PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yahoo:The NFL's officiating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Yahoo:The NFL's officiating problem

The NFL's officiating problem, or as Alex Boone describes it: 'Those refs sucked'

Actually, there may have been five worse calls in the final 20 minutes of Sunday night's game between the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots. If you're from Boston, you'd have a legitimate gripe about 1) A running-into-the-kicker penalty at midfield that was ignored by the officials with 1:40 remaining in the third quarter, 2) The offensive pass interference call againstRob Gronkowski that negated a third-down conversion with 5:22 remaining in the fourth quarter, 3) Shaq Barrett launching his entire body at Tom Brady's head on the replay of third down, 4) A defensive holding call against Patrick Chung that turned Denver's third-and-15 into a first-and-goal with 1:09 left in regulation and 5) Aqib Talib's blatant hold of Brandon LaFell on the firs play from scrimmage in overtime. Am I missing some others? Yeah, probably.

I just got madder reading this.

Skip Bayless went off on the officiating too.

I'm glad it's getting some attention. We were robbed to the point where it felt like cheating. It wasn't just one bad call or a couple of ticky tack calls. There were a lot of over the top egregious calls and non calls in key situations all going one way.

Skip Bayless went off on the officiating too.

I'm glad it's getting some attention. We were robbed to the point where it felt like cheating. It wasn't just one bad call or a couple of ticky tack calls. There were a lot of over the top egregious calls and non calls in key situations all going one way.

It was fixed. Didn't feel like cheating, it WAS cheating. For so many pundits who are Pats haters/indifferent to be so incensed is very, very telling. It's like they thought the NFL was on the up and up and are shocked to find it isn't.

Reading these articles--particularly the one with Boomer, for some odd reason...I'm starting to feel almost relieved it happened. I can just so easily imagine reading exactly the same stuff in the AFC Championship game, or the Super Bowl...people acknowledging how terrible it was, what a fiasco, not fair to the Patriots...before moving on to how about that Brock? Or wow, Cam Newton's got a Super Bowl ring!

It's almost like we had a bad dream last night (I'm so tired and out of it today, it feels like it) and even though you kind of feel weird and bad after, you're just so glad it was only a dream. In this case, I'm just so glad it was only a regular season game.

It happened. It's over. People noticed how bad it was. But we're still here, still standing.

But....but....but....I thought the Pats were the only entity that cheats! The fake tuck rule, the camera spying, the deflated footballs! :D

.....on a serious note, it seems like the tide is turning. You can only try and screw someone so long before the perception changes and it seemingly is. The entire sports media is blasting the NFL for a clear bias in officiating.

They can talk about Brock Osweiler and CJ Anderson all they want, but the national story today is how the better team lost because of the refs, and I'm glad it's getting attention.

Anyone watch yesterday's Arizona game. Multiple times I posted the only explanation for several pro-Arizona rulings.....The Fix was In.
Goodell and his henchmen have clearly manufactured a winners list and the Cardinals are on top of it

I'm really curious about the clock issue at the end of regulation (which ended up not mattering, but still). So the defense has the lead, but is out of timeouts. The other team is driving. You decide to have players fake injuries. They can't charge you time outs, because you have none left. "Excess time outs"? WTF is that?

There's no 10 second runoff, because that penalizes the team trying to drive to score to tie/win the game. There doesn't appear to be any consequence in this case for the defense to fake injuries (or have real ones, for that matter). Is there a penalty that will be assessed? If not, why wasn't it assessed against Denver? What's to stop teams from simply faking injuries in this situation to slow the other team's momentum down?

It's great some people in the media are recognizing this problem, but nothing will be done about it as long as Roger F ing Goddell is in charge . His only agenda these days are to try to take the Patriots down and he will do whatever necessary to achieve that. The league never had any of these issues when Tagliabue was in charge, some minor stuff sure but nothing on this scale !!. I can't stand that slime ball and now more than ever I desperately want the Pats to hoist # 5 .

I can deal with losing because of some non-calls. That happens. It's a fast moving game and the refs can't see everything. I see it as completely different when a game is lost because flags are thrown when they shouldn't be. That's just inexcusable. I don't like benefiting from BS flags either. Didn't like the Boyce PI call against the Browns in 2013.

Did you all hear the rant that Bob Kraft went on after this game where he called out the NFL* for all the blatant crap the league is pulling on the Pats?

Me neither.

But....but....but....I thought the Pats were the only entity that cheats! The fake tuck rule, the camera spying, the deflated footballs! :D

.....on a serious note, it seems like the tide is turning. You can only try and screw someone so long before the perception changes and it seemingly is. The entire sports media is blasting the NFL for a clear bias in officiating.

They can talk about Brock Osweiler and CJ Anderson all they want, but the national story today is how the better team lost because of the refs, and I'm glad it's getting attention.

Yeah the NFL is doing this for a while but I think things got a little out of hand yesterday with that exaggeration and people are talking about it. Keep it coming, I hope gets worse.

Has the clock resumption been explained?

It's great some people in the media are recognizing this problem, but nothing will be done about it as long as Roger F ing Goddell is in charge . His only agenda these days are to try to take the Patriots down and he will do whatever necessary to achieve that. The league never had any of these issues when Tagliabue was in charge, some minor stuff sure but nothing on this scale !!. I can't stand that slime ball and now more than ever I desperately want the Pats to hoist # 5 .
I hate to say it, but I expect nothing will be done about it because that game was called exactly the way Goodell wanted it. I'm pretty well convinced at this point that the NFL has just decided 'hell no, NE is NOT winning this year. I am NOT going to hand that Trophy to them again!', and all their dignity, credibility and vaunted 'integrity' can go hang.

Yeah the NFL is doing this for a while but I think things got a little out of hand yesterday with that exaggeration and people are talking about it. Keep it coming, I hope gets worse.
Most people who aren't NE fans are mostly applauding.

To be a fly on the wall listening to Brady lambaste that head ref play after play after play. The guy wouldn't look Brady in the eye.
Halftime orders had been giving. Since Operation Deflation had been a failure.......this time....PhaseII.....Operation Puncture was a go ........FINISH THEM once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back