PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yankees get Bobby Abreu and Corey Lidle

So what is the Yankee's payroll now. The fifty highest paid athletes: #9 A-Rod, #12 Jeter, #29 Randy Johnson, #34 Giambi, #48 Kevin Brown (retired, but I believe is being paid by NY). Of the total number of baseball players in the top 50 (13), the Yankees have five on the list, and 3 of the top 6, so much for a level playing field.
I don't believe they gave up their top prospects, but still gave up some future. This will hurt them in the long run, as they continue to acquire older players. In contrast, Theo has built a great farm system and will pay dividends in a few years. Hopefully, we are done sending youth out for rent-a-month players.

Per Rosenthal, the Yanks are giving up C.J. Henry, LHP Matt Smith, C Jesus Sanchez and RHP Carlos Monasterio. Not their top prospects by a long shot.

Good deal for the Yanks.

Bad deal for us. Unless Jimmy Rollins is going to be traded, I feel this is a bad trade for us. The only decent player we got is C.J. Henry, and he plays the same position as JRoll. I would have never dealt him to the Skanks, unless we got Phillip Hughes in return as part of the package.

I'm amazed that the Phils didn't get better prospects. They must have been desperate to unload Abreu's contract and the Yankees are willing to take it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justice said:
I'm amazed that the Phils didn't get better prospects. They must have been desperate to unload Abreu's contract and the Yankees are willing to take it all.

We want to get rid of Pat Burrell's contract as well, but he has a no trade clause, thanks to our last GM Ed Wade. We had a deal for Burrell to go to the Oriole's but Mr. Burrell said no, and would only give up his no trade clause if he we sent him to the Red Sox or Yankees. So, we are screwed since neither of those two teams want him.

I heard that the Phillies are actually paying Abreu $1.5 mil. to waive his ntc.:eek:

Johnny Mac said:
I heard that the Phillies are actually paying Abreu $1.5 mil. to waive his ntc.:eek:

But he made the Yankees pick up his 16 mil option for next year. so what does this mean for Sheffield? I guess he is not coming back either this year or next. The Yankees now have something ridiculous like 150 million scheduled for 2008 already! Abreu will do well in the Bronx, unless he gets off to a bad start and the boos start, but that short porch is going to help him.

FreeTedWilliams said:
But he made the Yankees pick up his 16 mil option for next year. so what does this mean for Sheffield? I guess he is not coming back either this year or next. The Yankees now have something ridiculous like 150 million scheduled for 2008 already! Abreu will do well in the Bronx, unless he gets off to a bad start and the boos start, but that short porch is going to help him.
Just saw Buster Olney on ESPN and he said that the Yankees are still planning to bring Sheffield back next year, primarily as a DH, but could have him play first since he is a former 3rd baseman. They must really not trust Giambi's glove.

FreeTedWilliams said:
But he made the Yankees pick up his 16 mil option for next year.
It wasn't an option. He was already signed through 2007. He had an option for '08, but the Yanks refused to pick it up.

this trade is so overratted.abreu is on the down side of his carrer .hes got only 8 hrs this year .i dont see him as a difference maker .picking up lidle is ok but we are talking about a guy with a 4 somthing era in the national league.obviously the american league east is a whole different story .our biggest problem isnt the stinkees its the injuries.if we can stay close and wells does ok and we get back wakefield .the sox will be in the playoffs .

Agreed, this trade is very overrated. I know it's typical Sox fan paranoia to accuse the sports media of being pro-Yanks, but this is a good example. The not-so-subtle Yahoo headline was hailing the genius of Steinbrenner. I know a lot of Yankees fans that will probably be pissed at this trade if anything; they've given away a lot of minor league prospects (not that these guys were major prospects) in favor of hired guns.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back