him as the salary cap is gonna go through the roof..
  6. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 12 / -5

#12 Jersey

When Gronk was drafted, I think I remember hearing him referred to as "Does everything that Brandon Pettigrew does just as well, and is also faster and more athletic". Pettigrew went #20 overall the year before, and was 3 years older than Gronk.

Based on that alone, you can safely say that, if not for the injury, he would have easily been a top 10 pick in 2010.

Even Kyle Rudolph, whose scouting report was basically "a homeless man's Rob Gronkowski", went early in the 2nd round this year.
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,314 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

....and he's the OLDER of our 2 TE's!!!!!!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Hernandez

BTW, that's a pretty good article for a Jets blog. My respects!
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +632 / 11 / -6

GRONK and Hernandez are *still* among the 50 youngest players in the NFL. :eek:
  9. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +403 / 4 / -10

Tough to miss drafting a TE that year..... There are plenty of choices that lend credence to the alternative
  10. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico On the Roster

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, lots of good TEs the last couple of years, especially in '10. I remember NFP having Hernandez and Gronk rated 1-2, ahead of Gresham, the consensus top TE. Easy to forget now how big a risk both these picks were at the time. (Baltimore, whom BB traded ahead of to snag Gronk, had even ruled him out, according to a Breer report.)

Like it or not, the success with both these guys will reaffirm BB's gambling spirit, and can help explain how he'll take a risk on guys like Dowling who have a history with injuries.
  11. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thats true and Dowling could go the next four years without and injury and be a good player, you never know.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Actually drafting Hernandez and Gronk wasn't a change in direction at all. He had been trying to get 2 TE set for years, Witness the early picks used on Graham, Watson and Thomas.

Just took a while to find the 2 right guys.
  13. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico On the Roster

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

I think many of us here liked we what little we saw of him, so I hope so. A few years of a healthy Dowling and McCourty would change a lot of things on this D.
  14. Stilla

Stilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gronk and Aaron have been great stories, and now you have to put Solder in that same conversation. He has had a great rookie year and has had an impact on the o-line as well as in at TE. BB might have found his 3rd TE... Solder.

People tell me all the time that Solder will play tackle in time. I am not sold on that just yet. His impact in on the run game has been awesome when he is in at TE. It has been a long while since Solder played TE and BB might be coaching this guy up, to catch up on all the TE play he missed out on in school.

BB has brought in many TEs this year and none of them have stuck around long enough for people to even remember they were in NE. Solder has out shined many experienced TEs, and if someone wants to steal his spot as a starter they have to play better than he is currently.

Nate could even play as an eligible receiving tackle.

Don't be shocked if BB drafts another tackle because he likes Solder in at TE. Solder is fast and very athletic for his size. He has proven he is smart by starting in his rookie year. Its very tough to cover a guy who is 6-8 319 lbs, if Solder can catch the ball, he could be a real force to recon with.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  15. nyjet17

nyjet17 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's not really a Jets blog.

More of an opinion/analysis/news site on everything that focuses on NFL and is a little more Jets-centric than other teams. Thanks though, thought people would enjoy it here.
  16. Isaac

Isaac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thumbs up on the enthusiasm. I certainly can see a long-term situation where Solder starts but frequently rotates to tackle eligible, and maybe even catches a few passes if they can get him coached up for it. Why not? You know BB would do it if he liked it.
  17. NinjaZX6R

NinjaZX6R Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Arizona not Arizona State. But I'm glad he was rated as a 2nd round prospect and not a 1st.
  18. nyjet17

nyjet17 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's strange though because Jermaine Gresham missed the entire 2009 season with an injury and he was still picked in the 1st round.
  19. PatriotFan77

PatriotFan77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If ifs were fifths we'd all be drunk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.